free hit
counters
Calling All S1/S2/Pre '85 S3 Owners Worldwide! - Page 5 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Calling All S1/S2/Pre '85 S3 Owners Worldwide!

Yes yes yes and yes again :rofl: im in:)

1. Tony K

2. Esprit S2 (Paul Baxter)

3. Troy

4. Peteyg (Pete Gentilli)

5. yeller77 (Eric)

6. matk

7. ghe67 (giorgio)

8. dwil

9. Matwatts

10. Mark p

11. beagle!

12. Franky (Esprit S2 JPS)

13. JeanVM (Esprit S1)

14. Mundo

15. LOTUS

16. Rich S.

17. Mikes2esprit1979

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thats correct, it would be difficult to get the springs right first time. Also, on the pre-85 the lower link twists as it goes up and down as its located front-rear by the ARB. So the lower shock

So it's looking like nothing will ever come of this? What a tragedy! I have a 1978 Esprit S2 that needs a suspension overhaul and I would have snapped up a Bilstein/Eibach setup in a second.

Has there been any update on this? If we could hold of the specs, could we not get some made etc? 

Posted Images

Does anybody know what sort of timescales are involved? i.e. when are they going to be available.

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Can you double check this. I know Louts have a new suspension set up for 85 on. My understanding was that 84 and earlier was the same as the S1 and S2

Jim

As this section of Lotus Esprit World says, the S3 and Turbo had a new chassis which included the suspension from the Elite. This gave some economies of scale allowed them to reduce the selling price of the car from what they were asking for for the S2. The S1 and S2 (and S2.2) front suspension was based on parts from Opel cars while the S3 used a Triumph upright similar to the old Elan's. I think the 1985 upgrade introduced Toyota parts.

There is some more information in this topic.

However, this thread is titled "Calling all S1/S2Pre '85 S3 Owners Worldwide." Is that right? Should they be included together?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I know things changed quite a bit with the 85 Turbo and this upgrade is available now for everything 85 and newer. I thought the early Turbos were quite similar to the cars that came before. Who ever started this seems to have a contact at Lotus. Please ask if this is appropriate for early Turbos and if not when are they going to finally get around to them?

Thanks

Jim

I will buy a set :)

Scott

1. Tony K

3. Troy

5. yeller77 (Eric)

6. matk

7. ghe67 (giorgio)

8. dwil

9. Matwatts

10. Mark p

11. beagle!

13. JeanVM (Esprit S1)

14. Mundo

15. LOTUS

16. Rich S.

17. Mikes2esprit1979

18. scottmgibb

I know things changed quite a bit with the 85 Turbo and this upgrade is available now for everything 85 and newer. I thought the early Turbos were quite similar to the cars that came before. Who ever started this seems to have a contact at Lotus. Please ask if this is appropriate for early Turbos and if not when are they going to finally get around to them?

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim - This topic is all about your question. Lotus are not going to invest in the pre-85 car suspension unless there is a market for it. Engineering have completed much of the work required but ASO need to give it the green light from a financial perspective and with only 18 names so far it's uneconomical at present for the project to proceed.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The price, as mentioned in this thread, will be comparable to other options and in the region of

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in. My frame sits naked and waiting for new springs and shocks. I'd even heard from another (turbo) esprit owner of a contact at Eibach about springs suited to Esprits. Unfortunately, the contact moved on to another job and no one was able to help. The timing is perfect for me.

Question :

Will new Bilstein/Eibach dampers, springs fit on a pre 85 Esprit turbo rear axle?

Thought that for the S3 turbo (pre 85) only front suspension setup was different.

Cheers

Marc

by new Bilstein/Eibach dampers,springs I mean the ones already available for the 85-87 models

Cheers

post-4237-1208017661.gif

I am certainly interested in the kit and 800 Pounds is an acceptable price as far as I am concerned. I too would like to know if the bushings are included in the kit or if they could at least be offered as "extra optional items" as part of the programme.

Ian Munro

JPS 032

1. Tony K

3. Troy

5. yeller77 (Eric)

6. matk

7. ghe67 (giorgio)

8. dwil

9. Matwatts

10. Mark p

11. beagle!

13. JeanVM (Esprit S1)

14. Mundo

15. LOTUS

16. Rich S.

17. Mikes2esprit1979

18. scottmgibb

19. orionflyer74

20. Ian Munro

Guys please keep in mind this thread and list is a commitment, not just an expression of interest. All details of price etc are included in the previous posts (post 78).

