free hit
counters
which fuel????? - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

with all this talk about changing from E5 to E10 fuels (5% Ethanol to 10% Ethanol)

what will the Elite/Eclat run on?...........

I know that the Elan (89-94) the Elise (Rover K Series)  and the Europa (06-10) wont.....nor will the NA Esprits

just a thought...........

what do you put in yours?????

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm sure they will all run fine on 95, but I only use 97/98 in any Lotus.

Less risk of detonation on carbs, potiental of more power with forced induction and less bio ethanol as a bonus.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I only use Shell V Power. Or if not available, BP or Esso. 

I don't use supermarket fuel as I am told it is not reliably sourced in terms of quality. 

Justin 

• Like 1

I don't believe that as there are only a very small number of refineries in the UK were the fuel comes from. The only difference, I believe, is the chemical mix the tanker driver adds AFTER the raw fuel is pumped into his tank.

I've been using Tesco Momentum mostly (99) with no issues at all.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

I remember years ago, Graham Arnold at Club Lotus confirmed that the Eclat, & Elite were made to run on unleaded fuel from day 1. However, as with others on here, I only use Shell V Power , or other manufactures higher octane. I too have heard the stories about supermarket fuel. Why take the risk with your beloved Lotus? 

• Like 2

My 1967 Fiat 500 runs fine on V Power or similar. I once put supermarket fuel in it and it did not like it. 

That was 10 years ago, things may have changed but I figure, why take the chance. Put the best in you can afford; these cars are for my pleasure, so I am happy to pamper them.

Germany has 102 Octane Shell V Power. Yummy. 

Justin

So the fact Momentum at 99 is higher rated than vpower et al it still ranks as inferior?

There are 6 refineries in the UK. Non of them are owned nor run be either BP or Shell I believe.

So your petrol will most likely come from your nearest refinery, e.g. Ineos Grangemouth if you live in Scotland. As I said earlier I believe the only difference is the "sachet" of ready mix additive supplied for the tanker driver to put in.

I think there's a lot of interent "rumour" re this. Sure, the additives do differ, but 99% of what was in the tanker is the same surely.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

It is indeed totally unacceptable that what we put in our cars is unknown in detail.

We pay far too much and contribute far too much in tax for it to be unclear. Wouldnt it be nice to have a live content readout at each pump, showing the octane, ethanol content etc. Probably not possible but we wouldnt buy a chicken* without a displayed sell by date!?!

I too do my best to only use Shell V Power in the Esprit.

*please insert fresh/perishable food of choice

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

I would be very happy with Texaco, a company I rate very highly as they sponsored the cricket in 1984...…..I just don't have one near me so I tend to stick to Shell, BP or Esso. 

I can only go on my experience, as I will never be a petroleum expert. I had a bad experience, so I avoid supermarket unbranded fuel. 

Justin

I had fuel from a "branded garage" that had water or some other contaminants in it. Car (not Lotus) broke down and worked great after fuel system flushed and refilled.

12 hours ago, slewthy said:

It is indeed totally unacceptable that what we put in our cars is unknown in detail.

We pay far too much and contribute far too much in tax for it to be unclear. Wouldnt it be nice to have a live content readout at each pump, showing the octane, ethanol content etc. Probably not possible but we wouldnt buy a lettuce* without a displayed sell by date!?!

I too do my best to only use Shell V Power in the Esprit.

*done

So that we don't upset the Vegans......

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.