free hit
counters
No Corvette Stingray - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
C8RKH

No Corvette Stingray

I'm actually quite liking this. From the front it is very similar to an Evora 400.  It has the targa/open roof the Evora should have had 8 years ago. Hmmm....

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/supercars/new-chevrolet-corvette-will-cost-under-60000

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Be VERY interesting to see the reviews on this car.  On paper, it looks like a half price NSX or R8.  At well under $100,000, it has the potential to upend the sports car market in the US IF (and only IF) it gets buyers who otherwise would never consider a Vette to look at this one.

All I can say is that I personally never liked Vettes, but I’m taking a look at this one

There's definitely a lot of Evora and a fair bit of Ferrari in the new Stingray.  They say it's coming in RHD, so if they get the handling, build quality and UK pricing right then they could be on to a winner.  The numbers are certainly impressive.

The announced price is barely believable with it starting below 60k before adding options and delivery. 

I hope this post won't start a long term process leading to my excommunication from TLF, but here goes anyway.

I, for one, will be taking a very serious look at the C8 Corvette, although likely not til next spring. They will take a couple of months to ramp up production and there has been a sad history of very early adopters of new GM products so even if GM claims to have solved their teething problems it seems prudent to let some time pass before taking any action.

A couple of times over the past year or so my wife and I have batted about the idea of rationalising the current fleet of three Lotus. The Europa is sacrosanct but we have talked about a 2 for 1 reduction by divesting the Elise and Esprit in favour of something that can substitute for both. The Evora has been seriously considered twice - in Evora S and 400 forms - but has been rejected on both occasions.

To explain myself, the issue with the Evora has been its lack of luggage capacity. We usually go on at least one good road trip per year (may have to skip this year due to family commitments) and have a pair of somewhat ratty, mismatched bags that hold enough gear for a week or so and fit easily in any of our three current Lotus. They don't fit in the trunk (okay, boot) of the Evora. I know that the back seat area of the Evora would hold them but we have our reasons for not liking that alternative. So, no Evora.

I watched part of the C8 introduction last night and from what was shown it looks like the luggage issue may be solved. I was somewhat amused that GM was loudly touting the fact of having both front and rear storage space while thinking that my Europa has had that feature for years. What once was old is new again. Although I sincerely hope that the C8's rear trunk will have better thermal insulation than the shake & bake feature of the Europa.

I noticed a couple of other Lotus-like features of the new car as well. One of the things they talked about was low door openings to provide ease of entry are possible because of a backbone chassis structure rather than a tub like many current performance cars. Shades of the Europa and Esprit. And while they didn't talk about it, a cut away rendition of the rear suspension had what looked like modified Chapman struts at the back. And the styling has hints of Elise and Evora about it, at least if you squint a bit.

I'm enough of a neo-Luddite that I'm not too keen on the lack of a three pedal manual transmission but other than that the new Corvette is appealing. Perhaps an update in the spring.

• Like 1

Mike

'97 V8

'73 Europa TC

'10 Elise SC

I’m in the US at the moment and there seems to be quite a buzz about this new Corvette. I have to admit to quite liking the recent iterations anyway, but this new mid engined C8 definitely gets my juices flowing, even more than the latest Mustang, which I’m also a fan of. 

Not sure when the UK gets the C8 bit I’ll be taking a close look at one I think. 

Interesting comments gents and I do think this will be serious competition for Lotus, especially for the Evora. I too will take a look at this when it comes to the UK. It would be churlish not too!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

I'll admit to being a bit puzzled about keeping the Stingray name? If it was an iteration of a front engined, open top car, I could see it.

This is nothing like the Stingray in my book.

At least the Mustang still keeps the noisy bit in the same place.

Having said that, it will still be an interesting vehicle. Even if the back end has just about every geometric shape conceivable making it up.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Difficult to dislike a mid-engined car with a big L-series V8 - although it’s a criminal shame there is no manual option.

styling doesn’t look quite resolved to me, but if it handles then that wouldn’t really matter.

As this is a Lotus forum, I think it might be useful to talk about where it appears the Vette go it right and where it might have missed.  

For me the big winners are:

1) price (of course)

2) retaining the targa top and having a place to stow it in the car

3) luggage space (special kudos for supposedly fitting TWO golf bags

The question marks in my mind are as follows:

1) No manual option; and 

2) Not sure about the ergonomics/layout of the interior

Overall, it looks appealing.  Performance figures mentioned also look promising.  0-60 in under 3 seconds and 1G of lateral force with all season tires.  

People often talk about the NSX and the R8 being everyday super cars, but this car appears to be the true daily driver for a fraction of the price of those two cars.  Paradoxically, purists have criticized the NSX as too complicated and said they wanted a car without the hybrid power train with a much lower curb weight and price.  Well this Vette is probably as close as you will get to that kind of NSX.

I think lots of people will be hard pressed to choose a NSX over the Vette, given the difference in price.  My prediction is that NSX sales will tank even more than they have already tanked due to the new Vette.  

