free hit
counters
Oil filter - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

After much research ive found the best quality oil filter to be the K&N hp-2004. Has the anti drain back valve and filters more particulates. Its also got a nut on the end of the casing making fitting and removal easier.

Also Castrol 10-60 supercar oil is highly recommened (same as bmw m cars use)

Edited by Smithy111

Yep, I always use the k&n because of the valve, the filter screws into the side of the block so the valve is vital to stop oil from flowing out of the filter when the engine is off. Cheaper than "original" Lotus filters!

K&N for me too.

I cut open a K&N and the genuine Lotus filter. Both were very good but for me the K&N was just a little better constructed.

If you haven't searched YouTube for people cutting filters open there are plenty of bad ones out there.

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

11 hours ago, esprit22 said:

the valve is vital to stop oil from flowing out of the filter when the engine is off. Cheaper than "original" Lotus filters!

The valve is to stop the oil flowing back through the pump, which is why it's known as a non return valve. When the engine is off the oil flows out of the filter past the crankshaft main bearings. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

1914500702_Screenshot2019-08-08at9_45_57AM.png.4778672b05cd62e58d8829f25e3007f6.png

The device with the spring located at the far end of the filter is often mistaken as a non-return valve, but it isn't. It is a pressure relief valve that opens should the filtering element of the filter fails to flow sufficient oil due to blockage. Oil enters the filter through a series of holes at the engine end of the oil filter. These holes are usually covered by a rubber flap that act and a "anti reverse flow" valve. Perhaps, it's this rubber flap that you are referring to that is certainly importantly to prevent draining of the filter when the engine is at a standstill.

Just as important, is the presence of the spring-loaded pressure relief valve for the obvious reasons.

As above, very happy with the K&N and yes, a non-return valve is necessary so the oil pump doesn't have to fill the filter first and you get oil pressure right after start-up.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

5 hours ago, ekwan said:

1914500702_Screenshot2019-08-08at9_45_57AM.png.4778672b05cd62e58d8829f25e3007f6.png

Oil enters the filter through a series of holes at the engine end of the oil filter.

The oil then leaves the filter through the centre, as the diagram shows. When the engine is turned off, because the filter is horizontal, the oil continues to drain out of the filter past the crankshaft main bearings until it is level with the bottom of the exit hole. This is why it takes several seconds for oil pressure to register after starting the car in the morning as the filter is empty of oil & has to be refilled, if this wasn't the case then it would instantly register oil pressure as it does if the engine is restarted within a few minutes of stopping.

Next time you change your oil leave it draining overnight before removing the filter & you'll find it virtually empty of oil which saves you making a mess of oil over the floor. Also has the advantage of allowing you to properly clean the sump drain plug area for a better seal as it won't be dripping oil & allow you to put thread locking compound on the drain plug. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

I've always used the PNM branded filter with the non return valve in. About £20 I think?

Not worth starting anything now...🍺