free hit
counters
Rear view with ducktail tailgate? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Does anyone have experience of how much more restricted the view straight back in the rear view mirror is with a ducktail v's a glass tailgate, or even better could anyone post a picture from the drivers POV?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think @Bravo73 has this and has described it his car development thread. If it helps, I’ve seen a number of rear views through louvres on Evora vids on YouTube, if you have a look on this one a

It's much more restrictive in my 410Sport compared to my Evora NA  However, as driving a quick glance in the mirror is still all you need to know what is behind you and in 18 months or so it hasn

Not a ducktail but this gives a long view behind, and the mirrors for everything else. 

Posted Images

I think @Bravo73 has this and has described it his car development thread.

If it helps, I’ve seen a number of rear views through louvres on Evora vids on YouTube, if you have a look on this one at about 5:20 you get an idea .

Edited by Ledlights
  • Like 1

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I found plenty of videos through the louvres, which is what got me a little worried about this in the first place. The issue is I've not found any nothing from the drivers view.

• Gold FFM

It's much more restrictive in my 410Sport compared to my Evora NA 

However, as driving a quick glance in the mirror is still all you need to know what is behind you and in 18 months or so it hasn't caused me an issue.

Having said that, the car behinds headlights can be blocked by a louvre and give the impression on you being flashed. Other than that. No issue.

• Thanks 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Lol. Whatever fits your budget. They both look great. The GRP one painted in black and body colour, like Lotus did fir the 410 Sport James Bond tribute I think woukd look stunning.

james_bond_6.jpg

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM
3 minutes ago, Bruss said:

Not a ducktail but this gives a long view behind, and the mirrors for everything else. 

image.jpeg.d19a70b41450e7df359de8b04b2970f1.jpeg

You know, that colour for your car is really growing in me. Looks lovely.

54 minutes ago, G. Bell said:

@C8RKH thanks for the info... so my problem now is carbon or painted GRP?...

If you are just replacing the glass go for the grp insert. If you are going for the full tailgate the non oem replacement cf is only marginally lighter than the grp replacement. Save a lot of money.

• 1 year later...

Bit of a thread resurrection here, but for some reason the glass in the tailgate shattered as I was driving along...

It seems as though the louvred tailgate is the most cost effective option to sort this out, so can I please ask how people bonded it to the tailgate?

619C7529-72CB-46E4-9754-6C58BB439FF7.jpeg

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Jovver said:

Bit of a thread resurrection here, but for some reason the glass in the tailgate shattered as I was driving along...

It seems as though the louvred tailgate is the most cost effective option to sort this out, so can I please ask how people bonded it to the tailgate?

619C7529-72CB-46E4-9754-6C58BB439FF7.jpeg

Wouldn’t an insurance claim (assuming you have full glass cover - mine’s £75 excess with no loss of no claims) be the most cost effective option?

I haven’t bought the entire tailgate, just the louvres that replace the broken glass, so I’m just looking to find out what to use to glue it to the tailgate?

Edited by Jovver
  • Gold FFM

I think @bruss did that upgrade. May be able to help.

In the absence of anyone who has completed this job replying, the normal method for fixing such items is a Urethane glue. This is a a polyurethane sealant, presented in standard cartridges, gets everywhere (so be careful how you apply it) and cures on contact with moisture. Initial grab in an hour and cured in 24. Sika 227.

If you know anyone who does this sort of thing professionally who will do it for you, then Sika 268 is the real bad boy...

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I think @bruss did that upgrade. May be able to help.

My man did it for me. I think he used a very sticky cartridge of something very sticky.  I was thinking of removing the panel to paint it but there is no way it is going to come out without it breaking.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Bruss said:

My man did it for me. I think he used a very sticky cartridge of something very sticky.  I was thinking of removing the panel to paint it but there is no way it is going to come out without it breaking.

If you leave it in direct sun and let it get really hot, the chances are it will ease enough for you to pry it out gently. It's like the stuff they use on the VX220 headlights no doubt. You need to put them in the oven (low) for a while to warm them through.  I'm assuming you do not have an oven big enough for your bootlid. If you do, damn social distancing we'll all come to you for xmas lunch as you'll get an Ostrich roasting in there!!!

@Jovver - Eliseparts I think it is do a product called "Tiger Seal". Pretty sure that would work, as above, it is what is often used to put the headlights back together (waterproof bonding the clear lense to the black unit).

Brilliant, thanks for the help, Tiger Seal  ordered, and the lid is due to arrive tomorrow (great service from Eliseshop).

Just need to get it sprayed, look forward to seeing it in place.