free hit
counters
93 1/2 Esprit Timing Belt/engine Whirring - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
urqutro

93 1/2 Esprit Timing Belt/engine Whirring

Hey guys, I have a 93 1/2 esprit with only 19k miles. It had a timing belt done by the dealer 2k miles ago (about 1 year). Anyways, here is the question. I have owned 4 of these cars and this one doesn't "whir" like the others...it does whir.. but not as loudly. Just wondering if perhaps that characteristic whir is created by a tensioner, or something that is not right on this car. Car runs outstanding.. but I am about to do a ton of PUK mods and don't want to install the parts before the car is 100% perfect... thoughts?

Edited by urqutro

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Hey guys, I have a 93 1/2 esprit with only 19k miles. It had a timing belt done by the dealer 2k miles ago (about 1 year). Anyways, here is the question. I have owned 4 of these cars and this one doesn't "whir" like the others...it does whir.. but not as loudly. Just wondering if perhaps that characteristic whir is created by a tensioner, or something that is not right on this car. Car runs outstanding.. but I am about to do a ton of PUK mods and don't want to install the parts before the car is 100% perfect... thoughts?

Which models were the other 3?

I'm thinking the others might have been trapezoidal belts.

Andy

If the belt is too tight it can whine.

If the belt is trying to run off the front of the pulies, it can whine.

If the belt is too loose, it won't whine, but it can slip and cause all knids of broblems.

A tensioner bearing can go, and should be checked with every belt change. Would probably sound more metallic, but can only really be felt when the belt is off and you can turn it by hand.

I would check the tension of the belt and make sure the belt isn't off to one side or the other at the ends of the cams.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album