free hit
counters
Rear Seat Belts - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

guys

Im in the process of completely restoring my Elite.......

I need to get the rear seat belts fitted........

I know its been asked before but which belts are best.....and whos kits do you go with (lotusbits or S&J)

in addition to that how do they fit....and how easy are they to fit.......(I notice they sit under the car....to the rear of the seat......are they snug or do they need a coat of something over the top when finished......or when fitting to stop stuff getting between them and the body?)

its a 78 S1 501.........

thanks

G

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I fitted the lotusbits stainless seatbelt mounts recently - replacing rusty old ones,  so the fitting holes were already there. The body is off so access is great.

Forty quid the pair with mounting bolts.

My lap belts were in good condition so I kept them

Once mounted I filled around them with silicone, to stop road cramp filling the space,  but as it's a fibreglass and stainless sandwich it doesn't really matter.

IMG_20190711_124546.jpg

• Like 1

@tom kilnerthats brilliant stuff........now heres my really stupid question of the day........

has anyone tried 3 point belts????

Im guessing there is rock all to fix to up there tho'

cheers

G

Lotus bits built a frame in the boot to allow eye bolts through the parcel shelf as a one off for an eclat and it was magazine featured. It mounted onto the thicker fibreglass of the wheelarches.

I had personal reservations about the design, reasoning that a side hit could transfer the impact along the tube and crush the rear passenger with thei harness.

I think a better design would be large spreader plates bolting in to whatever reasonably strong fibrglass exists back there. The problem being that the parcel shelf area is relatively flimsy and thin.

The Excel uses steel spreader plates under the highest part of the wheel arch - maybe you could adapt them?

Pete

it was just a question in my head really........

I have 2 small kids (4 and 3) and they have car seats......they are now on seats that use the cars own 3 point belts..........

however I still have the old ones which have their own independent belts.....these are also a fixed single seat so are one piece rather than a squab and a backrest.....so as long as I can get a single lap belt through.....then Im sure the kids still fit these........they are designed as group 1/2/3 seat....ie toddler to 12 yrs (9kg to 36kg)....so they should work......although the independent belts might need changing for longer ones......

:thumbsup:

the weapon of choice for putting kids in an elite or eclat is the Britax Prince.

This is quite a narrow seat that sits inside the sculpted bucket and its certified for use with a lap belt as well as a 3 point belt.

• Like 1

I had ......still have......2 recaro young sport hero's......followed by 2 Recaro milano.......both pretty narrow the get them side by side in the back of the evora......lol.......I'm hoping the young sport hero's are the seat that'll work......

So if you can sort lap-belt-fit child seats up to age 12 that fit in the back then you're sorted until 2027. By then you might come up with a plan you're happy with for kids 12+😀

Mine use the lap belts.😶

I've seen a 3 point belt fitted but as dunc points out,  you may be introducing other risks.😕

My primary safety concern now for rear passengers is exit in a fire. I think the car's interior is quite a safe space otherwise, and insurance premiums certainly show that classic drivers are a comparatively low risk.