free hit
counters
Exige V6S rough idle - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
JCERB

Exige V6S rough idle

Hi All,

Since my last service 6 weeks ago I have noticed a slight miss/rough/lumpy idle from stone cold for the first 5-10 secs then clears? Could this be a spark plug not gapped properly or maybe a coil breaking down?

Many Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have you checked the condition of the air filter, mine was doing the same and I improved it by replacing the air filter which had been in the car from new so it had covered around 13k miles and coming up on 5 years.

Thread & picture here: 

Hi Mario,

The car is running a Komo-Tec carbon fibre air box and remap. The filter is only a year old and hasn't even covered 1k yet. It's always run perfectly with that EX370 kit until now. Thanks a lot for the suggestion. 

1 hour ago, JCERB said:

Hi Mario,

The car is running a Komo-Tec carbon fibre air box and remap. The filter is only a year old and hasn't even covered 1k yet. It's always run perfectly with that EX370 kit until now. Thanks a lot for the suggestion. 

My KT460 (and others I know of) can have a rough idle for about a minute when starting them from cold. I suggest leaving it to idle for a minute before driving :)

Ah the other one with the best colour😀. Strange thing is it's only just started? Was thinking MAF or plugs. Hope it's not a coil looking at the ridiculous price of them!

Probably the fuel trims are reset when they did the service. 'out if the box' they do run rough when no longer on the OEM air box due to the lack of the 'smaller diameter' trajectory under 4000 rpm. 

Try this: start the car without touching the throttle pedal and let it idle for +10 mins. Then turn off. Might do the trick (same procedure applies when switching air boxes) 

Edited by Kristof Thys
Typo...

Hi Kristof, I specifically told the dealer not to touch anything software related due to the map. I will try that anyway and thanks for that. I was concerned it maybe a spark plug gap or something not set right as these were changed?

When I installed the EX370 kit  a year ago everything was absolutely perfect until this latest service, maybe it's a coincidence...

My KT460 takes a run of around 1000m to clear itself after starting from cold, same as GFW.

cheers

14 minutes ago, JCERB said:

I specifically told the dealer not to touch anything software related due to the map

Short term fuel trims can be reset due to disconnecting the battery, without any software related intervention. What @Kristof Thys has suggested makes perfect sense. :thumbup:

Edited by vd9
  • Haha 1

Thanks very much guys, I have disconnected the battery for a while and on start up all seemed ok! I'm not sure if it was stone cold from hours before, but will check tomorrow and get back. I also let it idle for 15 mins with no touch of the throttle, then turned off.

Alas still exactly the same! Must be an underlying problem as it never did it before. To suddenly start points at something...

Noticed when I fully prime the pump it seems fine. Before maybe I wasn't doing this for the full duration. Does everyone make sure their pumps are primed before turning over? Hoping the pump is ok, it's only done 9k.

Cheers

I generally wait until that priming noise finished before I flick the ignition one more notch to start the car. As per the comments above, a good idle for 10minutes maybe worth while if not tried already, you could also give your MAF a clean as a hygiene.

www.alias23.com

Cheers Imran, probably just got out of the habit as it's a squeeze to get in, so usually start it before I get in now. Better keep off those pies! I had thought MAF with KT filter.