free hit
counters
Scissor lifter - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Peter H.

Scissor lifter

I was about to buy this lifter for my new x180, but thought I should perhaps check out opinions on this brilliant forum.

https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-7630-mobile-scissor-lift/

I don't have height in my garage for a lifer which has posts, so I have ruled these out. The slight problem with the remaining options is that I'll need to drive the car onto 2 inch planks in order to get the necessary clearance for the lifter to get under the car. Not a massic deal though. At around £1000, they seem pretty good value and lift to a reasonable height.

I'd welcome any thoughts.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Friend of mine has one of their lifts. It's a different model to that but he rates it highly.

Was fairly easy to set up but you do need a couple of volunteers for the heavy lifting during the install.

Hi Peter, I've never used a scissor type jack so perhaps talking out of turn, but I don't like the idea much. They seem quite restrictive for getting under the car, all the gubbins of the jack is in the way.

When I was working on my Esprit on the drive I considered a QuickJack. A little bit more expensive that the scissor type you linked to but so much more versatile - You can still get under the car with a creeper and can pack it away when your not using it although the parts are a bit heavy. It doesn't lift as high as a scissor type though.

quickjack-hydraulic-power.jpg

There's stacks of videos of the QuickJack on youtube too:

Signature not working...

This is what you want.  Manual yes but I can jack the car to my roof trusses in 12 minutes.  Whole thing comes apart so can be set up anywhere.  Was delivered in an estate A4 so easily transportable.  Fabulous if you have limited space or not a good enough floor for mounted a two post lift.

http://www.hamercarlift.com/

From google though it seems the company might have folded.  I dont know.

I love mine.

I have an older version this lift: https://sm-t.co.uk/product/tamar-2-7-ton-mobile-scissor-lift-manual-release/

Yes you will need planks to get you up and over. I've used some old scaffolding planks which work a treat. The biggest problem I have is that the S2 does not have  external jacking points so I've have to improvise. The lift does obscure the fuel pump but other than that everything else on the Esprit is accessible. Not so good on my Alfa 147 where much of the exhaust was tricky to get to and I cannot use it on my old landrover because of the shape of the chassis. If I can save enough pennies I'll be swapping for this: https://sm-t.co.uk/product/alness-free-standing-mobile-4-post-lift/

I'm near Basingstoke so feel free to pop over and have a look if you want.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

I've got a scissor lift, same as the one in the first link, and it's the best money I've ever spent (thanks Trev!). The Esprit sits over it, without any scaffold boards in my case. Just need to swing the arms out and put blocks on the lifting points when required. Brilliant piece of kit.

Margate Exotics.

Thanks for the useful suggestions. 

Ian, are you able to say which scissor lift you have?

I like the idea of not using planks. Also, is it practical simply to just store the lifter under the car.... ie just drive over it when parking the car in the garage? 

I can't remember which specific one I have, and the car is parked over it right now. I can have a look at the weekend though. I just drive over it, but it does require some careful maneuvering to get it central, and it has to be backed on, the front lip spoiler would foul otherwise. That said, I've done all kinds of major jobs with it, and never really had an issue with access under the car. I can't get the engine undertray on or off with the car on the lift, but as that's been sitting in my garage since I bought the car, I'm not too fussed about it.

Ideally, I would say these need to be sunk into the concrete floor, but not so low that you can't swing the lifting arms out, of course. I may consider doing that at some point, but for now I shall live with it. Alternatively, if you put scaffold boards down, it has the same effect but they would need securing in some way, and also beveled at one end so make a smooth transition. I have looked at these from Rally design in that respect, cheap and robust https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=24849

For sure, the scaffold board job would be cheaper, than sinking it into the garage floor, but there's the choices as I see them.

Margate Exotics.

I've been toying with the idea of the Automotech scissor lift for a while, but kept it on hold as the long term dream was a 2 poster. Now that we are in the process of moving house and the new place has a garage with 3m head height, I'm looking at this one from the same outfit: https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-6140a-twin-hydraulic-ram-2-post-lift/

Access under the Esprit would probably be fine with the scissor type but I also want to be able to get under 'ordinary' cars like my XJ and Mrs H's 4x4 so the 2 poster should be more useful in the long run.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

1 hour ago, eeyoreish said:

I've been toying with the idea of the Automotech scissor lift for a while, but kept it on hold as the long term dream was a 2 poster. Now that we are in the process of moving house and the new place has a garage with 3m head height, I'm looking at this one from the same outfit: https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-6140a-twin-hydraulic-ram-2-post-lift/

Access under the Esprit would probably be fine with the scissor type but I also want to be able to get under 'ordinary' cars like my XJ and Mrs H's 4x4 so the 2 poster should be more useful in the long run.

