free hit
counters
ITG Airbox - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Apologies if this has been asked before but does anyone know which ITG Airbox  is used in the BOA CAI kit for the N/A Evora. I have tried searching previous topics and not found an answer. I was thinking I could try and scale up off a picture of one. 

ADR

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The key is not the ITG box and filter but rather the calibrated airflow sensor tube.  BOE's carry over price for the ITG parts is reasonable.  In answer to your question I believe it is the STAB99/73R air box using JC60FC 'R"? replacement filter. R stands full Rebated end, outlet radius is sunken

On 29/06/2019 at 21:44, AndrewR said:

Apologies if this has been asked before but does anyone know which ITG Airbox  is used in the BOA CAI kit for the N/A Evora. I have tried searching previous topics and not found an answer. I was thinking I could try and scale up off a picture of one. 

I have been looking in to doing this as well it seems mad shipping something from the US when it probably left our shore to go there , been to Demon Tweets today and they said if I had dimensions it should be possible to put a kit together.

On 29/06/2019 at 21:44, AndrewR said:

Did you solve this? Happy to take measurements off mine if required

Only here once

Yes I did. I bought an aluminium MAF tube of eBay, needed machining down a bit, the ITG airbox and flexible intake tube of Merlin Motorsport. Then a few bits of silicone hose off Viper performance. Once everything had arrived it took about an hour and a half to fit. Done about 200 miles so far and all is good. Need to finish it off still by painting the MAF tube black and devising a bracket to secure the airbox better. Currently secured with some bits of foam and cable ties. 

The noise is very, very addictive. My 6 year old son insists on the window being down now so he can hear "the super speed noise"

ADR

4 hours ago, AndrewR said:

Yes I did. I bought an aluminium MAF tube of eBay, needed machining down a bit, the ITG airbox and flexible intake tube of Merlin Motorsport. Then a few bits of silicone hose off Viper performance. Once everything had arrived it took about an hour and a half to fit. Done about 200 miles so far and all is good. Need to finish it off still by painting the MAF tube black and devising a bracket to secure the airbox better. Currently secured with some bits of foam and cable ties. 

The noise is very, very addictive. My 6 year old son insists on the window being down now so he can hear "the super speed noise"

Warning ... using a generic MAF tube could be detrimental to you engine.  The factory unit is calibrated between the actual airflow that passes through the tube vs the small area sampling that is seen by teh MAF sensor.  More air flow than sensed means that the engine is actually running leaner than the engine computer believes, initial result is that engine actually makes a bit more power, end result can be an engine and/or transmission (if auto) failure.   Shipping costs are much much less than a new engine.  by the way, my car spent 12 hours on the dyno for BOE to calibrate their MAF tube to the original profile, and the final MAF tube was not the first try.

13 hours ago, AndrewR said:

Julian73, that has been a concern. And I completely understand your comments. The MAF tube I chose is ever so slightly smaller then the stock so if anything the air flow would be slightly less. Before I fitted the new airbox I took reference pics of all of the Spark plugs so I can keep an eye on there condition. I know it is a bit of an old school way of doing it but the plugs will not lie. I have also not driven it hard in anyway to allow the ECU to catch up. 

I do feel a little shady on 'copying' what BOE have done. And I can understand that from their side it is not just the component cost it is also their development time they rightly deserve renumeration for. 

I just thought I would give it a go, that is my nature. Must be the farmer in me. 

In time I will get my self some 2ublar manifolds and at that point I will get the ECU re-mapped. 

ADR

41 minutes ago, AndrewR said:

Julian73, that has been a concern. And I completely understand your comments. The MAF tube I chose is ever so slightly smaller then the stock so if anything the air flow would be slightly less. Before I fitted the new airbox I took reference pics of all of the Spark plugs so I can keep an eye on there condition. I know it is a bit of an old school way of doing it but the plugs will not lie. I have also not driven it hard in anyway to allow the ECU to catch up. 

I do feel a little shady on 'copying' what BOE have done. And I can understand that from their side it is not just the component cost it is also their development time they rightly deserve renumeration for. 

I just thought I would give it a go, that is my nature. Must be the farmer in me. 

In time I will get my self some 2ublar manifolds and at that point I will get the ECU re-mapped. 

I shouldn't worry about 'copying' anyone.

l'd developed and fitted a tube and cone with new maf mount long before BOE got around to it. Born tinkerers like to tinker despite commercial kit being available.

• Like 1

And for that you need an actual air/fuel calibrated sensor and gauge. And you'll see that you run maybe 0.5:1 leaner than with the OEM airbox, which is still pig rich. And you'll also notice your afr's jumping around due to the turbulence a simple pipe without air straightener causes... Just like the Lotus Motorsport carbon pipe and other CAI's on the Exiges. 

Just need to measure to know.  Just like Bruss says, it's not rocket science, but you'll be sureprised to see an 'OEM' part (Lotus Motosport part) is even flawed in design. 

Edited by Kristof Thys

On 26/09/2019 at 20:16, Kristof Thys said:

And for that you need an actual air/fuel calibrated sensor and gauge. And you'll see that you run maybe 0.5:1 leaner than with the OEM airbox, which is still pig rich. And you'll also notice your afr's jumping around due to the turbulence a simple pipe without air straightener causes... Just like the Lotus Motorsport carbon pipe and other CAI's on the Exiges. 

Just need to measure to know.  Just like Bruss says, it's not rocket science, but you'll be sureprised to see an 'OEM' part (Lotus Motosport part) is even flawed in design. 

I maybe should of said I did put a piece of expanded honeycombe (approx 10mm Deep) in between the Airbox and the MAF tube to straighten the airflow.

2019-09-26 17.40.51.jpg

ADR

8 hours ago, AndrewR said:

I maybe should of said I did put a piece of expanded honeycombe (approx 10mm Deep) in between the Airbox and the MAF tube to straighten the airflow.

2019-09-26 17.40.51.jpg

That's perfect! Our tests indeed showed to absolute necessity for such honeycomb! Apologies 

16 hours ago, Kristof Thys said:

That's perfect! Our tests indeed showed to absolute necessity for such honeycomb! Apologies 

No need to apologise. Glad I read through all the older threads now. 

ADR