free hit
counters
501 returns to Norfolk for fun and frustration??!! - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Angus553

501 returns to Norfolk for fun and frustration??!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I was very surprised at how many suitcases go in the boot of my Excel - 5 cabin cases plus room for more squashy bags.

• Like 1

Very nice. Post regular updates of progress since it's always good to see an elite being improved and cared for. Welcome to the forums. I had two scimitars and they were great cars but they ruined the brand with the robin!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Clive59 said:

clearly the rear wiper doesn't work...it's missing!  😁

No need for a wiper with a boot that full - never mind the visibility, the mechanism would get tangled in the tagliatelli.😀

Great to see car in practical use

• Like 1

This resto is more of a conservation job it would seem having thought I may replace the vacuum pods with electric motors.

So having fixed many minor  issues, tackled the headlight problem.(MJK was not impressed when he saw it at the Bird in hand lol)

The near light stayed down for 4.5 mins and the offside one for 7 mins and both fully up in ten mins. Not good, only just enough time to get out of the petrol station "looking cool"

Having stripped out the whole system the problem was inevitably the 2 vacuum pods in the front below the light. Managed to break both bolts off in the removal but replaced with new ones and filled the large holes with fibreglass strands and mesh along with lots of resin. Then painted black with waterproof paint.

Hey presto.....nearside stays down for 12 hours and offside for 22 hours and fully up in 26 hours. So it is now factory spec again plus a bit extra.......well pleased.

Managed to break the actuator which is now araldited back together (working though) so if anyone has a spare one Iam definitely interested.

Nice solution. I've done the same, but along way from being able to test currently.

Not sure what you mean by "Actuator". I'd describe these pods as actuators, so clearly you don't mean that.  Can you give another clue to what you're looking for..

Tony

1 hour ago, Tony D said:

Nice solution. I've done the same, but along way from being able to test currently.

Not sure what you mean by "Actuator". I'd describe these pods as actuators, so clearly you don't mean that.  Can you give another clue to what you're looking for..

Tony

1 hour ago, Tony D said:

Tony

1 hour ago, Tony D said:

Tony

My mistake........ Should've been electrically operated headlight vacuum solenoid.

I might have one of them here in Norfolk. As I’m converting to Mazda electric motors although never had the vacuum one up and running.  

Yes the top picture is what i've broken and the second one is what got the fibre glass treatment. Mine are more brass coloured and have an ali bar at the end to stop the needle pinging out but basically its the same part. 

10 minutes ago, Angus553 said:

Yes the top picture is what i've broken and the second one is what got the fibre glass treatment. Mine are more brass coloured and have an ali bar at the end to stop the needle pinging out but basically its the same part. 

Yours if you need one. 

• Like 1