free hit
counters
ECU, Engine, Injector, Coils or something else - Page 5 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

ECU, Engine, Injector, Coils or something else

Guest modifiedv8engines

Brilliant news Paul.  Hope the MoT is a success.  After that, it's time to get some enjoyment back from the car.

Well done for your perseverance !

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I took the exhaust off and the cats are intact.  Next I removed the spark plugs on the right bank. Number 2 was all wet the others were good. I then reinstalled them to run the engine and check f

Before you replace your alternator. Make sure the charge light is not burnt out. The light is in series with the field wire. No light = no charge.

The cylinder capacity does not affect the compression pressure. For a given mass of air, if you compress it to half its original volume the pressure will double providing the temperature remains the s

Posted Images

Guest modifiedv8engines

Yes at long long last Mike.

Hope this is the end of it as it has taken some time to resolve. Reasonably confident but have said that before as I seem to recall !

Cheers

Paul

I had my alternator refurbished about year ago. The car started to make sound which sounded a lot like bad water pump. It was dry alternator Bush and bearing afterall. The Bush In the other end was easy to replaced and the Ball bearing In the other end was a standard Skf etc. item. 

The source of the sound was easy to diagnose after the belt was off.

"Older I get, faster I was"

Guest modifiedv8engines

Just to complete the post & the satisfactory conclusion to the Esprits (and mine) past dramas.

MOT passed okay - a few shortish trips to shake down and car runs about 95% + good.

Just a low boost issue to resolve ( suspected bank #2 wategate diaphagm/spring) and the wiff of unburnt fuel when on boost. (looks like I will be viewing the old girls underside close up again soon) The car that is, and No ! not her's indoors.

Starting has never been better, car pleasurable to drive and best its ever been other than the low boost.

Love it !

Guest modifiedv8engines

Hi Chris - got mine from SW Lotus Centre.

And Thanks Filip - Warmer weather arriving here again soon so they say, so although the cars needs a couple of minor jobs, I hope to get a few trips out before the winter arrives.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

So I've finally got my car back together and running. Guess what? 

Misfires!

The engine runs very smoothly most of the time and idles perfectly, no hot start issues.

Only under high load it misses. ie 3rd gear up hill 3500rpm wide open throttle. Only occasionally.

all other times its perfect. 3/4 throttle to the redline perfect.

Its not got wet for over 10 years garaged etc. 

After reading this thread again, I'm thinking it maybe the secondary fuel pump or similar??

Any thoughts before I start work?

Cheers Andy

ps no fault codes or CEL

If you have high load fuel flow (to max revs) then it's not likely to be the secondary fuel pump.

What kind of misfire?  Meaning regular or erratic?

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

• 2 weeks later...

If you have one of those phone apps with an attached obd2 reader attached to the rear port, you could watch the fuel trims when this happens.  

If the 2nd pump is quiting on you then those severe lean conditions would give you high fuel trim numbers. If it’s a ignition misfire then you might see 1 bank go rich with low fuel trims. 

But this is all reliant on how quickly the ecu responds and how long you stay on the pedal.  

I am very doubtful that failure of the secondary fuel pump will result in the fuel trims being off. My reasoning being is that the fuel trim is based upon the narrowband lambda sensor feedback and when the secondary fuel pump is in operation I would expect the ECU to be in open loop fuelling and the desired A/F ratio to be far richer than the stoichiometric ratio.

Thanks guys.

I removed the secondary injectors to check the o-rings, all seemed fine so I refitted them. The engine then would not start, I eventually got it going and it was massively over fuelled, lots of white exhaust smoke, smell of petrol and the plenum was very cold. Obviously massive leak from Secondary injector o-rings. Lesson learned!

Got some new o-rings. Car started ok but still smokey. Went for a drive and it cleared itself of smoke etc, but still misfiring. Went for a second drive permant misfire now, sometimes coughs then runs ok for a bit, constant misfire underload.

Bearing in mind that the car ran almost perfectly before (apart from the very occasional mis at WOT). This seems a tad odd to me. I'm wondering what could have got damaged by flooding the engine?? No CEL. Hmm....

Thanks

Andy

Just thought maybe the cats have disintegrated with loads of fuel going through them. 100 cel cats from PNM

• Gold FFM

When cats have broken up on me before they tend to block the exhaust and prevent the engine from revving properly. I'm not sure it would start with a subtle misfire but I could be wrong, they're not that difficult to remove and check.

cheers

-Chris

I’m willing to bet if you were to pull ignition leads to find a misfiring cylinder you would find two cylinders  Sharing the same coil

Then I would lean towards ECU driver 

Excellent.  Common sense approach to finding the fault.   Well done.

• Like 1