free hit
counters
Fuel Stabilisers, Addatives to prevent stale fuel - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
modifiedv8engines

Fuel Stabilisers, Addatives to prevent stale fuel

Having owned my Esprit V8 for several years and since I have other vehicles and not as much time to enjoy as I would like, I have recently had issues with idle speed misfire/splutters. Esprit does very few miles a year and used only during warmer months so for much of the time its unused, not often started and usually has  a few gallons of super unleaded in the tank when not being used.

When I use it, its battery connected, crank a few times and usually fires up good. 

In my other posts I have detailed the symptoms and on the advise of other forums members, (thanks again those who offered advise) changed this that and other in an  attempt to cure this problem. I have found that my fuel pumps are faulty with evidence of the pump assembly electrical connector getting a bit too warm for comfort ( not melted but not far off) . This electrical connect sits on top of the fuel pump assembly and under that are the connecting harnesses to both fuel pumps. Since there is not supposed to be air in this area, a fire or explosion is reckoned to be unlikely but irrespective of that , its a bit of a worry.

Not had this issue before but maybe I have been just lucky.

My conclusion and not 100% sure on this, is this issue is related to fuel going stale. 

Esprits are not really winter drivers and most are wrapped up in the warm during the less favourable British weather.

Would be particularly interested if any members have has similar issues or can recommend a good fuel stabilizer or whats the recommended course of action other than driving the car all year round.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not sure about specific fuel stabilizer blends that are available in the UK. Stateside, Sta-Bil is well regarded.

http://sta-bil.co.uk/

Have you checked/renewed the internal hoses on the fuel pump assemblies?  Here is a recent Topic on LotusTalk that addresses this issue:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/1997-esprit-fuel-pump-replacement-471028/

Nice picture in Post 35.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Many Thanks  and yes I had seen that.

I have a new fuel pump assembly which came from Lotus - interestingly the new pump has wire reinforced blue hoses which are not likely to collapse with age/fuel soak. Old black hoses had not perished but were very soft ........doubt it but could have been nipped up under pump suction  if the pump was blocked ......

Will enquire about the sta-bil addative and see what I can find out. 

Cheers

On 05/08/2019 at 21:01, modifiedv8engines said:

Many Thanks  and yes I had seen that.

I have a new fuel pump assembly which came from Lotus - interestingly the new pump has wire reinforced blue hoses which are not likely to collapse with age/fuel soak. Old black hoses had not perished but were very soft ........doubt it but could have been nipped up under pump suction  if the pump was blocked ......

Will enquire about the sta-bil addative and see what I can find out. 

Cheers

When i lived in the US I used Sta-bil, I can recommend it. Also some stuff that converted water to ethanol to put in the tank (IIRC). Marvellous.