free hit
counters
Dusty engine bay in 350 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Jcx

Dusty engine bay in 350

Hey guys,

For your typical OCD car guy (I know in the world of OCD there is no ‘typical’) the amount of sand that is attracted to the engine bay is high.  

Is it common across all exiges with the slatted deck lid? And why so much sand? The heat? Airflow?

I do not inhabit a desert and I live nowhere near the beach. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I don't have sand in mine - weird.
Mine however is constantly full of watermarks and general crap from local trees. Drive's me crazy but I've given up - Only clean the rear window so I can see out the back, and pick out any loose items in case of fire ( paranoid I know, but if I can prevent dry leaves falling into a hot engine bay I think I should..)

Do you drive down a dusty road maybe? or just had bad weather? We had really dirty rain and that left dust all over our cars recently  

Hey Mike, I've not been out in any rain yet and the car is garaged with a cover over it.  To call it sand may be a bit strong from me but the dust is granular like sand.  I just bought a cover for the bit of engine between the supercharger and the rear window as the watermarks (from its first wash) or potential for watermarks in the future were not appealing.  The cover is however very coarse so I expect it to attract and cling onto dirt.

There is another option, the dusty sand-like stuff was already in the engine bay and with use and heat it is recirculating.  Hoping therefore that i will over time wipe it all away and be done with it.

Edited by Jcx

I got carbon covers for mine to hide the tarnished engine - so good idea! 
I think it will gradually get better if you do as you say, keep wiping what you can. If that doesn't help then at least you know it's an outside issue?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jcx said:

Hey guys,

For your typical OCD car guy (I know in the world of OCD there is no ‘typical’) the amount of sand that is attracted to the engine bay is high.  

Is it common across all exiges with the slatted deck lid? And why so much sand? The heat? Airflow?

I do not inhabit a desert and I live nowhere near the beach. 

I can't say I get much dust,  so suspect unless you are hitting dirt tracks you have it leftover in your engine bay. You may also have more of it staying in the engine bay if there is left over silicon or greasy dressing that someone may have sprayed in it, this will grab and hold any dust that is getting kicked around. I'd give it a proper clean, then dress it properly so dust sticks less. Take off all covers around the engine and go to town on it, id also remove the diffuser and clean that as dust will be kicked up and settle there - you might view this as a bit extreme though!

The only time I wash my engine bay is to change dressings, otherwise it's just a wipe down to dry after washing the car - so its no worse than any other car, unless you live somewhere like UAE

Good stuff thanks Paul.  I suspect it will settle down over time.  Indeed the diffuser does kick it up - that is pretty clear.  May be dust from farm / harvest activities and/or from nearby quarries when driving past.  It all gives me something to fiddle with. :thumbsup:

BTW @MrP_ Did you change your front access panel for an OEM carbon version?  Looks sweet!

34 minutes ago, Jcx said:

BTW @MrP_ Did you change your front access panel for an OEM carbon version?  Looks sweet!

Yep I much prefer it. I spec'd it like that from the factory,  as I didn't like the matt black so deleted most of it and wasn't a fan of the standard flat panel, so just optioned it at the time. I did change rear boot lid panel to the OEM carbon item after I got one at a good price, as I regretted not doing that when new. Much prefer the carbon look

• Like 1