free hit
counters
TRD Airbox - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

FItted the TRD airbox last weekend. Happy with the results.  However the clips all seem to be on the looser side. Filter seems clamped well enough. However the large engine side clip doesn't seem to be tight almost working loose. Is this normal? Feels like there should be an additional gasket to make the clips have a firmer feel when locked. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had a TRD on my Elise and it was always tight and I'm sure didn't have a gasket. Maybe give the clips a slight bend in the middle to tighten them up? 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

That was going to be the next step. 

Every airbox I’ve opened before is pretty tight. 

16 hours ago, Mattb130 said:

FItted the TRD airbox last weekend. Happy with the results.  However the clips all seem to be on the looser side. Filter seems clamped well enough. However the large engine side clip doesn't seem to be tight almost working loose. Is this normal? Feels like there should be an additional gasket to make the clips have a firmer feel when locked. 

No sure what you mean..do you have a picture of the part you refer to please????

On 05/07/2019 at 10:20, Composite guru said:

Have a read through this. See if there is anything you have overlooked.

http://www.billswebspace.com/LotusCupAirboxInstallationEN.pdf

I used the official Lotus instructions but this one is a bit more detailed.

I hadn't found that guide (found similar).  So the issue I have is, if you look at 5.3 it shows correct incorrect in the two images mine is lined up correctly but there is a gap between the metal clip and it isn't firmly closed so its not really doing much.

IkXWw3sqRyucCLW2dZeHCA.jpg

48 minutes ago, Mattb130 said:

I hadn't found that guide (found similar).  So the issue I have is, if you look at 5.3 it shows correct incorrect in the two images mine is lined up correctly but there is a gap between the metal clip and it isn't firmly closed so its not really doing much.

IkXWw3sqRyucCLW2dZeHCA.jpg

Mine is exactly the same as yours. I’ve pulled on it and it does move slightly but the filter interface is only rubber so is not going to be rock solid. 

Those metal clips are doing what they are supposed to be doing. 

2 minutes ago, Composite guru said:

Mine is exactly the same as yours. I’ve pulled on it and it does move slightly but the filter interface is only rubber so is not going to be rock solid. 

Those metal clips are doing what they are supposed to be doing. 

ok good to know. I assumed rightly or wrongly that they would snap shut.  

35 minutes ago, Mattb130 said:

ok good to know. I assumed rightly or wrongly that they would snap shut.  

I think the document i linked is an older design. The holes he shows appear not to be on the air box anymore. They have been replaced by the metal hooks instead. Probably for that very reason that they sometimes don’t engage without you knowing.