free hit
counters
Camshaft Appears To Have Moved Axially - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Camshaft Appears To Have Moved Axially

Nifty

One of my camshafts appears to have moved, the sprocket is no longer in line with the other one and the crank pulley/sprocket.

Looking at it from underneath the car shows what appears to be a small polished area on the shaft where it comes out of the cam casing, indicating that this has been running in a bearing or rubbing on something but is now outside of the cam casing, as if the shaft has moved out of the casing a little bit (an 1/8th inch ish)

Can anyone suggest what might have happened?

Is this a common or well known problem?

(It's a naturally aspirated 2.2 fitted to an S3 registered in January 1984)

Keep off the straight and narrow

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my camshafts appears to have moved, the sprocket is no longer in line with the other one and the crank pulley/sprocket.

Looking at it from underneath the car shows what appears to be a small polished area on the shaft where it comes out of the cam casing, indicating that this has been running in a bearing or rubbing on something but is now outside of the cam casing, as if the shaft has moved out of the casing a little bit (an 1/8th inch ish)

Can anyone suggest what might have happened?

Is this a common or well known problem?

(It's a naturally aspirated 2.2 fitted to an S3 registered in January 1984)

At a rough guess, the bolt securing the end plate has come loose/ undone. Remove the end cap from that cam carrier and check the bolt, if it's tight then consider undoing it and inspecting the plate itself.

Andy

Cheers Andy, I presume you are referring to the end cap at the other end of the cam to the sprocket.

Will look at this in due course.

Off to France for a day at the weekend and then really must concentrate on the 7 otherwise I will not be at Snetterton on 11th for the track evening.

Incidently, did we get anywhere with a Norfolk LEW meeting ?

Edited by Nifty

Keep off the straight and narrow

Yes, the caps tt the other end.

Enjoy France, with a little more water around you could take a direct line from your home to France and never have to touch dry land.

We still haven't got anywhere on the Norfolk meet & greet.

hould we go for a week day or a weekend is the first question.

Then location, Norwich is Ok, but I think somewhere out of Norwich will be more interesting, it's got to be a venue that serves drink (eevn if its non alcoholic), and probably food, have a decent car park, and roads that we can get the Esprits down.

So a pub, outside Norwich, we had a few suggestions in the Norfolk meet thread, I'd say Hetehrset's not a bad idea, easy to get to etc, marsh Harrier- awful car park for an Esprit (turning round etc) Mulbarton World's End sounds good.

We should just set a date and time (maybe 2 options), and get it out to the local owners, see who can / wants to turn up and arrange it within the next 4 weeks (give ourselves a dealine).

Andy.

p.s. whenever it is I'll have to bring along the manuals.