free hit
counters
Lotus just changed their brand identity - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Nathan Pitman

Lotus just changed their brand identity

New badge looks distinctly poor!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
16 minutes ago, Andrew C said:

New logo how bad is it very bad poor design far to simple for the bonnet of a £1.7m hypercar .

I have criticised it  on Facebook and been told off. Is it not very sad that we are up in arms about a logo and not talking about a new sports car .

Why do I drive a McLaren 

Because McLaren drivers don’t use grammar?

(Joke! It’s okay, nothing to see, just a little joke at the expense of a McLaren driver)

Smiley face

Sudders and Dany

Prefer the outgoing font and the fact that the LOTUS text 'smiles' rather than being straight. Be interesting to see the new font in a curved style to compare.

Also most modern designs are all very simple so this is probably in keeping with current trends.

I suspect most people wouldn't even notice it

construction and property consultants : My company

Some brands don't go with trends and instead respect the heritage e.g.

BMW, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, Audi, Pork, Alfa, Ferrari, Morgan etc.

I wish Lotus would do likewise.

• Like 1

I thought I liked the last badge until I saw the old and the new side by side.

The last badge does look a bit dated I feel with the chrome out line.

I actually think I like the new badge. Simple & bold

buddsy

• Like 2

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Over the years Lotus has faced all sorts of criticism about many issues, much of it deserved. I don’t think I have ever heard of the badge design being one of those issues. Haven’t they got more important things to be spending their time and money on?

• Like 1

Quite right , but nothing makes a management team think they’re doing something so very productive as when they’re discussing fonts and colours or having ‘tissue’ sessions with the agency....

However in others areas I’m sure they’re beavering away on the new product 👍

Black n gold

1 hour ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Haven’t they got more important things to be spending their time and money on?

Yes and No Id say. Corporate branding and advertising can make your product more desirable.

Also from a merchandising point of view a clean brand can be worth a great deal. I wonder how the percentage of people who describe themselves as Lotus Fans actually owns a Lotus car and how that compares with the same of Ferrari?

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Finding ways to making the Lotus badge more aspirational and desireable to a wider audience is essential if Lotus are going to deliver Geely's ambition for the brand.

I'm not convinced this new logo achieves much towards that end, it looks cheaper and less premium to me but I accept it will work better online and on social media where logos are often typically tiny compared to say print ads and more traditional media - the main reason many big brands are going for more simple, flatter logos. It's already working better online compared to the previous logo which loses detail when very small on screen. But this does seem like the tail wagging the dog to me. I find the CABC intials to be an inelegant design but I'm relieved that they are still there at all! I only hope the 'old' badge will still be an option for the nose of the next generation cars. I've invested in it heavily with emotions over the years!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Pits said:

I find the CABC intials

:cry::blink::shock::unsure:

• Haha 1

I suppose this is the good thing about the internet and forums it/they allow us all to discuss various issues/topics 

being a Lotus owning family for 40 years I thought I would ask various members what they thought of the change in badge/logo, first impressions I had to point out the change to all but one!

me I’m extremely happy it still has the name LOTUS and just as importantly THE Boss’s Initials are still proudly on display, both could have changed or been removed by the new owners and we wouldn’t have been able to do much about it, apart from have a good whinge and stop buying the cars that we all think are pretty awesome/special 

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own a true British supercar the Evora GT430

It's current and right on trend, everything's flat and looks like a stock vector these days, that's just what's considered cool. The yellow and green have moved into contemporary shades too. I'd imagine it's almost instantly adaptable for various applications - illumination, print, digital. 

It jarred me at first but I love it and the idea that they took the visual weight out of the badge, works for me.

• Like 1

To me.....Lotus doesn't need to be current and right on trend with it's logo.......it's about the history in the badge........not the latest design.......

When was the last time Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, Porsche....and the other top end brands that they wish to be along side .....change their logos????

