free hit
counters
Wiper Modification - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Wiper Modification

Hi guys,

Got a huge amount of play in the wiper box so I guess it's time to replace it - that'll be the 4th in 10 years even though I now worship the rainex God and rarely use the wiper.

Just wondered if anyone's come up with a better system to move the stupidly heavy wiper? It's very annoying for the passenger to be staring at a half raised wiper. My wiper sits happily against the stop (when I put it there) but parks pointing at the top left hand corner of the screen and raises itself to this position when I hit a certain figure on the speedo.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pete

This won't sort the flexing issue (most G Cars I've seen have the same) but when I chnged mine I went for a later one from an Excel with corresponding wiper arm. The advantage is that the Exel one fastens with a traditional nut rather than the push fit onto splines that wear out. I got mine from PNM and it was Pete who recommended this.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Not really helping at all, but there are modifications and modifications. Which one is this? :D (You know who you are...!)

1005.jpg

Carry on.

Top Mod....!!!!! :thumbup::):welcome:

Wondered how long it'd be before that photo surfaced......

thats an entirely different thread altogeather though......

Nice one Graham.....

Simon :blink::D:rofl:

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Hmm. Is that adding lightness?

If only I'd thought to do that mod on my S3, then my car wouldn't have added its own lightness, by throwing my wiper arm and retaining pin into the middle of the road, resulting in scratched screen, loss of lin and anoyance of other road users while I pulled to the side and collected the wiper.

Andy

Hello,

I have a wiper related question...

Do all Esprits make clicking/clunking noise just as the wiper starts to move (change direction). I noticed this on my old red car and now on the silver one. What is the source of this noise, is it the external mechanism (which appears to be loose and rickety) or is it something internal to the motor (your gear wheel)? Has anyone fabricated something a little more precise for the external mechanism?

Ambrose

Can't say if they all do it, all I can say both mine make that noise.

It sounds to be inside the car, so I'd say it was motor/gearbox rather than the external mechanism, but I've got used to it so could be that it's even louder and is coming from outside.

Anyway, it's a reminder that they are working, just in case you cannot tell by how effective thay are at clearing water. Any Lucas bit that tells you it's working cann't be bad.

Andy

Has anyone fabricated something a little more precise for the external mechanism?

Ambrose

Hmmmmmmmm funny you should ask that.

I hate the crappy wiper blade fixing as well, so it is on my list of things to machine up went I have got a free moment.

Not only is it loose and wobbly, it doesn't hold the blade at the correct angle either.

I would have a stab at it now while the exhaust is being made except I haven't got the car to take measurements from.

If there is a wider interests in this I may bump it higher up the list.

So watch this space for further developments ....................

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

Well it looks like due to public demand I'll have to push the wiper mod near the top of the pile then.

I can't do anything right now as I haven't got the car (shame as it would be conveient at the moment), but when I get it back I'll start looking into it.

Hilly

Hello,

I would definitely be interested in something to improve the performance of that wiper assembly. Curing the noise would be great, but somehow making the wiper reach just a bit further over on the drivers side would be extra fantastic. I find myself leaning forward to peer round the uncleared section.

Rather than start from scratch, is it worth considering modifying a known good solution. I remember my 500SE (W126) single wiper as being particularly good although I cant remember exactly how it worked. It seemed to bob up and down on its mounting. Plus its (old) German and mechanical, thus indestructable...there are times I really miss my 500.

Im determined not to get used to it Andy, even if it means inserting something German into it.

Ambrose

I asked about a similar situation a while ago,

http://www.glcforum.com/esprit/forums/inde...?showtopic=7499

I'm also looking to do some modification, and probably change the wiper motor aswell. I'm not knowledgable on wiper motors, so when considering an alternate motor, do I only have to find one with the same sweep angle? Would a motor from a two-blade setup have a narrower sweep angle than single-blade setups? I'm guessing so, but if anyone knows a bit about wipers can you let us know?

My basic understanding is that I would have to source a single blade system and try and make it fit. It can't be that hard can it? :wallbash: (famous last words :crybaby: ).

My initial plan was to only fab up a new wiper blabe mount as I have never really had a problem with the arm or gearbox, works fine on my car.

I just want to control the location of the blade a lot better and eliminate some of the clonking noises that come from it.

Hilly

Curing the noise would be great, but somehow making the wiper reach just a bit further over on the drivers side would be extra fantastic. I find myself leaning forward to peer round the uncleared section.

Hi Ambrose,

I had to get a replacement motor for mine and it came from an Elite, I think, which has a different sweep radius. The simply but fiddly way to get your wiper further across the screen is to work out the angle it needs to travel between rest and the edge of the screen then take the main gear wheel out of the motor and move the peg on the wheel to give you the required movement. This does involve drilling out and re-welding the peg as well as being very good at maths to work out the correct positioning.

Or you could leave it the way it is..... :wallbash:

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hello,

I found a picture of the merc wiper mechanism...

1eb63b10.jpg

Ok, so its the size of a small house and would probably require alteration to the suspension to cope with the extra mass but I still really like the mechanism.

More practically I found a couple of sites that do OEM wiper stuff:

This one http://www.matador.co.uk/

has a few interesting bits on it and it appears that Aston and TVR use them

This one http://www.amequipment.com/wiper.html

has the most interesting bits - particularly the pantograph arms and little extra adaptors and other bits of hardware (mounts etc made from SS!). It would appear that they are likely have all the bits to replace the external parts and perhaps even the motor if needed. How easy it would be to get bits from them I dont know

Pete, Im quite good at maths but crap at welding, though its nice to know it is possible to do.

Thanks

Ambrose

Be aware that the motor is not under the windscreen but in the driver footwell up under the wing. It uses a worm drive to the gear box. If you start trying to stuff replacement mechanisms in you may not have the room?

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi ,i have been looking at my wiper arm for some time ,bought an ordinary 24" 600mm blade complete then looked for a long time to see if it was possible to fit it with out that pin sticking out,came up with this ,a long bolt cut the thread of so it became a bar with a bolt head the diameter was right to fit the hole in the pantagraph and through the new wiper arm then dilled a 1mm or smaller hole through the end of the pantograph and the bolt in the pin hole fastened the lot together with a very small R clip seems to work ok, now when i need a new wiper blade any auto parts store and its

post-1481-1187714852.jpg

Guest Troy Halliday

Ok guys I may have found a source for our wiper arms and motors. Looking into it at the moment and may well be able to get the motors reconditioned aswell. I should be able to get them considerably cheaper than the likes of SJ. So keep your fingers crossed and I'll keep you updated. I am also working on a whole host of other parts and also working on a deal to supply Lotus original parts. Upgrades and modifications to follow as they are made. With header tanks being one of the first on the list along with Stainless Steel exhaust brackets and straps coming soon.

I have already aquired my domain name and will be setting up my website as soon as I get my main computer back on its feet. Which may take a little while as I have a couple of cars to get out of the way first including Bibs SE, Mayesprits Mini One D (don't ask :respect: ), MPX Lotus Carlton and the S/S exhaust bracket on his G-Turbo.