free hit
counters
Pipes Rubbing? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Pipes Rubbing?

OwenGT3

Hi Everyone,

I've done a load more maintenance on my Esprit GT3 this weekend and found some items that would become future problems. I noticed that with so many pipes in the engine bay for cooling and oil systems, space is a bit tight. I found my oil pipes from the filter that go to the front oil cooler and back rubbing pressed hard against the chassis. This must be common as a protection rubber edge was covering the metal they rested on, but it still isn't good for the pipes to be resting like this. I moved them away from the chassis simply by using a tie strap, but allowing it to still move. You could already see a small indentation in the pipe from movement.

Also noticed one of the water cooling pipes doing the same, but against the engine. This again was solved by using tie straps to keep the pipe away from chaffing objects like the engine or chassis. Any of these pipes could wear through at anytime causing a major problem with the engine, I'm surprised the car was designed with so little care for pipe routing and what they rest against. :thumbsup:

Don't know if anyone else has experienced this happening, but its worth checking them, could save a lot of money in the future.

Another pipe I found to have a problem was the vaccum pipe from the pump that controls the heater controls. Having removed the boot floor to fix my gear linkage I discovered the vaccum pipe had been squashed between the boot floor panel and the side baulkheads. I've repaired and replaced the pipe and made a small channel to allow this not to happen in future. This has now improved my demisting vents 100%, which couldn't have been working since owning the car, I could actually hear the vents changing direction. The previous owner must have had loads of problems in the damp weather, I've reconnected the pipe onto the dash pod duct which was off and now improved the vaccum pump, so I should have a decent ventilation system now. The air flowing out of the vents onto the screen was amazing, never been so strong! :)

Now to just fix this fuel pipe problem! :rtfm:

Owen.

Edited by OwenGT3

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic