Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exige V6 ECU - Why So Difficult? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Exige V6 ECU - Why So Difficult?

So what’s the facts as to why it’s so difficult to get access to the stock ECU for remapping?

Is it encrypted so can’t get access? Can you even pull a file? Is it a physical thing where you could open the ECU adjust ‘pins’ and hey presto got access?

You can see where I’m going, keen to understand what people believe is the challenge. Thanks 

www.alias23.com

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

As you know, I looked at a lot of different options here. I wanted to keep the stock ECU if at all possible, but everyone I spoke to said that it was too difficult to access and that the only people who had - KT and SSC - were official Lotus dealers who had paid Lotus handsomely for the privilege.

If you want to use all KT or all SSC hardware upgrades, then that is obviously ideal. Or if you live close enough to either to go and get them to bespoke map your car for you, that also works. For everyone else, a new ECU is the only real option. That has its own advantages of allowing better mapping (can run more sensors for closed loop fuelling etc) and of course you are not tied to any particular brand or tuner. Motec used to be the only option which was frighteningly expensive, but now there is an ECU from ES Motorsport or the ECU Master Black that I am having mapped for me by RRR. Will give you my verdict once I get the car back, so watch this space...

Edited by Mattmahope

32 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Lotus started encrypting their code around 2013/14.

This also means that if you can find a car which hasn’t had any software updates since 2012(ish), the ECU should be relatively easy to access. 

To my knowledge KT don't have full access to the ECU's code for the 380.

cheers

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 13:45, Mattmahope said:

As you know, I looked at a lot of different options here. I wanted to keep the stock ECU if at all possible, but everyone I spoke to said that it was too difficult to access and that the only people who had - KT and SSC - were official Lotus dealers who had paid Lotus handsomely for the privilege.

If you want to use all KT or all SSC hardware upgrades, then that is obviously ideal. Or if you live close enough to either to go and get them to bespoke map your car for you, that also works. For everyone else, a new ECU is the only real option. That has its own advantages of allowing better mapping (can run more sensors for closed loop fuelling etc) and of course you are not tied to any particular brand or tuner. Motec used to be the only option which was frighteningly expensive, but now there is an ECU from ES Motorsport or the ECU Master Black that I am having mapped for me by RRR. Will give you my verdict once I get the car back, so watch this space...

Hi Matt. Are you by any chance the person with full 2bular system that Jim refers to on 2bular website? I am watching that with interest

https://www.2bular.co.uk/news

Edited by RedViper

On 02/07/2019 at 15:56, RedViper said:

Hi Matt. Are you by any chance the person with full 2bular system that Jim refers to on 2bular website? I am watching that with interest

https://www.2bular.co.uk/news

Not sure if I am being referred to specifically there, but it is certainly true that I am in the process of fitting a full 2bular exhaust system with ECU Master Black (already have KT carbon air intake fitted) and then will be getting it mapped by RRR.  I am reluctant to say too much at the moment since the ECU hasn't even been delivered yet, but so far the service from RRR has been excellent.  They have been highly responsive and very good at dealing with my endless ill-informed questions.  Hopefully it continues that way!