free hit
counters
AC low pressure hose extension - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Firstly, my apologies for yet another post. I've got 'post new car intial excitement syndrome' and seem to have lots of questions.

I need to recharge the AC. Previous owner was family member of a very reputable Lotus garage (200 miles away) and they forget to recharge it before it was transported up to me. He said it pretty much needs charging every year, which seems a familar story on TLF.

The AC has been converted to r134a, so I plan to do this myself using the a DIY kit like THIS

So, my question is.......

Since I'm going to need to do this every year, and since the low pressure port is so difficult to get to......has anyone ever put in a form of extension pipe to a more accessible location?

Secondly, taking the idea further, why not leave a gauge on the extension so I can tell when a recharge is likely to be due?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

PLEASE protect the environment, and fix the leak!

The Sanden 508 compressors used by many companies (including Lotus) are known to leak on the pulley side. Here's how to replace the seal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIeqahYPrCQ

PS: The 88's have charging ports on the hoses underneath. Remove the undertray (10 bolts) and have a look on the right side of the engine bay. Easy to reach with the rear wheels on ramps.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

I understand that the refills I mentioned are a compatible gas, not actually r134a itself. According to the manufacturer the gas is a natural Hydrocarbon non HCFC/HFC......and not harmful to the environment. It sounds to good to be true, so I'm guessing there might be some small print I've missed.

A question for the UK owners:

Can you use "HC-12a" in your systems that were designed for R12?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HC-12a

Lots of discussions here in the USA

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Refrigerant gases are much more regulated in the EU and to purchase nearly all gases you need an FGAS certificate. You can't even get r134a without one, hence my curiosity around these refill kits that appear to not to required a certificate. 

The gas you mention contains propane and therefore there is a fire/explosion risk. I'd be really surprised, despite it's environmental credentials,if it was readily available here. Happy to stand corrected.

......just reading further on the gas you mention, it does sound like a drop in replacement for R12

10 minutes ago, Peter H. said:

The gas you mention contains propane and therefore there is a fire/explosion risk. I'd be really surprised, despite it's environmental credentials,if it was readily available here. Happy to stand corrected.

I'll have a small wager that the Ebay kit you are looking at is a propane/butane blend!   The clue being the 'hydrocarbon' reference .

NB Mobile car A/C 'fitters' were exempt from FGAS regs when I last purchased R134a.  Not sure this has changed?

On 28/07/2019 at 10:43, Peter H. said:

why not leave a gauge on the extension so I can tell when a recharge is likely to be due?

You can get the same indication by observing the sight glass at the right-front corner of the car.  Bubbles (after 5 minutes running) indicate a somewhat low level of refrigerant. (Hopefully the original receiver/dryer hasn't been swapped out when the R134 conversion took place. New ones don't have the sight glass...)

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA