free hit
counters
Advice on building a garage / workshop wanted - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Advice on building a garage / workshop wanted

Yes I believe a granny annexe or playroom will be supplementary to the house. I wouldn't want to let it out to strangers :)

It's getting there......

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@Escape If I were to go with the metal type it would have to be 100mm insulation like yours. That's a good point on ventilation, a skylight that can be opened being a bonus. I think any attic storage space would need a fixed method of access. I had forgotten about a door other than the roller type, most of the designs I've looked at have some sort of personnel door.

@snowrx Yes, lights are quite important but I've not given much thought to as yet. They'll definitely be LED of some sort, the days of florescents have past!

@Chillidoggy Yes, heating. Where we are moving to has numerous sources of energy (oil, gas, wood, coal, electricity), hadn't considered paraffin or diesel. I'm going to have to give this one more thought. 

@TAR Ah, planning. I've seen many precedents being set by others in the Highlands but that's never a guarantee of success. Hopefully the fact that it won't be visible from the road side and is relatively far from neighbouring properties should go in my favour. I have no intention at all to convert it to a habitable abode later so will have to make that clear. Your plans sound expensive, when are you starting the build?

@andyj007 That would be really helpful and appreciate your time, I'll send you a PM!

Signature not working...

Reference the indirect heaters, they range from around £750 upwards, depending on the Kw output. They give instant, dry heat, no combustion fumes like the direct gas versions, and are pretty cheap to run. We've had one in the workshop (a big one) for years and I reckon it costs about £200 in diesel or paraffin a year to run. I have seen them heating garages before, where space was a premium the owner has built a small shed to accommodate the heater, with it blowing hot air through a suitably-sized vent in the garage wall. Might not be an issue with your behemoth,  though!

Margate Exotics.

I use air con units that can run in reverse and heat aswell fir garages and garden annexe generally. Run off a 13amp  supply and self fit is so easy. 

Unit goes inside on wall , compressor and fan  outside which does look pants so beed out if site. 

Have a look on sircondiy.com. 

• Like 1

I've not put that much thought in to heating and ventilation of this man-cave and I really should, I imagine it's going to be quite cold in the winter. Best to think of something pre-build. More things to consider! I need to be careful of scope-creep or I'll end up building a mini-McLaren workshop (I wish I had the budget!).

@andyj007 I tried sircondiy.com but it looks like a dead link, as does aircondiy.com. 

Signature not working...

Hopefully my build will begin soon. I'm also doing a kitchen extension which is proving more difficult to get organised due to a sewer pipe which will run under it. The trouble is that this time of year isn't the best for building work. Concrete will dry out too quickly and all the builders are on their holidays! :)

• Like 1

It's getting there......

• 5 weeks later...

@Mysterae - Garage and Barn Doors are in. So far the things I have noticed - the grey doors on the barn are not insulated and get rather hot in direct sunlight, the garage door is insulated and now keeps the Esprit nice and cool on hot days. The Esprit now has a fully insulated and environmentally controlled home 🙂 so I suppose I should do the rest of the house now. One good thing is one function of the unit for the barn is that should anyone try and open it it's own (pretty loud) alarm goes off. One extra thing which may help if you want a sectional door is that an extra 'leaf' has been put in which cant be seen so when open it is a lot higher and allows the use of my car lift.

The only disappointment was the quality of work by the boss (his minions were brilliant) on the barn so I will have to redo certain aspects myself, he got a bit sulky when I wanted a more suitable solution than he proposed.

Any questions let me know

WP_20190824_12_18_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20190824_12_18_28_Pro.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

@march Thanks for posting the images and description. I think I'll go for a 5ft ish insulated door and a personnel door as well.

Due to be moving in a few weeks and then I'l start the planning later in the year.

• Like 1

Signature not working...

• 1 year later...

Well, with everything that's been going on in the world the past year or so the garage and it's planning took a back seat. Back on it now though :).

I've read so so much about garage construction (timber, brick & block, SIPS, metal) and their pros and cons, insulations and the varying costs of each. I've ruled out brick & block due to the mental cost of it, timber because of the ongoing maintenance and didn't favour SIPS either.

My current thoughts are an insulated metal garage, something a bit like this from https://www.murraysteelbuildings.com/

image.png.c60d8405328e7b42f23b4f80d85f301b.png

but with the personnel access door on the front as well, either a 4m or 5m roller door, a bit like this:

image.thumb.png.72d4c2b555f780c8f3bb07373238324e.png

Also increased the size of it too, 9m x 10m if I can get away with it :) . 

The plan is to do a body-off restoration to the Esprit so I need the space for both the body shell and chassis once separated, as well as all the other bits. I'm really not sure at this stage where is the best place for things like the 2-post lift (changed from the 4 post) so I appreciate any wise words. 

