free hit
counters
Alloy wheel refurb ? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Cdm2018

Alloy wheel refurb ?

I recently curbed two alloys trying to get around a broken down car in a car park (gutted) 

I was lucky to have an insurance cover so I called them and a few days later the young guy turned up at house.

he pointed out to my alloys were already sprayed twice in its past ? The original was the silver then sprayed black then sprayed silver again I assume prior to my purchase from Snows some 16 months ago.

now the insurance company alloy guy suggested a have them taken back to black and insurance will pay for two wheel and I pay for the other two ?

Question ?

shall I go for black (gloss or matt or similar) ? Or do I go for Silver be it dull or bright ? Or what about Gold ? 

Its same price whatever , I have Ardent red with black carbon effect vinyl roof and black silk sides & front splitter 

I am having the brake discs all replaced from plain to drilled and repaint the callipers possibly red or yellow ? 

Any  thoughts ???

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've had black , silver and gold on a red Evora at some time or the other. My preference is for the brightest silver you can find. Jaguar bright metallic silver.  However all look good on the red.

Is it worth claiming on your insurance when it’s about £60 a wheel to do ?

11 minutes ago, Stuart Monument said:

Is it worth claiming on your insurance when it’s about £60 a wheel to do ?

I have the insurance to use it pays for two wheels so that £130 back from £400 I paid  for the premium anyway ! So in essence I am getting the alloys refurb for half price !

having looked on the forum pictures and on the internet getting a liking for the gold ? I remember my old Subaru Sti and it’s then classic gold wheels with blue livery was iconic 

Ah that makes sense just didn’t want you loosing no claims. Gold would look awesome in my opinion 

Could you do gold with diamond cut faces like this finish 

114DB3B8-AA43-47A6-AB88-323356F6F90C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Stuart Monument said:

Ah that makes sense just didn’t want you loosing no claims. Gold would look awesome in my opinion 

Could you do gold with diamond cut faces like this finish 

114DB3B8-AA43-47A6-AB88-323356F6F90C.jpeg

Wow didn’t realise that type of finish existed (sorry I live a sheltered life) 

I can ask what is term used to get that finish ? I wonder if the alloy company tasked with the contract will consider it as I guess it much more labour intensive ?

i will need to grab a more detailed picture to show the guy ?  

That’s diamond cutting. Much more expensive job - expect at least £75 a corner for that.

simple powder coat refurb - £50 a corner.

both trade prices. You can expect double that at a retail place

17 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

That’s diamond cutting. Much more expensive job - expect at least £75 a corner for that.

simple powder coat refurb - £50 a corner.

both trade prices. You can expect double that at a retail place

That’s great info I am being quoted £80 so maybe just maybe I can ask for the diamond cutting ? I am getting more drawn to Gold as it’s a little more unusual and I guess it’s got that vintage / heritage look of the Gold leaf team livery ? 

I’d be surprised if your insurance co will pay for diamond cut if your wheels aren’t already diamond cut? Also bear in mind it is a more “fragile” finish so unlikely to last as long before needing more work again.

I really like the current Matt/satin bronze finishes - particularly on a red car. (Can’t find any lotus images unfortunately)

spacer.png

Yes I fear my insurance people won’t stretch to that extent so I guess I am most likely left with just a regular finish 

I know they will have a colour pallet to choose from so it’s case of which one ? 

Bronze not seen this shade and it’s difficult to visualise that from the image on your message ? 

Just google “bronze alloys red car” and select “images”

Think I’ve seen a red Evora and gold wheels before and it looked amazing. It’s a bold colour but you’re fine with it I’m sure it’ll look great. 

Possibly someone here might be able to photo shop the coloured wheels for you if you can supply a photo?

Bronze.

spacer.png

And gold from one of TLF's current members

spacer.png

Cheers Mik

i think I will look at the colour options the alloy guy has at his disposal as I guess it’s limited to what they can carry ? 

I may ask the office if there’s a colour scheme options booklet I can review prior to actual day 

I am definitely changing to all drilled discs and pads  in late August or early September , when I might opt for callipers in yellow 

Above red callipers look good. Not sure yellow, red and gold would be to much. It doesn’t matter what us lot think, you should make it exactly what you would like. Post a pic when it’s done 

A96D1A06-3A44-49C0-A078-B2E072B6C7E1.jpeg

8 hours ago, mik said:

Bronze.

spacer.png

Damn, that's gorgeous!

If you find someone who will do the gold with diamond cut, post it up here as I'm looking to get a set done end of this year. Ta.

Wheels colour is really personal preference, but I’m a big fan of satin black against ardent red. 

48248088092_ae0cc745a2_b.jpg

Edited by DBG

46 minutes ago, Bruss said:

If you find someone who will do the gold with diamond cut, post it up here as I'm looking to get a set done end of this year. Ta.

I would think anyone that does diamond cutting (such as TWS) would do it? Colour the wheel as you want, diamond cut it, apply clearcoat. 

28 minutes ago, mik said:

I would think anyone that does diamond cutting (such as TWS) would do it? Colour the wheel as you want, diamond cut it, apply clearcoat. 

Depends on the wheel shape and material when I enquired a few years ago. Some wheels and lips can't take a cut. Some alloys are more prone to have holes and casting defects.

If the OP (or anyone else) has (had) someone look at the wheel and decides it can be diamond cut then that helps me.

9 minutes ago, Bruss said:

Depends on the wheel shape and material when I enquired a few years ago. Some wheels and lips can't take a cut. Some alloys are more prone to have holes and casting defects.

If the OP (or anyone else) has (had) someone look at the wheel and decides it can be diamond cut then that helps me.

Ok - i think I misunderstood your question. I agree that diamond cutting isnt suitable for all wheels, i just meant that if a company will diamond cut, then the "background" finish in black/grey/gold etc should be pretty flexible.

You don't say whether you have forged or cast wheels. You would need forged wheels to be able to apply a diamond cut.

3 hours ago, Julian73 said:

You don't say whether you have forged or cast wheels. You would need forged wheels to be able to apply a diamond cut.

I assume I have the most basic wheels so maybe I can’t go for diamond cut ? 

13 hours ago, Stuart Monument said:

Above red callipers look good. Not sure yellow, red and gold would be to much. It doesn’t matter what us lot think, you should make it exactly what you would like. Post a pic when it’s done 

A96D1A06-3A44-49C0-A078-B2E072B6C7E1.jpeg

I think maybe the the gold and yellow callipers might be too much of a clash my first thought was for a black semi glossy finish with yellow callipers but then I saw the gold leaf lotus

choices choices choices !!!! 

Just has alloy wheel company they said the only options are silver or black 

I could ask the head office if they will buy in other colours but sounds like a right aggro so think I will stick with black probably gloss black with yellow callipers ?