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I'm in!

1. Tony K

3. Troy

5. yeller77 (Eric)

6. matk

7. ghe67 (giorgio)

8. dwil

9. Matwatts

10. Mark p

11. beagle!

13. JeanVM (Esprit S1)

14. Mundo

15. LOTUS

16. Rich S.

17. Mikes2esprit1979

18. scottmgibb

19. orionflyer74

20. Ian Munro

21. Rogue_S1 (Rob Roy, Esprit S1)

2 X the fun!

Nose.jpg

I too confirm that I will buy this suspension just as soon as it becomes available.

1. Tony K

3. Troy

5. yeller77 (Eric)

6. matk

7. ghe67 (giorgio)

8. dwil

9. Matwatts

10. Mark p

11. beagle!

13. JeanVM (Esprit S1)

14. Mundo

15. LOTUS

16. Rich S.

17. Mikes2esprit1979

18. scottmgibb

19. orionflyer74

20. Ian Munro

22. HotShoe (Dave Coleman, '78 S1

23. AdamLHelton (Esprit S1)

Edited by AdamLHelton

I too confirm that I will buy this suspension just as soon as it becomes available. Does anyone know what tyres the development work was done with as this is also a critical variable to match.

Cheers

Rohan

1. Tony K

3. Troy

5. yeller77 (Eric)

6. matk

7. ghe67 (giorgio)

8. dwil

9. Matwatts

10. Mark p

11. beagle!

13. JeanVM (Esprit S1)

14. Mundo

15. LOTUS

16. Rich S.

17. Mikes2esprit1979

18. scottmgibb

19. orionflyer74

20. Ian Munro

24. Rohan Hodges (1978 Esprit S1 1/2)

I too confirm that I will buy this suspension just as soon as it becomes available. Does anyone know what tyres the development work was done with as this is also a critical variable to match.

Cheers

Rohnan

Hi Rohnan

The development workhas been done on my S1 which has been at the factory for the past 18 months so that it can be used for testing (see post 27 on this thread for further background).

The car is on the standard Woolfrace wheels and has Goodyear NCT's on the front and Fuldas on the rear.

(The Fuldas were the only tyre i could get in the size and rating required for the rear)

I think its going to be a case of which tyres fit rather than which tyres to choose im afraid.

Cheers

Gordon

Any ideas of when this will be available? I mean saying by the end 2008 is unreal?

How many of us they need to make it possible?

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

Lotus Esprit S2 JPS #27 -restoration process-

All the info you need is in this topic. In the first post it mentions that there is a good chance of this happening if there are 75+ people willing to purchase and the timescale depends entirely on numbers.

Evora NA

Franky

The first post on this thread indicates 75 as a realistic number. We are a long way off that figure. I'm personally dissapointed as I feel there must be plenty more than 75 who want this, but if they don't post here, where's the commercial evidence to get Lotus to do this?

Until we get sufficient numbers listing on this thread, this new suspension WON'T happen!

Edit - Bibs you beat me to it!

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Count me in as a full suspension rebuild is next on my list - as long as it covers '83 Turbo (left factory in Dec '82) - I note the earlier comments about pre '85 Turbos - are we 'in', or 'out'??

1. Tony K

3. Troy

5. yeller77 (Eric)

6. matk

7. ghe67 (giorgio)

8. dwil

9. Matwatts

10. Mark p

11. beagle!

13. JeanVM (Esprit S1)

14. Mundo

15. LOTUS

16. Rich S.

17. Mikes2esprit1979

18. scottmgibb

19. orionflyer74

20. Ian Munro

24. Rohan Hodges (1978 Esprit S1 1/2)

25. Iain Ogilvie (1983 Turbo Esprit)

Edited by Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

I knew that :thumbup: ...

...so where are the rest of us!!!

Is this offer open of course to people outside LEF? I'm sure in France there must be some cars...and also Germany? Italy?

we are not all here are we?

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

Lotus Esprit S2 JPS #27 -restoration process-

How else can we communicate with them, it's available to anyone! :thumbup:

Evora NA

Not to be flippant, but if the testing's been done, there must be some idea on shock type/setting/etc, and spring weights/length, so with 25+ buyers, I'd think that'd be enough to go straight to Koni, H&R, or some-such companies and get a set built up. I'd pay in advance if need be.

-The Shoe-