free hit
counters
Fractured 5th Fork - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
jbouw

Fractured 5th Fork

I took the rear cover off the transaxle of a 1990 SE to determine what had caused a small crack to appear in it, and found that the lower arm of the fifth gear selector fork has snapped off. I was wondering, offhand, what’s involved in fitting a new one? I don’t see signs of other damage. 

Regards, Jesse

Jesse

Pasadena

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It looks like if you can drift the roll pin that holds the selector fork onto the shaft out in-situ (without excessive force that could possibly bend the shaft) then you should be able to slide the 5th gear synchro hub assembly off the primary shaft after removing the retaining nut. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm either way.

• Like 1

I am not knowledgeable on transmission internal repair, but I will propose that their was some thing else wrong that caused enough force to be applied to select 5th to break the fork.  Something was loose, out of alignment or bad synchros maybe?  Others will chime in I am sure. 

Saw a V8 box where the 5th selector fork had broken & dropped into the gears causing the transaxle to sieze up, this was while the car was doing 50ish. 😲

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

I know someone who that happened to at ~162mph on the salt flats after losing drive at around 211mph (modified Esprit). In his case it was the 5th gear itself that fell off and locked up the transmission.

• Sad 1

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

S...t happens when you don't have a modified EMCO (or Holloway) single piece shaft conversion kit installed!

shaft_ends_close_up_compari.jpg

• Like 1

How about taking al salvagable parts (and new ones) and have them cryo-treated?

Kind regards,

jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)