free hit
counters
Cylinder liner removal - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
pbharcourt

Cylinder liner removal

I have to remove and reseal one of my cylinder liners as it has been leaking coolant into the sump.

Does anybody have a tool I might borrow or a trick on how to pull the liner safely as it is very stuck.

IMG_20190810_150540.jpg

IMG_20190810_150443.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You can borrow mine if you like - I made it last year and I'm not using it at the moment.  If you pm me your address I can post it to you.

Pete

• Like 2

I think I would replace the liners and piston rings while I was in there.

• Like 1

I think your right!

I am hoping that there is no corrosion in the alloy.

My liners are stuck too so perhaps I could have the removal tool after pbh?

I was going to make something...

Pm on its wayIMG_20190712_133126.jpg.ba77a75be3f0cabb7064a1d1f3658bca.jpg

Hey Tom,

PM me your address and with Pete's approval I will post it on to you when I have pulled mine out.

Liner came out without any drama, amazing 😀 how easy a job is with the right tool.

Thank you Peter!

Round of applause Paul - swift, decisive and well photographed. 

Let me know your resealing methods.

Tom

Well-done Paul!  Is there any corrosion on the block wall as you suspected?

Pete

I thought you were only taking one out Paul.

Isn't that b&d's finest workmate?

I've got one the same - even the "finish"

Please photograph the alignment method on refitting for my reference!

If you buy new liners from Lotusbits, Mike Taylor will sell you some magic grunge that he uses on his rebuilds.

12 hours ago, tom kilner said:

Please photograph the alignment method on refitting for my reference!

Two parallels and a digital depth gauge is easiest:  Zero the gauge on the liner and then slide over to block and measure depth to surface.  You can measure both sides to see if the liner is canted over at all.

Pete

Loctite 572.  It's a "setting" type so get the head straight on or leave it to go off with liner clamps in place.

Pete

• Like 1

Just a quick update.

I cleaned the block up the other day and discovered the reason for my water in oil problem, there were two corrosion holes below the cylinder liner seals, one in No1 cylinder and another one in No4 cylinder.

This was probably due to it sitting outside unused for 20 plus years before I bought it.

This caused me a lot of head scratching about what to do, I have a spare 907 block but with no sump, so do I just swap it or repair it?

I decided that it was worth a go at a repair as I had nothing to lose, I could have just used an epoxy resin to fill the holes but I wanted something a bit more permanent.

IMG_20190828_102116.jpg

.....I decided to drill the corrosion out and use some aircraft grade countersunk aluminium rivets. 

Welding would have been another option but I didn't want any block distortion.

I drilled out to give a slight interference fit, tapped the rivet in and then peened the ends over, I will use a bit of sealant around the area just to be on the safe side.

IMG_20190828_114218.jpg

IMG_20190828_114543.jpg

IMG_20190828_120610.jpg

• Like 2

Brilliant job Paul!  A little extra Loctite when you put the liners back and you're sorted.  

Pete

• Like 1

I have worked on wet liner engines from a number of different manufacturers and all of them have had stepped liners that allow water to flow all the way around the cylinder.

Now I know that the 907 was an an early wet liner engine  but it seems a bit of a design flaw to butt the liners together, so I thought a little modification was in order.

It's only a small thing but a gentle grinding of the liner sides to let a bit of water flow around might help the poor thing keep cool.

I don't know if it will work but it's worth a try!

IMG_20190829_152734.jpg

By how much do you think you've increased the gap?  What was it to start with?  I wonder if different liners have different gaps?  I'll have to dig mine out of the box and line them up - I've not done that - only seen them in the block itself.

Pete

They are the original liners, they have a raised edge down each side which butts up to the adjoining liner when fitted in the block....so no gap at all between the liners themselves.

So all I have done is reduce the raised edge in a curve so as not to introduce any stress lines, this should allow a bit of water flow between the liners and reduce any flow dead spots.

As you can see on my liners there has been cavitation due to over heating which has eroded the outer surface of the liner a bit.

I don't know if it will work but it made sense in my twisted little mind🤪