free hit
counters
Fuel Line Replacement? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Fuel Line Replacement?

OwenGT3

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has had the same problem as me and been able to find someone to fix it? My fuel line on my '97 Esprit GT3 from the fuel filter to the engine intake manifold has perished due to age and heat. It finally split on me Saturday, luckily I wasn't driving it so fuel didn't pump all over the engine. I could see it was bad on closer inspection of the car. This part is no longer available to buy from Lotus as I've tried to order one from SJ Sportscars.

I've taken it off and have dismantled the pipe, which has crimped high pressure ends. I had to cut them off with an angle grinder, basically I've found the fittings are quite old imperial types, so getting something to do the same job is proving difficult to find. I can now use the ends again, just replacing the 'o' ring seals and finding someone who can crimp the new pipe once I find some fuel line. Also I've found out that the 8mm bore is not a usual size for fuel lines, race people opting for a larger bore. Trust Lotus to make a perishable part unavailabe! I thought manufacturers were required to make parts availiable for at least 10 years after production? They must have stopped early then!

Owen

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't know if you already have somebody lined up to do the crimping, but I tend to use a company on the airport industrial estate, Allhose & Hydraulics.

I've used them to repair steering hoses etc, they're normally able to find a way to adapt form one size to another.

Andy

Thanks Andy, that looks like the sort of place I'm looking for. Hopefully should be able to supply the pipe as well. I'm going to reduce the pipe in length as it was 25 inches long and doesn't really need to be that long. Tried it shorter and can get away with 6 inches cut out roughly. It was the length that has caused the problem really, the tension on the rubber being curled like it was caused cracking on the stretched edge.

Thanks again!

Owen.

Edited by OwenGT3

Hi Owen,

Would you by any chance have a pic showing the fuel pipe for confirmation?. With several people lately suffering fire originating from the engine bay, I am concerned with checking the overall condition of my fuel pipe. Certainly a worrying problem.

Regards

Chats

Adam

1999 Lotus Esprit GT3

1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1 1600 though will be an 1800Ti upon completion (Currently in bits all over the garage and has been since 2004)

The fuel line on my SE seems to be made of some sort of plastic tube and has single coil in it at the bulkhead end to take up any vibration. I wonder why Lotus decided to abandon this method on the GT3 or even if it may be possible to fit an SE fuel line to a GT3 maybe ?.

Martyn :thumbsup:

Hi,

Got my car running today with a new fuel line fitted. I went to the place Andy Clements suggested, Allhose & Hydraulics on the Norwich Airport industrial estate. They had to use my old fittings that I had taken off the old fuel pipe as they didn't have any imperial fittings. Cost me

• 2 weeks later...
Martyn, that pipe you refer to is possibly the return fuel line, my GT3 has the same plastic pipe with the loop in it before entering the drivers side baulkhead. You can't mistake the feed pipe as this comes from the large fuel canister filter to the manifold, and it's a lot larger pipe.

Owen,

You're right there is a plastic fuel return line with a loop in it, however the SE does definitely have a plastic feed pipe as well you can see it in the picture below:

post-1506-1184002474.jpg

Would be interested in seeing what your GT3 fuel line looks like if you've got any pictures of it.

Bye

Strange. My GT3 looks exactly like your piccy, Martyn. (Notice the extra cable tie to keep it that darn clip!)

Owen, are you sure you haven't bought a TVR by mistake? :blush::D

Ah the plot thickens then !!!!

Hi,

No I haven't a TVR the last time I looked, although I would settle for one! :thumbsup: A friend at work had one and it spent more time in the garage than on the road! He blew up the engine in the end, put a con rod through the block! :blush: Sold it before reparing it, so lost a lot of money. :D

This is my new fuel line. the old one was very similar except it was black rubber and had a big loop in the line, a bit like your plastic ones. I had to get it made with the old ends and it cost me

Edited by OwenGT3

Hmmm - just my 2p, but you can bet the guys at Hethel put that loop in for a reason...

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

The loop in both the supply and return pipe, is to allow the rigid plastic pipe to flex a little when the engine moves sideways under load. If it was a simple 90 degree bend like Owen's rubber pipe, the plastic pipe would fracture very quickly.

Hi,

The previous pipe was rubber, the new one is rubber, it has enought flex. It will be alright, unlike the ridged plastic pipe which needs the loop to flex. Perhaps the one fitted to my engine wasn't original, it was the loop that caused the cracking, then the cracks finally leaked. I couldn't see the point of a long looped rubber pipe, so I cut the old one until I had a suitable 90 degree bend and used that for my pattern.

Owen.