free hit
counters
Which would you buy? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Had Nitrons on my Elise and was very happy with them. 

• Thanks 1

Nitrons seem to be the shock for the Elise/Exige while the Ohlins seem to have been better tuned to the Evora's

• Thanks 1

The Nitrons work just as well on an Evora. 

And the Ohlins are about 3x the price of the Nitrons. 

• Thanks 1

Neither, unless you are taking the car on track. Neither, unless you know what your current set up is failing at.

For the road the standard Bilsteins are a good compromise of handling ( which btw is the best handling car in its class imo), and magic carpet ride.  You can improve handling performance for 'pushing on' with very little loss of smooth ride, by getting someone who knows what they are doing to spec a set of 2 way Nitrons. It will be half the cost of the 3 ways and out perform any normal drivers capabilities on the road.

If you are more track focused then I would look at the Ohlins over the Nitrons, but would want to try different spring rates at my favourite track and tune the dampers to them, even with 3 way adjustments. 

Spending hard earned cash on expensive race dampers that wont be used seems crazy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bruss said:

If you are more track focused then I would look at the Ohlins over the Nitrons, but would want to try different spring rates at my favourite track and tune the dampers to them, even with 3 way adjustments.

Do you have a spring recommendation that will go well with the Ohlins?

Thanks

8 hours ago, phenoyz said:

Do you have a spring recommendation that will go well with the Ohlins?

Thanks

Unfortunately no. I've only used the Ohlins on the 2-11.  I run 2 way Nitrons on my Evora and at track I run tyre pressures and stiffness settings by monitoring tyre temps and wear patterns, particularly at the outer edges where there is a convenient wear indicator bar. I've found that at the odd track where a dip or a ridge occurs close to a braking or turning point, the suspension bottoms out ( very rarely). On the other hand the wear bars indicate that at smoother tracks I could do with a bit more 'stiffness'. I had thought that I would fit stiffer springs and recalibrate the shocks but If I were to change anything I think the next move would be to 3 way Ohlins and do some testing for set up.

The good thing about the 2 way Nitrons is that resetting them back to road is just a few turns of a single adjuster.

If you need some advice on set up from someone who can supply either Nitrons or Ohlins and can help with spring rates and damping curves, speak to Chris Randall at Hoffmans in Henly UK.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bruss said:

I run 2 way Nitrons on my Evora

Aren’t your’s(/our’s) 1-way Nitrons?

24 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Aren’t your’s(/our’s) 1-way Nitrons?

Correct.  LOL

(must be the heat)

Edit:

I guess thinking about it , strictly they are 2 ways but only one adjustment for both compression and rebound.  3 ways have separate adjustment for high speed compression, low speed compression, and rebound.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2019 at 01:05, Bravo73 said:

The Nitrons work just as well on an Evora. 

And the Ohlins are about 3x the price of the Nitrons. 

and worth it if that is what you need.

On 24/06/2019 at 03:36, Bruss said:
   On 24/06/2019 at 03:36,  Bruss said: 

Neither, unless you are taking the car on track. Neither, unless you know what your current set up is failing at.

For the road the standard Bilsteins are a good compromise of handling ( which btw is the best handling car in its class imo), and magic carpet ride.  You can improve handling performance for 'pushing on' with very little loss of smooth ride, by getting someone who knows what they are doing to spec a set of 2 way Nitrons. It will be half the cost of the 3 ways and out perform any normal drivers capabilities on the road.

Spending hard earned cash on expensive race dampers that wont be used seems crazy.

Very well put.  The factory settings on the 400 (Lotus describes as "Touring") while a compromise to various markets (daily, street, track) are very well set up by a team of professional chassis engineers and professional drivers, if you what more focus toward track I would suggest the Sport Bilstein setup used on the Sport 410, & GT 410, moving on to more serious suspension and adjustability options you have the factory speed Ohlins/springs combo. Now unless you are just going to set and forget at the factory sugested click settings you have 400 shock settings plus ride height adjustment at your beck and call, how do you improve on the factory (after all you are looking for the 1 right setting out of 399 wrong)?  Repeated driving over a set course, with a driver that has such a great level of consistency that you and you crew can distinguish between a shock setting and a driver error; now repeat rinse at every venue you drive; now ship shocks back for annual rebuild, rinse and repeat.  Now why do you need Ohlins, oh yes the bragging rights "status", and I though it was for race (not track day) lap times.

On 25/06/2019 at 01:21, Bruss said:

but If I were to change anything I think the next move would be to 3 way Ohlins and do some testing for set up.

THIS :)

I had 3-way Exe-TC dampers on my previous 911; truly top-end, hand-built, bespoke stuff from the people who used to make Sebastian Loeb's suspension! They were second-hand, but rebuilt as-new and utterly amazing in their blend of comfort and control.

The stock Evora is better, honestly. It still amazes me every time I drive it how good the ride/handling balance is. I wouldn't change a thing, other than perhaps get a rebuild by Bilstein and refresh everything (mounts, bushes, etc) if I felt the need.

At the moment Lotus are selling off bilsteins on the motorsport auctions site for £180 for all four corners. They are much cheaper than a rebuild and cheaper than buying directly from a Lotus dealer.

I was getting a clunk from my suspension which is now gone and the ride is much better than before (less crashy). My car has done 60k now so well worth replacing for how cheap they are just now.

Nitrons and Ohlins are lovely but I think as said above they are too much for the road.

That’s ridiculously cheap. I bet postage to Australia would be more!

I cannot find any rear dampers on that sight, Dave.

Could you provide a link, if possible, please?

Thanks.

I emailed them about s front damper and springs but they dont have any and directed me back to lotus.

Gav

Thanks for the links, but I don't see any rear dampers for my NA 😞

They come up regularly, do they?

Looks like they have removed them all now :( They were there an hour ago.

I may be wrong but I thought I was only the rear dampers that changed for the S?

@EGTE there were plenty available last night when I posted the link.  Maybe all sold out?  might be worth giving them a call. Click on any advert from the Lotus shop and scroll down to find the phone number.  Its the second time I've seen them pop up so maybe they'll pop up again?  

You can also try ES Motorsports who may some new / reconditioned units for less than a brand new one from Lotus.

46 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

I may be wrong but I thought I was only the rear dampers that changed for the S?

@EGTE there were plenty available last night when I posted the link.  Maybe all sold out?  might be worth giving them a call. Click on any advert from the Lotus shop and scroll down to find the phone number.  Its the second time I've seen them pop up so maybe they'll pop up again?  

You can also try ES Motorsports who may some new / reconditioned units for less than a brand new one from Lotus.

The springs are the same but the damper specs were adjusted to provide a more firm ride.  This is a useful reference

https://wiki.seloc.org/a/Suspension_-_Evora

That being said, I wouldn't have a problem running N/A dampers on my S for a more supple ride (obviously I wouldn't mix and match) - I wonder if this would be okay??  Does anyone know?