Before I get too excited, my Pre-application Advice will be submitted soon as I will definitely require planning permission for this garage. The outcome of that will drive any formal planning application and progress.

• Like 2

Signature not working...

• Gold FFM

Looks good! I enjoyed playing around with simulations like that when rebuilding the Workshop. And it paid off, we're very happy with the decisions we took and haven't really found anything we should have done differently.

For a long term project, a 2-poster is a good choice. As for where to pu it, I'd try to make sure you can get another car in while the Esprit is on the lift. Maybe put it at an angle (or even perpendicular) to a side wall, you'll have just enough room to manoever a car onto it. That way you still have some room directly behind the gate to park another car, and the rolling chassis could be parked nex to the lift (as long as that space isn't taken up by tools etc). I'll see if I can make a sketch of what I mean.

I think you'll be happy with a an insulated metal garage, easy and not too expensive. I take it you're not planning a second floor, as the height is rather limited? Some attic storage might still be possible and usefull.

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Thanks Filip, playing with the virtual crayons is half the fun is it not?! :)

Regarding the 2-post lift, I was so certain on a 4-post but the fact a 2-post makes taking the body off "a lot easier" was clincher for me. You are right about being able to get another car in when the lift is occupied, I must plan that in. Effectively 3 cars once the Esprit is split! I have thought about building a mezzanine later for storage, if the height is 3.6m to the eaves I could free up a lot of space overhead.

The quotes have been coming in and blame covid/brexit/whatever, but they are coming about 15% higher than their marked prices. Additionally since the erection costs are a percentage of that in some cases, increasing it further. So I'm spreadsheeting the crap out of it now working out the best approach.

For example example:

10m x 9m non-insulated metal garage - £16,000, compared to the insulated garage - £25,000. That's a £9k difference, admittedly it's for a lot of insulation and effectively a 2nd skin inside. However I can insulate the same space in 40mm Kingspan TW55 for £2.5k. I'm investigating if I can have only the roof supplied insulated (the hardest part to retrofit) and I'll do the walls. I was planning on boarding the interior walls anyway, in either plasterboard, plywood or slatwall panels in some places.

Signature not working...

• Gold FFM

Construction prices are always higher than expected... I had specifically asked to err on the high side when asking for a quote, as that would be the negotiating point with the insurance. But I still ended up considerably higher than the quote... Insulation has been on the rise for some time, no doubt due to increase in demand, both because of tightening regulations and more people doing DIT and renovations while stuck at home. Good idea to do (part of) the insulation yourself. Especially if you were planning to board up anyway. I'd suggest plywood or something else with some strenght, makes it a lot easier to put up things later on. The metal walls wont support much, I've also added plywood panels in certain places to build a tool rack etc.

What design tool are you using? I've used Floorplanner before, but they don't have a car lift or such in the library. Your sketch looks a lot better!

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

The prices of everything have risen; steel, wood, insulation, even fresh air costs more these days. I've heard that it's a supply and demand thing, with companies making less through the pandemic and people using more of it, as you say either during the pandemic or kick starting their projects after covid. Hopefully prices will settle back down but we'll see.

I was always going to board the walls, perhaps not all of them. I like the look and practicality of slatwall but don't see it much in this country unless it's a shop!

The program I use is Sketchup (https://www.sketchup.com/try-sketchup#for-personal) and is free for the online web version but can be a bit limited but useable. Other versions can be quite cheap (non-profit, academic). Some kind souls have already made models for the Esprit, I just changed it's colour to match mine :thumbup:. Almost anything can be downloaded from the 3D Warehouse; tool chests, air compressors etc.

image.png.543b12f5fc5c8c8a5bf4a226a6442ccf.png

• Like 1

Signature not working...

That's not a garage, that's a huge display cabinet :). I do like it though!

I'm thinking white or grey interior but it's going to get quite dirty with the strip down (of the car I should add).

• Like 1

Signature not working...

It is, that’s true.

Epoxy paint, you could bleed out and it’ll wipe down in a jiffy.

• Haha 2

Sudders and Dany

serial killer art GIF by hoppip

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Ply is expensive for boarding a garage,sterling board as good and it you don't like the face of it put plasterboard over it. Easy to fix anything anywhere then..

• Thanks 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Pete, you're a star, thanks for that :thumbup: .

Okay, I had to google what sterling board was to be honest but now I know that it's OSB and the differences between OSB2 and OSB3, that's the walls sorted.

Signature not working...

Did you see the other post about polystyrene

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Yep, I can see that post now...

Okay, food for thought. One of the garage suppliers told me that insulating the garage floor is a bit pointless as I'm not maintaining a constant temperature in the building. I'll only be heating it when I need it warm. Not sure yet.

Signature not working...