Does the 2-poster prevent you opening the doors? Or is there enough room between the posts?

Margate Exotics.

It's a decent runway width (just under 2.7m) between the posts so for the Esprit would be fine. On the other cars the front doors may well be in front of the posts. It's effectively what most garages use so a pretty standard set up.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Thanks for the advice. Since I don't have the space for anything with posts, it's a spin up between the scissor lift and the QuickJack. 

The QuickJack seems much more portable and easier to store away, which is an important factor for me. It also seems to give better access to the underside. It's only downside is the lifting height (430mm vs 1300mm for the scissor lift). Only 430mm does not seem very much, especially if on a creeper trolley.

There again, how often will I need to be completely under the car!?!?

18 minutes ago, Peter H. said:

There again, how often will I need to be completely under the car!?!?

More often than you think. You'll be able to do all those jobs where ordinarily you couldn't be bothered to get a jack out, and reliability will improve as a result!

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Finally found the link to the scissor lift I have, although this looks to be a slightly updated version. I use hardwood blocks that fit into the lifting point recesses, not the rubber pads, although it came with a selection of different height pads for all kinds of cars.

http://bhrepairs.co.uk/downloads/Mobile Lift Brochure 2018.pdf

http://www.bhrepairs.co.uk/

Margate Exotics.

Many thanks Ian, looks very similar to what I first posted. Do you leave the engine undertray permanently off the car?

20 hours ago, Peter H. said:

Many thanks Ian, looks very similar to what I first posted. Do you leave the engine undertray permanently off the car?

Yes, I took the undertray off five years ago, and never replaced it.

Margate Exotics.

Sorry - completely forgot about this thread (the farm has been keeping me busy). Here is the Automotech one with my Esprit on it from a few years ago when I started the restoration process.

006a.jpg

It's pretty good, support by the supplier is brilliant. One thing I will say is that the centre of balance needs to be watched as it moves when the ramp is raised. I think I run the ramp the other way round now which solves the issue. Would definitely recommend one if a 4 post is not an option (I am planning to swap mine for a 4 post unit in the next year or so). I think the price of around £1000.00 may be a bit optimistic at the moment, last time I checked the price they were around £1300.00 inc VAT. As can be seen some wooden ramps easily solve any height issues when driving on. Access is good except between the scissors but that is no real  issue for an Esprit.

Overall I would say this is a very good product with excellent backup from the supplier.

I recently bought one of these.

238161861_tiltingcarlift.thumb.jpg.afcffc2e68efda3eb844a0ffa4f38060.jpg

Only used it a few times but so far seems to do the job. I paid about £350 for it from eBay.

You will need a strong drill to lift and lower. I have a Titan SDS hammer drill from screw fix that I use. Also beware if you have a narrow garage as this one slides in from the side, so you need a bit of space. I also put strips of soft rubber on the lifting plates for extra protection and so far there is no cracking or creaking from the fibreglass when lifting.

Once you get the pivot position correct its a handy feature. I was able to sit crossed legged on the floor to replace a fan motor recently.

They are easy to store as well. You can just hang it flat on the wall.

108767243_tiltingcarlift2.thumb.jpg.e49ae281f756cada792b1ce940dd256b.jpg

Heres some eBay and youtube links.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOBILE-SCISSOR-LIFT-TILTING-CAR-LIFT-RAMP-MID-RISE/254313685696?hash=item3b3646e2c0:g:wRwAAOSwNSxU-GnM

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tilting+car+lift

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, I looked at these previously, but ruled it out as it seemed you would have to jack an Esprit up a little just to slide the lifter into position?

I wondered if there are any views on taking the weight of the car on the sills and not the jacking points?

We use a MaxJax in our garage here in Maryland. I give it 5 stars. Great in a standard height garage, allows full underside access and is portable. A very clever design.

https://www.maxjaxusa.com/ 

IMG_0082.JPG

Jon - 1984 Esprit Turbo

How does that not just tip over onto the sides of the car?

40 minutes ago, Smithy111 said:

How does that not just tip over onto the sides of the car?

I think you'll find its bolted to the floor. :)

It's getting there......