free hit
counters
Radiator/Condenser fan operation - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

What is normal operation of the three fans when the AC is turned on? I would expect the fan behind the condenser fans to come on when the AC is turned on. It does not come on and I get the Fan Fail light until the coolant gets hot enough then all three fans come on and the Fan Fail light extinguishes.
1985 Esprit N/A

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

All three fans should come on at the same time, either with hot coolant temps, or with the A/C selected.

Check for bad relays; also make sure you don't have any 'melted' plastic in the relay sockets that could result in loose connections.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

OK....I've been digging around in my car (1985 Esprit S3). To summarize, all three fans kick in with the temp sensor, but they do not turn on when the AC is switched on. Actually, it is intermittent, every now and then the fans kick in with the AC...

According to the Lotus Esprit Service Notes, page 457, the AC compressor relay should be under the dash below the steering wheel (RHD). No relay there, just some biggish box (wiper delay, I think), and some mystery switch, which is difficult to trace to where it goes, and doen't do anything noticeable. . Also, according to the wiring diagram that came with the car, there should be a double contact relay that gets power from either the ACU or the temperature sensor switch (this is the Otter switch, right?).

Basically, I cannot find this double contact relay. Could it be in the binnacle, where the AC control is? I hope not because this panel seems difficult to get off without serious disassembly...

I'm not an electrician, but looking at the schematic, could the diode between the ACU control and the double contact relay be intermittent or failed?

Also, I live in Phoenix, AZ, very hot...should I put the cooler thermostat in?

Thanks, I've only had this car for a week, love it, but just a couple little bugs.

20190730_115706.jpg

20190731_073249.jpg

20190731_163734.jpg

Wiring ACFan section.jpg

RelayLocation.bmp

....I finally found the fan relay...buried below the windshield fluid reservoir. I'll check it out...

Still, what about the diode, and cooler thermostat? Also considering the cooler Otter switch.

Thanks

I have changed my otter switch for the one for hotter climates John. I live in Singapore. It trips the fans earlier and keeps the water temp 15 deg C lower compared to the standard one. A steady 75-80 deg C on the gauge. Like it that way, works fine for me.

Ad initium

PNM has the hotter climate Otter switch, which I've ordered as well, not because I'm having hot running issues, but to try it for the summer & see if it's any better to keep the Turbo Esprit cooler running (I've got a small air to air intercooler, larger carb jets & boost slightly up) runs great usually between 80 & 90 degrees celsius, however in long traffic jams it does creep up to 90/95 on 25+ hot days & I'm in Canada, not the hottest pace on Earth 

Thanks for the feedback....I ordered the hot climate switch and thermostat.

John

• Like 1

Update...I found the fan relay (a vintage 1984 Wehrle from West Germany) and just re-seated it and seems to work as it should now. I think I'll replace it though with a nice new Hella relay.

On 01/08/2019 at 01:27, John Martin said:

and some mystery switch,

PS - That'll be the aerial switch - to either keep it permanently down or allow it to raise lower autmatically as radio switched on/off

Edited by 910Esprit

Not sure of your specific set up, but my Esprit Turbo 1984 U.S. version with A./C (LHD of course) the fan relay is in the fusebox , left hand side of the driver ( out of 6 relays - A, B, C, D, E & F) it's position F bottom right . Should be able to find a diagram for your specific model

Thanks....I got the aerial switch figured out...it works!

My car, 1985 RHD S3 N/A the relay is up near the left headlight. I replaced with a new Hella 40Amp.

John

• Like 1