free hit
counters
380 service - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi, 

a new Lotus owner here, so some help would be greatly appreciated. 

Bought the car last October and have since done around 14-15k km, a couple of trackdays and 3 oil changes. 

It's use it approximately 75% roaduse and 25% track (nothing too serious)

I have a couple of questions regarding a bigger service I plan on doing soon:

1. So far I used the oil that my dealer recommended, Petronas 0w-40. I only changed the engine oil, didn't drain the oil cooler in the front. Would it be better to switch to a 15w-50 or similar? I don't mind having to warm it up for a bit longer. If i switch to a different oil I presume I'll have to change the oil in the front oil cooler as well? Do I need any special tools, or plugs afterwards for it? How often does the oil in the oil cooler need to be changed?
    Also, so far I just used the toyota OEM filter. Anything better to recommend?

2. gearbox oil? I'm not sure what comes as standard with the car. The manual (which is in German :D ) says it only needs it every 90k km, that doesn't sound right. Should I be looking at motul 300v gearbox oil 75w90 or something else? Also, how much do I need?

3. Air filter. The K&N sport air filter from Komotec seems to be perfect as it's an easy swap and better than the OEM if I'm not mistaken?

4. Last, brake pads. Performance Friction or Carbon Lorraine? 
    Just a bit confused since some shops list different front and rear pads while other offer the same. 
    Would these pads fit https://www.elise-shop.com/performance-friction-08-compound-pads-exige-v6-evora-evora-s-p-502899.html?number_of_uploads=0&zenid=4d4333766bd15557ccce401dca28182d
    (I hope I'm allowed to post a link, not advertising or anything, it's just very difficult to find shops that will ship to Croatia). 

Did I miss anything?

I know this is a lot of questions, but as i mentioned it's really difficult getting any reliable info where I am. 

Anybody who bothers to answer some of my questions has a free lunch on me once they're in Croatia! :D :D 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

1) I use Motul 300V 5W40, would not bother with extra draining - it will all go over a few oil changes

2) I use Motul Gear300 75W90 and change it roughly annually or every 10k miles

3) Dunno, I just use OEM

4) Changed to Ferodo DS Uno and DS1.11 and they work very well so far with virtually no noise. This is race compound brake pads, so keep in mind disks wear will be faster (but not overly fast) and they may be a bit lazy when fully cold (not a big deal)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1