free hit
counters
Input shaft - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I have a 81 S3 on removing gearbox the input shaft came out easily, presume missing circlip, previous owner was driving the car with no clutch / gearbox issues. Is the circlip required? Can it be fitted without a box stripdown ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi!  The circlip is non-critical, so no strip really necessary.  Make absolutely certain you have a nylatron washer on the shaft though.

However, I do expect some to disagree with me...

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

I agree...   I think the snap ring is simply to retain the input shaft.  On assembly it is effectively redundant once the spring loaded input shaft is loaded against its thrust bearing (the Nylatron washer) .   If you do refit the snap ring, you need to remove the bellhousing, which also involves removing the 2 driveshaft housings.   Reassembly requires a spring balance and a dial guage to check the diff pre=load & backlash.   Not a particularly difficult job, but may require selective shims to get right (I just make my own out of shimstock)  

Edited by 910Esprit

3 hours ago, Sparky said:

Hi!  The circlip is non-critical, so no strip really necessary.  Make absolutely certain you have a nylatron washer on the shaft though.

However, I do expect some to disagree with me...

Hi, correct. Imho and for what I have read and heard before the circlip is essential. The springload is to big for the circlip. The input shaft is pushed forward and than the nylon thrustwasher will fail and input shaft starts drilling it's way into crank shaft. This issue never happens in Citroen SM or DS because bearing in flywheel is ball bearing an no nylon ring. Better install upgrade circlip.

cheers,

Harry  Martens

• Like 1

with kind regarDS,

Harry Martens

www.ds-vitesse.com

As mentioned, there will be some different opinions, in the interim I spoke to previous owner who had the car for 4 years and no clutch/gearbox issues.He never changed clutch or removed the box.

However I always believe it was fitted by the manafacturer then its there for a valid reason.

Pic of my input shaft attached - cant see where the circlip would hold, looking down the input tube there does not seem to be a ridge of sorts to hold a clip

20190811_112335_resized.jpg

The snapring fits in a recess in the input shaft (I mean the mainshaft in the geargox itself)  and would sit on the shoulder at the end of the splines (under spring tension) .  Thats a pretty nasty input shaft.  Maybe better biting the bullet and replace it.    I'd remove the top cover of the box and check that not too much contamination has entered via the input shaft scroll drain tube into the bellhousing  

Edited by 910Esprit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, David Pattison said:

Pic of my input shaft attached - cant see where the circlip would hold, looking down the input tube there does not seem to be a ridge of sorts to hold a clip

20190811_112335_resized.jpg

That one will end up with no drive at all soon if replaced.

with kind regarDS,

Harry Martens

www.ds-vitesse.com

2 minutes ago, David Pattison said:

If I don't fit the circlip?

With or without. It will fail sooner than you think 

That input shaft is toast

with kind regarDS,

Harry Martens

www.ds-vitesse.com

Picture is not a good reflection I admit,when zooming in it doesn't look great, its only a 30k car. I will have local gearbox company check it out.

This part is beyond not obtainable out here unfortunatly

2 minutes ago, David Pattison said:

Picture is not a good reflection I admit,when zooming in it doesn't look great, its only a 30k car. I will have local gearbox company check it out.

This part is beyond not obtainable out here unfortunatly

I have stock, incl upgrade circlip.

with kind regarDS,

Harry Martens

www.ds-vitesse.com