free hit
counters
Dellorto DHLA45E - drilling lead plugs - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
ekwan

Dellorto DHLA45E - drilling lead plugs

I need to clean out some of the internal idle circuit passages which may be blocked due to storage (with fuel) for over 30 years. To do this, I will need to drill some of the lead plugs at the rear of the carburettor on the carburettor-manifold flange. Initially, it will be the smaller idle circuit passage, as adjustment of the idle screws make no difference to the idle characteristics of the engine, and the engine will only run with the throttle plates being opened to a certain extent.

Hence, suspecting they (idle passages) may be blocked.

Untitled-1.jpg.e6ddb4d6514d077861e67fd334388580.jpg

Just wondering if anyone on TLF has ever done this before, or has a procedure for doing this. Like the drill size to use, and depth of the drilling etc., and subsequently how to re-plug the hole.

TIA.

Edited by ekwan
added info

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
12 hours ago, ekwan said:

subsequently how to re-plug the hole.

Never done it but I think anglers lead shot would be worth try. 😀

I wonder if you drill the plug, you could pull the rest of the plug out with a suitable small Tap/Tap holder?   (Never tried it!)

10 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

I wonder if you drill the plug, you could pull the rest of the plug out with a suitable small Tap/Tap holder?   (Never tried it!)

Any idea how deep to drill?