free hit
counters
Evora 400, then 430, then 410, then [Fed] GT ‘look’ - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Suddabym

Evora 400, then 430, then 410, then [Fed] GT ‘look’

Superdudes!  

Am Confused.  

Back in ‘15 Lotus launches the revised 400, with new front and rear all aero’d and federalised, with the side indicator wotsits.  And everyone is super impressed, and it looks like the plan is to sell this heavily revised car globally.  Job.  Done.  Well done Lotus for standardising the Evora for all markets.  Nice and simple.

But...then (in what, ‘17?) Lotus launches a limited run (of 60) 430, with an entirely new front and rear, all new aero’d and with supercool looks.  But, without the US indicator wotsits, so obviously not for the US market, even though they worked so hard to make the 400 a global car.  So, fine, limited run; but surely Lotus wouldn’t have gone to all that effort for 60 cars.

Of course not...so then (in what, ‘18?) they launch the 410 (again, having just launched the 410, as a 400 special type thing), only this time unlimited and even bin the new old 400 altogether. Makes sense, why spend all that R&D on a new look only to throw it all away after 60 cars (but then there were 60 more, for the US, I think).  

Only the new look, fresh after the old new look, isn’t global.  So now they have a problem - the US market now only has a car that suddenly isn’t the new look car anymore, and also isn’t even available (at least in all other markets).  So, then Lotus launch the GT for the US, which allows variable power output depending on local US weirdness, and with a patchwork approach to the look being necessitated by rules that Lotus did follow for the 400, but then didn’t with the 430 update.

So, my question is this - have I missed something; did Lotus have a master plan all along, or is it as it appears?

* Personally, I respected the new 400 for it’s engineering improvements and the more new 430/new new 410 for it’s beauty and suddenly revised aero, but surely Lotus didn’t go to all that trouble to create the federalised 400 look and aero, just to throw it away after 2 years and replace it with something that wasn’t US compliant, only to then cobble something together from bits from different updates, because they did do the federalisation on some bits, but not others (noting that’s the US GT is a good looking, well specc’d car)

Sudders and Dany

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Agreed, of course, but surely it can’t actually be as it appears?

Cue insider gossip...

Sudders and Dany

spacer.png

• Like 1

Previously owned : Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Baldric was right it’s was a cunning plan, sell more cars by doing the Porsche thing hot it up and leave shut off including weight and charge more, works for Porsche so why not.

Edited by au-yt

On 16/07/2019 at 01:25, Suddabym said:

Superdudes!  

Am Confused.   ...

You forgot an iteration, before the 430 and then 410 S3, the world got the 410 S2

Edited by Julian73

14 hours ago, Julian73 said:

You forgot an iteration, before the 430 and then 410 S3, the world got the 410 S2

No I didn’t. It’s right there, para 3, in brackets. 

To be honest, when I wrote this, I kinda thought someone with cleverness would respond and tell me (us) that there was reason behind this seeming marketing madness. To my surprise, the tumbleweed rolled in and no one stepped up. Get the feeling there’s a lot of fingers in ears. I love Lotus, I’ve owned 10, but to me this seems turbo barking. I bet Pistonheads would have an opinion (but I’m too scared to find out).

Sudders and Dany

Of course it wasn't planned. Lotus have had to make the best job they could using the parts that are USA approved. They've done a good job but planned? Nah.