free hit
counters
Fan fail - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

So warning light fan fail came on, got home and fans were on, pressed red button on that otter thingy under bonnet next to washer bottle, and warning light went off but fans still going, pull that otterotte thingy off and fans go off...what's going on!

This happens last time I took car out last week but just left it in garage and appeared to be okay today for good 20miles, just happens again, any ideas? Fans still on.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sticking fan relay?

Knackered otter ?

Only here once

Can see three relays behind the washer bottle, assume one of these is for the fans..

Also, when ignition is turned on, can hear a solenoid energized, appears to be from back of car, just can't remember if this is normal!!!

Edited by esprit22
More

That’s probably the fuel pump relay in the back.

Only here once

Apparently that otter thingy is a Thermal Trip 3_way rad. Fans.

Mate, looking in Service Parts Notes, page d4p58 at possible relay, don't make any sense whatever, looks like was written by a politician...just wanna know what relay controls the fans....!!

Get the fans running and pull the relays one at a time - you’ll soon find out if ones for them fans

Only here once

Yeah, that makes sense, thinking it's more gonna be the thermal Trip as ok when cold. 

Thought relays are a bit like fuses, either work or not..?

Relays can get 'sticky'. Instead of operating as they should, they can get stuck 'on'.

Do what Barry suggested. 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Just pulled them out but no difference, must be the thermal thingy, not sure what relay is the one though!

If pulling those relays did not make a difference, you have not got the right relays. Pulling the relay will break the connection and stop the fans as far as I know.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Pulling the thermal Trip off, stops the fans though..

On my Federal '85 the fan relay is in the dash next to the wheel?

5 hours ago, esprit22 said:

Pulling the thermal Trip off, stops the fans though..

You are breaking the circuit. The relays you have pulled so far are not the right one. 

If disconnecting the thermal trip and/or otter stops the fans, that's where the problem is. If it was a relay, the fans would still run even with the otter disconnected. Looks like it's making contact as it should, but not breaking contact when temperature drops again.

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Thanks for your help guys, guess it's gonna be one or the other, just not 100% sure where the relay is located in the car, does anyone know for sure where abouts it is?? A new Thermal Trip from sj's costs about £50 plus vat plus postage so would be good to check out the relay first..if I knew where it is!

This is the Thermal thingy which just unplugs. Pressing the red button turns the fan fail warning light off but doesn't turn fans off, but does when unplugged. 

179.jpg

So had time to check out car the other day, turned

ignition on and no problems at all..reckon could be the otter switch situated in radiator hose under drivers wheel arch, or one of the fans stuck/ sticking, gonna have to get the fans to come on again to be able to find out what's going on.

Did you find the relay?

In my 1985 S3 RHD, it is the most outboard one in front of the windscreen fluid container.

I just replaced the original 1984 Wherle with a 40 amp Hella.

Try to get your fans running by jumping the two Otter switch wires.

John

20190815_141946.jpg

20190808_165120.jpg

Hi John, did start car up recently just to check if fans were still on, but all okay again. Haven't driven car since last post so not gone any further with investigation yet. Was the relay that you changed completely fecked or just breaking down?

Does your car have a/c? Is the a/c on or maybe a fault with the switch/control unit as that will make the fans run with ignition to one click on.

Crikey, yes do have air con albeit run out of gas yonks ago so not used, but you might be on to something here. When I turned ignition on, the fans came on and there was the sound of a solenoid energising at the same time, couldn't work out where the sound was coming from, air con??

yes air con control knob switched on compares temp of evaporator to setting and then sends power to the relay for the fans (to pull air through the condenser and rad and sends power to compressor clutch, you may have a knackered compressor if its been running without gas unless yours has a low pressure cut out switch, mine doesn't (84)

Hi Chris

My fans did not turn on with AC, but did turn on at temp. I re-seated the old fan relay and it worked, then just decided it was time for a new one, no problems since. It might have just been a little corrosion at the connection, but I feel good with the new part....

• Like 1

Hi guys, as the air con not gassed for a number of years, mainly due to the fact that the original gas not available any more, there is no point turning it on, so why would the compressor turn on?

The fans will still turn on though as their fed from the same switched output as the compressor clutch. But if that's been engaged without gas hence without oil, the compressors probably fubar but that's besides the point as your issue is why the fans are coming on.