free hit
counters
Sport 220 vs 250 Cup - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
flukey

Sport 220 vs 250 Cup

Hi all, 

After a long decision making process I've finally decided that I'm going to purchase a new Elise! 

I can just about afford the 220 sport, though I wanted to know if it's worth stretching to (or maybe considering) a used 250 cup?

I can't seem to find anywhere what the actual differences are between the two cars (engine wise)

What changes between the two models to give the extra power, and most importantly - does the cup have a higher redline? Max power is at 7200 according to lotus compared to 6800 for the sport 220. I do love a high redline so this is the main point of interest for me! 

Please let me know if you have any info on this - thanks!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have you read the launch press releases? They may answer some of your questions...

https://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/lotus-cars-news/lotus-announces-new-elise-sport-and-elise-sport-220/

https://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/lotus-cars-news/elise-cup-250-announced-lotus/

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Thanks for the links Bibs! 

I've read through them, and the only performance add-on it mentions for the cup 250 is a charge cooler, though the 220 also has one now. 

Maybe it would just be easier to ask elise 220 owners what their redline is? Is it 7200?

4 hours ago, flukey said:

Thanks for the links Bibs! 

I've read through them, and the only performance add-on it mentions for the cup 250 is a charge cooler, though the 220 also has one now. 

Maybe it would just be easier to ask elise 220 owners what their redline is? Is it 7200?

The 220 has smaller injectors, 250 has the same injectors as the 260.

Also, it uses a smaller SC pulley. The 250 has the potential for slightly higher HP outputs. Exhaust / ECU can get you close to 300 hp.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Petrolgeneration said:

The 220 has smaller injectors, 250 has the same injectors as the 260.

Also, it uses a smaller SC pulley. The 250 has the potential for slightly higher HP outputs. Exhaust / ECU can get you close to 300 hp.

Interesting, so it's not just a simple re-map. I guess it is worth the price premium then! This info is hard to find!

Like i said before, if you have any info on the red-lines of the two cars I'd be very interested 🙂

It's not worth the premium from a performance perspective. they are about the same. 

If you like all the bits (like i do) that you get on a cup then you have to decide what they are worth to you. You won't win at track days in a cup over a 220 though. 

I'd take the 220 in your position, because the experience of buying new is really special (and i attach a value to that). 

33 minutes ago, JG220 said:

It's not worth the premium from a performance perspective. they are about the same. 

If you like all the bits (like i do) that you get on a cup then you have to decide what they are worth to you. You won't win at track days in a cup over a 220 though. 

I'd take the 220 in your position, because the experience of buying new is really special (and i attach a value to that). 

Another nice honest pov from an owner. Lovely.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

5 hours ago, JG220 said:

Thank you for this insight, honestly I think part of the reason I didn't fall in love with my current car (Audi TT) is because it was a stock car that I made a few compromises on when buying it because it was a good deal. For sure I think having a very personal car hand built just for you is part of what attracts me to Lotus, despite some of the 'drawbacks'. I also think that making small modifications to your car keeps it feeling special and you just can't do that with something like an audi (easily at least). At first this attracted me to MX-5's because of their aftermarket scene and then I was like "hey if I can live with an MX-5 as a daily I can live with an elise too - better do it while you're young!" haha. 

• Like 1

I think buying a new factory ordered Lotus is a bit special. If you go that route get your dealer to arrange a factory visit which is well worth while.

Choice between a new 220 or a used 250, I'd go for the new 220 as you can spec it as you want it, and as James mentions above there isn't a world of difference between the two unless you particularly like the more aggressive look of the 250.