For Lotus, the problem may be the new 2-seater that is the last car to be based on the current Evora platform.  Hard not to see this car going head to head with some version of the Vette.

I like it a lot.

$60K is bargain basement money. If it’s made in RHD, then there’ll be a few people in the UK on the waiting list. I might even be persuaded to sell my S4s to buy one.

Margate Exotics.

The good news and the not so good news.  The car will definitely be made in RHD.  Pricing outside of the USA has not been announced and generally has not been as good as in the USA.  So stay tuned.  I imagine it will still be a good deal, though perhaps not quite as good a deal

18 hours ago, ramjet said:

I'll admit to being a bit puzzled about keeping the Stingray name? If it was an iteration of a front engined, open top car, I could see it.

This is nothing like the Stingray in my book.

At least the Mustang still keeps the noisy bit in the same place.

Having said that, it will still be an interesting vehicle. Even if the back end has just about every geometric shape conceivable making it up.

I think it is part of the Chevrolet effort to spin off Corvette as its own company with the stingray being the first model of this "new brand".  Next up will be the SUV...

Am I the only one who things the quoted $60K price tag is stupidly cheap? I am sure Chevrolet could be asking for a whole lot more than that and would still sell more than they can make. If I was Head of GM I would be furious with the Chevrolet Sales Management for pitching it so far below the Market price level. I can see the price heading North quite quickly!

I imagine that they will probably sell 1 car at $60k. Once all of the usual extras have been added back in (paint, wheels, engine etc), I suspect that the actual price will be $80k+. 

They will be £80k+ by the time that the RHDs arrive in the UK. 

3 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Once all of the usual extras have been added back in (paint, wheels, engine etc), I suspect that the actual price will be $80k+.

Not every car manufacturer charges you for such a commonly used things as aircon, carpets or basic trim - Corvette does not really have much options to be paid for unless you move between the versions of the car (e.g. Stingray to Z06). I also suspect that they figured how to keep an aircon and window seals functional.

You can buy current one for well under £70k in the UK now, and there is no expectation of the new model to be much more expensive.

Edited by vd9

2 hours ago, vd9 said:

You can buy current one for well under £70k in the UK now, and there is no expectation of the new model to be much more expensive.

Is the ‘current one’ an official, RHD import?

For professionals I should have said C7. Obviously, there is no RHD version. Not sure if it makes a lot of sense to assume that factory made RHD version is going to be dramatically more expensive compared to LHD.

Also I take it that irrelevance of the point on "options bringing price up" is not being disputed.

6 hours ago, vd9 said:

Not every car manufacturer charges you for such a commonly used things as aircon, carpets or basic trim - Corvette does not really have much options to be paid for unless you move between the versions of the car (e.g. Stingray to Z06). I also suspect that they figured how to keep an aircon and window seals functional.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if the car is $60k USD, doesn't that equate to only £50k GBP?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

10 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

I imagine that they will probably sell 1 car at $60k. Once all of the usual extras have been added back in (paint, wheels, engine etc), I suspect that the actual price will be $80k+. 

They will be £80k+ by the time that the RHDs arrive in the UK. 

That's why this from Jonny puzzled me?

2 hours ago, vd9 said:

Also I take it that irrelevance of the point on "options bringing price up" is not being disputed.

I’m happy to dispute it all you want (if you’re itching for a fight). The base price is very, very rarely the actual price paid for a car. Just ask any Porsche buyer. 

PS The grey market is not the RRP.

13 minutes ago, ramjet said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but if the car is $60k USD, doesn't that equate to only £50k GBP?

Yes, if you were to buy a $ car in £. But it doesn’t work that way, unfortunately. 

6 minutes ago, ramjet said:

That's why this from Jonny puzzled me?

Traditionally, the UK market price paid in £ is the same as the US market price, just with a $ swapped for a £. It applies to ‘phones, consoles, TVs, cars etc etc. $500 = £500. Is it fair? Hell no. Is it a reality? For us in the UK, unfortunately, yes. 

• Like 1

Ahh. Ok. Didn't know that. I just converted. Consider me a bit more educated now.

8 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

I’m happy to dispute it all you want (if you’re itching for a fight). The base price is very, very rarely the actual price paid for a car. Just ask any Porsche buyer. 

PS The grey market is not the RRP.

You don't need to try to be provocative with statement like "itching for a fight" - looks a bit teeny. And I do know about the way Porsche price lists and options work fairly well, no need to ask anyone. :stuart:

The point is that this car seems to be rather impressive in terms of performance. It is also no Porsche and no Lotus - so one does not need to care for two pages options list with a price tag of a Golf R, and basic for 2019 amenities are going to be there and functional. Looks like there isn't too much to dislike. Perhaps the dimensions can be a bit overwhelming for the UK roads, I'm personally very keen to find out.

Edited by vd9

I reckon there will be an uplift in price as rhd,I’m betting with options it’ll be 80-90k as performance figures will be realistic in that price range against the competition ......and we always get stitched up over here!