free hit
counters
Number plate - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Any reason I cant put my plate on the front intake grill like a 410?

_20190627_222116_compress16.jpg

Edited by MAG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've done it on my pre facelift 350. I'll grab you some pics if you want tomorrow?

Its a different mesh so you can't just buy the mounts and put them in, so I got white/clear cable ties and drilled 2 holes close ish together and tied it on that way - 5 minute job. 

• Like 1

It’s a different mointing arrangement.  Your Exige has a number plate plinth screwed on below the lower edge of the radiator air intake.  By contrast, the 410 has a metal grille incorporating a totally different number plate mounting - and the grille is bonded to the clamshell.

To move the number plate, you’d have to improvise an attachment point.

8 minutes ago, RoflOnMyWaffle said:

"You could be fined up to £1,000" 

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates That's why. 

It fell off. It’s in my passenger footwell. On way to Halfords for fixings. 

Lots of cars run without them without much grief. 

19 minutes ago, Edinburgh 111s said:

Yeah, many cars get away with it, but I'm not willing to risk up to £1000 for my grille looking a bit cleaner thanks :P

22 minutes ago, Edinburgh 111s said:

I guess the plinth/bracket - and its bolts - fell off as well 🙂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Edinburgh 111s said:

Cop: but You live in Edinburgh?

You: yeees.

Cop: we are in Braemar.

You: erm....

Fair play if you can brass-neck it out sir. 😎

• Haha 2

Lots of cars run without them without much grief

Try to live in a country where (almost) everyone disregards the law, it may help to understand the value of it. :rolleyes:

Should be fairly simple to unbolt and remove the original bracket then improvise a bolt based method of attachment to the grill. Also, I'll be swapping to a private plate soon with one less character so I can have it made a little smaller too 😁

9 hours ago, Edinburgh 111s said:

100% this.

mine is in my passenger footwell, and having passed in excess of 20 cop cars in the last 18 months, my conclusion is they are so busy looking at the car they don’t notice. 

They look, even had a few wave but not one pull me up for no front plate!

I live by the main road which the police come down daily. Not quite as bad as @GFWilliams  mind you.

Plus it's a bit hard to claim " on my way to fix it now " at 7pm at night :P

Just isn't for me, I'm a wuss, sorry! 

2 minutes ago, RoflOnMyWaffle said:

I live by the main road which the police come down daily. Not quite as bad as @GFWilliams  mind you.

Plus it's a bit hard to claim " on my way to fix it now " at 7pm at night :P

Just isn't for me, I'm a wuss, sorry! 

I unfortunately have to pass about 10 parked police cars, often with the police walking to the cars, in order to leave my flat, as you know. Having said that, I’ve driven past them many times with no front plate (when it did actually fall off!) and had no issues.

1 hour ago, BatMobile said:

100% this.

mine is in my passenger footwell, and having passed in excess of 20 cop cars in the last 18 months, my conclusion is they are so busy looking at the car they don’t notice. 

They look, even had a few wave but not one pull me up for no front plate!

Agreed. Same for me.... as long as it’s in the car and you state it simply fell off it should be ok. Worst case is normally a fixed penalty of £60 

4 hours ago, MAG said:

Should be fairly simple to unbolt and remove the original bracket then improvise a bolt based method of attachment to the grill. Also, I'll be swapping to a private plate soon with one less character so I can have it made a little smaller too 😁

Another observation within this thread where some contributors appear to advocate unlawful behaviour - display of a malformed or undersize number plate is a greater offence (with higher penalties) than not displaying a plate at all...

• Like 1

if you dont have a front number plate........you cannot be read by ANPR.....or average speed cameras.....or gatso's........

and therefore are not able to be prosecuted if you are speeding...............

hey but there again.....neither can motorbikes.......

I live next to the cat and fiddle........one of the most dangerous roads in the uk as the bikers use it as a sort of Isle of Man TT replica......

anyway the council spent hundred of thousands (not the sugary sprinkles.....altho' it might as well have been) on average speed cameras.......

they never caught a bike.......and most of them except 3 have been turned off.........

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

9 minutes ago, LotusPilot said:

Another observation within this thread where some contributors appear to advocate unlawful behaviour - display of a malformed or undersize number plate is a greater offence (with higher penalties) than not displaying a plate at all...

Thats not what was said. If you have less characters you can have a smaller plate. The law states:

• characters must be 79mm tall
  • characters (except the number 1 or letter I) must be 50mm wide
  • the character stroke (the thickness of the black print) must be 14mm
  • the space between characters must be 11mm
  • the space between the age identifier and the random
  • letters must be 33mm
  • the margins at the top, bottom and side of the plate must be 11mm
  • vertical space between the age identifier and the random letters must be 19mm.

So you can have a smaller plate than is the UK standard if you have less characters. I have smaller plates than dealer fit as I have less characters because the dealer fitted ones were mainly white/yellow space, all perfectly legal.

See here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/783978/vehicle-registration-numbers-and_number-plates-inf104.pdf

I've run a 4 digit minimum space plate for 20+ years. Coppers round here are a mare if you don't have a front plate (including one who was a mate). The number plate must still also have the components supplier/suppliers mark and BS number or it is technically illegal. I've had them before now, minimum legal spacing but no BS (as it was a standard plate I cut the ends off) and got grief for it. For years I even had a laminated copy of a letter from the DVLA stating there was no minimum plate size. On a side note, when the new registration format came out they actually slightly reduced the letter size, so my plate shrank even more!

I also run a 6 digit (but slightly undersized plate) on the front of my mini, the rear is correct but minimum size. A few times ive had police cars going the other way, turn round and follow me. My logic is they see the small front plate but by the time they are following me they've convinced themselves that it must be fine as the rear one is, often as the pnc is then clear they leave you alone.

I got some square sticky back pads that take a tie wrap and just tie wrap the plate to the grill on my GTE. The plate was only on the bumper as per my avatar for a few weeks.

Gav

I guess it all comes down to where you live and how lenient the local police are. I do very little  miles in my car only on B Roads so it reduces the risk of being caught    

There is a guy on here who put the plate in the grill like the 410 style using wing nuts, but I can’t find the thread.  Sure he was in Northern Ireland and had a Essex Blue V6s.  

There is a guy on here who put the plate in the grill like the 410 style using wing nuts, but I can’t find the thread.  Sure he was in Northern Ireland and had a Essex Blue V6s.  

• Like 2

Yep, I think I'm going to do what he's done 👍

• Like 1

On 28/06/2019 at 17:02, MAG said:

Yep, I think I'm going to do what he's done 👍

PM me your address and will post you a pair of wing nuts and bolts.  I had to buy a pack!

I've always wore a front plate, can't be arsed with the hassle of potentially being pulled over.

As for the excuse "it fell off", coppers will have heard that a million times... better off telling them the dog ate it!!

All done, completely legal and even come with a certificate 😁

DSC_1340_compress73.jpg

DSC_1342_compress94.jpg

• Like 1