free hit
counters
Supercharger Pulley - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

How easy/difficult is it to change the pulley on a standard supercharger?

Can you just swap out the pulley or do you need a whole new nose for the supercharger?

Seems like a nose job might be required:

https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product/lotus-evora-s-boost-up-kit-supercharger-nose-and-pulley/

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

As they sell pulleys separately - I guess you only need a pulley?

Bear in mind that: different pulley size = different belt size. 

32 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

When I had my 460 upgrade I kept the original belt. This is because Komotec sell a modified pulley and idler so you keep the standard belt. The 380 cars have a different nose pulley than the 350 so that wasn’t changed.

cheers

PS When H111 do a 460 they send the supercharger back to Komotec to have the pulley changed (at least they used to), so it cant be that straight forward.

8 hours ago, mik said:

As they sell pulleys separately - I guess you only need a pulley?

They do sell the pulleys separately but say:

One pulley, fits MWR boost-up supercharger nose (required)

7 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

When I had my 460 upgrade I kept the original belt. This is because Komotec sell a modified pulley and idler so you keep the standard belt. The 380 cars have a different nose pulley than the 350 so that wasn’t changed.

cheers

PS When H111 do a 460 they send the supercharger back to Komotec to have the pulley changed (at least they used to), so it cant be that straight forward.

Hmmm that suggests to me that you would definitely have to change the nose of the 350 supercharger. Lotus obviously do it themselves to fit the smaller pulley on the 380.

7 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Yes, although I understand that if the pulley is only a little smaller then you can keep the same belt and the various idle wheels take up the slack

Edited by Mattmahope

Anyone know what size the standard pulley is (70mm?) and what size the 380 pulley is?

What size pulley does Komotec use for their kits? I assume they use the same size for all their kits from 390 up to 460, right?

Can'

39 minutes ago, Mattmahope said:

They do sell the pulleys separately but say:

One pulley, fits MWR boost-up supercharger nose (required)

Hmmm that suggests to me that you would definitely have to change the nose of the 350 supercharger. Lotus obviously do it themselves to fit the smaller pulley on the 380.

Yes, although I understand that if the pulley is only a little smaller then you can keep the same belt and the various idle wheels take up the slack

Cant help on the size. I'm away at the moment. Check out Deroure for part number differences, maybe it shows a nose or a pulley?

cheers

By the way, just done a large trip aound the Alps and back and the KT install has been perfect. Only niggle I have is the cold start in a morning, car needs to run for a minute or s to clear its throat (so to speak).

• Like 1

Yup, to confirm, looking at Deroure it does indeed seem like a different supercharger assembly with a 65mm pulley for the 380. Thanks

The original pulley is 69 mm. As mentioned, the "380" pulley is 65 mm. To fit any of the 66, 62, or 58,5 mm pulleys from MWR, you need to change the complete super charger nose (The transmission). Track-Group says they have a solution to provide a 67 mm pulley without changing the "nose". I believe it is by far the most cost efficient of those updgrades, but also the most modest upgrade (~10 hp).

All these alternatives stays well within the supercharger map in terms of both speed and boost and actually the higher boost is generated at a higher efficiency since you move into a more favourable area in the compressor map. It is only the most extreme MWR wheel that brings the compressor out of the sweet spot again.

With this said I do not mean it generally is safer to operate the engine with higher boost, generating more power.

• Like 1