free hit
counters
Space saver spare tyre - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hello,

Has anyone any experience / got one for an Excel? If so which one? Ones for the Ford Fiesta seem to be easy and cheap to get.

One thing that I have found in mt research is that the diameter of these space saver spares is nearly always smaller than the diameter of a full tyre, which in my mind says that on a flat surface the spare is off the ground - or does the suspension on that side compensate for this?

Thanks

Brian

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

On many modern cars, the suspension is flexible enough to cope with a few cms difference in rolling diameter, but I think you're right to be think differently for the Excel. These are cars that are quite stiff, so if one tyre is of a smaller diameter then it may make the car slope noticeably, but you'd presumably be driving very sedately when on a space-saver tyre.

Our tyre sizes are quite small by modern standards,  so (if a Fiesta space saver is 125 80 15) then it's only 2.6% different to a standard Excel tyre (215 15 15), or 1.7% to a common replacement (205 50 15 as the 215s are hard to acquire at reasonable cost). At that sort of difference I'd personally not worry.

Andy,

Many thanks for your reply and for confirming my thoughts. Yes, I would drive sedately and straight to a tyre shop, so no distance at all, hopefully. I hope never to have to use it as I will also be carrying an electric pump / foam puncture repair kit.

Brian

Great idea what's the weight saving going to be? Leaving out the can of foam and electric pump?

I think if you punctured on the front that 2% (maybe throw in more deformation on the car because of narrower profile?) difference could be a problem.

I'm not bothered by the weight saving, so I wouldn't know. I'm not looking at getting one so save weight but to find a wheel that will fit into the boot - the full size wheel won't. Hoping a thinner wheel will.

I will also be having the can of foam, the spare wheel being used only if the foam doesn't work.

I was wondering why a full size one wouldn't fit but I'm guessing it's because the Elite used smaller wheels than the Excel, and you're using Excel-size tyres etc.