The prancing horse,.....The bull,.....The wings.....etc......

Did it need to been resigned........I'm sure Colin was happy with it and it's been kept similar for 70 years.....apart from the couple of years they tried a green lozenge thing........and that looked awful.........

Just my own personal view........but when I next buy a new lotus......if they tell me it's going to have that badge on......I will ask for the old badge to be applied.....and if not possible would rather have it debadged.........of get some n if I of ones from eBay..........they'll be the Chinese copy I'm happy with.......

• Like 2

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Wonder if it will last as  long as the 86-88 lozenge logos which reallly were quite nasty.

well I guess feedback from clients in the next 2/3 years will inform the decision to tweak the design further... I'd be ok with it if the font was a bit sharper, right now it looks like arial.

8 hours ago, theelanman said:

Did it need to been resigned........I'm sure Colin was happy with it and it's been kept similar for 70 years.....

This has gotten a little overblown. It's hardly different, all the original elements are there. It's the same logo, no one outside current owners would notice. We want to see Lotus do well and the general feeling is excitement and anticipation now that they have proper backing. You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. The logo has been refined, not redesigned, and considering we're talking about a company who has been all about creating focussed drivers cars derived from a racing heritage, it fits and will appeal to a younger market.

I'll be looking forward to seeing it physically on a car.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GTK said:

. It's hardly different,

Hmmmm...... though I do agree that I’d like to see the 3D badge render for the car. It’ll be a 3D badge won’t it....not this designed on Apple iPad photo edition pap I assume...

8E91D47D-3D2B-4686-828A-AC5597F4ACD5.jpeg

Black n gold

Anyone else looking forward to November the 1st and the 10% import duty hike on nasty German manufactured cars. That’ll should help focus some folks on considering to invest in a British built proper sports car 👍

Bentley have tweaked their badging over the years - softening the edges of the mascot and changing the style slightly - the lotus rejig isn’t in any way offensive - just a wee bit different 

Only here once

I don't like the look of it, but as others have said other manufacturers such as Aston  Martin have had lots of versions of their badges. Alfa changed theirs last year with a rejig. 

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

2 hours ago, Stubox said:

...It’ll be a 3D badge won’t it....

I'm hoping it's infused into the composite [and maybe even backlit too!]. Given how manufacturers are all about the grams these days, being able to do away with 100g+ without having to think twice about functional knock on effect, would be a no brainer. Plus... the company famous for composite vehicles and adding lightness, further reducing weight by putting their moniker IN the car rather than on it... slick.

• Like 2

Interestingly though the 2010 corporate logo never actually appeared in enamel form on the nose of a car. If the new thing is just a corporate logo adapted for online use then that's all good. 

I never much liked the 80's lozenge logos either so there is a point where it's reasonable to object about logo designs and where the change was proven to be a mistake, even if it was in keeping with the design trends of the time.

I like the revision - looks nice and Retro and reminds me of the great Lotus days. I suppose some would argue they should be looking forward with the Evija launch but its ok by me. I think the McLaren 'swoosh' thing is naff.............

Edited by nello

5 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Anyone else looking forward to November the 1st and the 10% import duty hike on nasty German manufactured cars. That’ll should help focus some folks on considering to invest in a British built proper sports car 👍

Won’t Lotus be hit with the double whammy of tariffs on their imported components, as well as tariffs on exported cars to the likes of the EU countries? As far as I can remember, the fibre glass body panels come from France, electronics from Germany, aluminium from Norway (free trade to EU states), engines and gearboxes from Japan (new free trade deal with EU starting soon). It won’t be a bed of roses for Lotus post Brexit. Also I find it anathema to my capitalist mind that I need to pay an extra 10% of my hard earned cash to help pay for a bunch of new civil servants to allow me to buy something.

Makes a nice change just moaning about the badge on the bonnet and not the whole car.

D946F8A9-A046-4AEF-84E1-68828742847C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1