free hit
counters
Rusty bolts - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MAG

Rusty bolts

Hi, I've only had my car a couple of weeks and it's only 14 months old but I've noticed that the bolts that hold the radiator cooling fans in place have rusty heads and are visible the the plastic grating. It's visually annoying so I removed the grating, took the bolts out one at a time, cleaned them up and painted the heads with black hammerite anti rust paint. There's a little design flaw in the fact the bolt heads sit in a little recess which I would bet fills up with water when it's damp outside. It's a shame that lotus didn't use a better quality anodised bolt to prevent rusting setting in so quickly...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
19 minutes ago, MAG said:

Hi, I've only had my car a couple of weeks and it's only 14 months old but I've noticed that the bolts that hold the radiator cooling fans in place have rusty heads and are visible the the plastic grating. It's visually annoying so I removed the grating, took the bolts out one at a time, cleaned them up and painted the heads with black hammerite anti rust paint. There's a little design flaw in the fact the bolt heads sit in a little recess which I would bet fills up with water when it's damp outside. It's a shame that lotus didn't use a better quality anodised bolt to prevent rusting setting in so quickly...

Yep, its a stupid oversight. Replaced mine with stainless. Don't think its a problem with the pre 350/380 cars as the fans were underneath but could be wrong. Looks worse with the carbon front panel as you can see through the mesh easier

9 minutes ago, MrP_ said:

Yep, its a stupid oversight. Replaced mine with stainless. Don't think its a problem with the pre 350/380 cars as the fans were underneath but could be wrong. Looks worse with the carbon front panel as you can see through the mesh easier

Thanks, don't suppose you know the size to buy complete replacements?

2 minutes ago, MAG said:

Thanks, don't suppose you know the size to buy complete replacements?

M6 x 25mm should be the right ones

• Like 1

Ditto, mine were rusty at the PDI. Oakmere changed them out for SS ones. I’d also check the screws that hold the plastic bits on the the boot lid, on my old V6S rusty again from new.. just poor quality materials...

Hi Mark, actually those rusty nuts for the boot lid I want to replace also. How are those called/ where to buy as I have never seen this type. 

Screenshot_20190709-193055_Gallery.jpg

2 hours ago, PJ said:

Hi Mark, actually those rusty nuts for the boot lid I want to replace also. How are those called/ where to buy as I have never seen this type. 

I got the dealer to do them, or maybe I removed and treated them. Order one from dealers and source better quality items.

cheers

On 09/07/2019 at 20:30, PJ said:

They are self threading nuts:

https://www.jetpress.com/Products.aspx/nqgtmtvw16/Self-ThreadingNuts-WasherType/

I believe need to be mild steel to they are softer, never seen them in stainless but you could treat with a better paint.

Lotus no longer appear to fit them (presumably to save a few pennies) and have switched to rubber washers and push on fasteners, something like this: https://www.springmasters.com/product-category/push-on-fasteners/quicklock-fixing-washers/

• Like 1