free hit
counters
Lotus just changed their brand identity - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Nathan Pitman

Lotus just changed their brand identity

Hate it.  I can't afford a new Lotus so the badge on the cars is not a problem I am going to have anyway.

Its actually quite unusual for car companies to change their logos, most of them go back years.  In fact the only ones I can think of which have changed are Alfa Romeo's recent update, and Fiat going from the blue rhomboids to their current red circular badge.  Oh, and Vauxhall did tweak the griffin logo but the font stayed the same.

Pretty sure the font is the same as the black badge on my 1979 Esprit, but in a straight line.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Citroen - Renault.

Only here once

1 hour ago, sailorbob said:

Ghastly. Was the brief to the branding agency simply 'make the new logo look as cheap as possible'?

Looks like someone supplied a low definition jpeg file. Old one much better IMHO. 

• Like 2

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Great link which visually tells the story of how some brands have become so recognisable. Evolution trumps revolution when it comes to brand recognition. 

The 'old' logo looked a lot more classier than the new. There was no need to change it - and I think its a mistake 

• Like 2

I agree it does look “poor” and unfinished. I don’t see it wearing nicely in the front of a 21st century 2M GBP hypercar either.

• Like 2

Have to agree with most of the comments, it looks a bit cheap, a bit like some sort of after-market badge you would see at an auto jumble. I wonder how much they spent to come up with that.

• Like 1

I don't like it at all. If I were buying another Lotus now, I'd be asking for the badge to be changed to the previous, much better to my eyes, type.

• Like 2

Its a good logo for the digital world - whilst remaining distinctive and instantly recognisable.  It'll be easily reproduced, and cheap to print in different formats.

I'll reserve final judgement for the seeing badge versions on a car in the flesh .  I hope they retain the raised glossy enamal style, if its a sticker then it'll likely look pretty poor.

What I do hope they retain is the LOTUS lettering across the rear of the car, very distinctive, and it looks really smart to me - I much prefer the badges over the sticker versions - and they don't add weight to be concerned with IMO.

Ultimately this won't put me off the brand or buying a new car with it - to coin a phrase - I'm no badge snob! 😉

13 hours ago, Nelly said:

Its actually quite unusual for car companies to change their logos, most of them go back years. 

Just what I was thinking.......

There is so much intrinsic value in history and heritage.  Something that the likes of Kia and Hyundai would love to have in their brands.

I'm not a marketing guru, but in layman's terms it doesn't make sense to me.

All the old sports car companies have their brand heritage and badges and they just look and feel right when associated with their cars (Ferrari, Lamborghini etc).

Aside from all that, to my eyes as least, it looks a bit......half arsed to be honest.

Edited by Simon Bateman
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm an old font guy as well.

This one, it just looks like someone left the crayons and the paper out.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Found this somewhere...

lotus-badge-ii.jpg

For the few who know the difference

Get's a thumbs up from me.

What Lotus is doing here, has a name... if I can just remember it... oh, yes, that's it... change.

Now, there is a process to change, called a change curve, and you lot are in the Denial / Anger phase (looking to the past).  But don't worry, you'll get over yourselves and soon you'll be in the Exploring / Acceptance phase (looking to the future). 

It's all perfectly natural. Lot's of people don't like change. Deep breaths. Stay Calm. It'll all be over soon.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Sudders and Dany

Here's a more format appropriate side by side comparison (though the new one doesn't seem to be a high a resolution (screen clipping from Google Images) as the other two.

No denying the older style is better looking - it needs an outer border at the minimum and again, final judgement reserved for seeing a proper badged version.

image.png.6d19bbf3a7f62d5dbb8c48d7627a8dcb.pngimage.png.be45c25d9d3998da6a1c5b7dcbc8979f.pngimage.png.6f1d27b2c1571d000fd1eb47e5de0795.png

Look how the new bi- coloured badge pops.

I reckon they plan to illuminate it on the new gen cars.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Steve V8 said:

I reckon they plan to illuminate it on the new gen cars.

That is the new thing, with Audi, Merc and BMW all doing something similar now! 

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

As humans we don’t like change and sure we will get used to it and grow to love especially when we see it on the front of the next generation Lotus sports cars which I am sure are going to knock us and the motoring world for six.

Looking at the pictures of the three of them above, I do have one thing that I certainly like which is the way the small 'C' has been done in the Initial monogram.

In the second picture it looks too large and in the third picture, it is incomplete.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Looks like the brand designers just took Apple's lead...

spacer.png

77 Esprit S1

Rebirth in progress

"the $6 m. car!, we can rebuild it, better, stronger,.....faster!"

94 RX7 R2, Mazdaspeed bits

2016 NB Focus RS

1944 Willys MB rescue

New logo how bad is it very bad poor design far to simple for the bonnet of a £1.7m hypercar .

I have criticised it  on Facebook and been told off. Is it not very sad that we are up in arms about a logo and not talking about a new sports car .

Why do I drive a McLaren