free hit
counters
Evora GT Sport 410 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Now I know everything is about lightness in a Lotus, but after a reasonably long journey in the Evora the stereo is just simply awful.    To sort that its gone away for a rest at the Bide a wee home for Car Hi-Fi.

Plan is to have everything sorted (new speakers, sound processor, custom trimmed to match car and amp with a discrete sub).   Will take some photos and post up.  I'm sure it won't be cheap but the guys I use are geniuses and everything will be trimmed in matching alcantara with the right colour stitching.

They like the Alpine HU but having taken out the speakers did say Lotus choice left a lot to be desired.   Biggest issue is depth of door speakers.

IMG_2032.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice car and can only agree about the stereo from the perspective of a lowly S1 owner. Nothing wrong with even my older Alpine HU, but replacing the amp, speakers and sub with proper hi fi has made all the difference. 

Funnily enough I changed to pioneer apple play unit and changed sub/ amp to vibe units 

made a massive difference would like to change door speakers to Focal but can’t afford it for now 

if I purchased a new car at over £80k would like some decent sound system regardless of lotus weight aims 

I know many aren’t bothered about music quality in this type of car but for me it would bug me 

Well it gone done after much business travel delayed things.  Ended up a mix of Hertz speakers (as they fit well), Audison and Audio Control for sub, controller and 6 way amp.  Set up has been done by the supplier on their computer rig (rather than my fitters) as it was the first one done properly by Audio Control/Audison.

It sounds amazing and I asked for more 'audiophile' than bass bias.  Makes boring journeys that bit more sociable.

IMG_2115(1).JPG

IMG_2116(1).JPG

I have no view on the standard stereo as my car doesn't have one at all.

Big fan of the colour of your car though! Mega.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Biggriff said:

Well it gone done after much business travel delayed things.  Ended up a mix of Hertz speakers (as they fit well), Audison and Audio Control for sub, controller and 6 way amp.  Set up has been done by the supplier on their computer rig (rather than my fitters) as it was the first one done properly by Audio Control/Audison.

It sounds amazing and I asked for more 'audiophile' than bass bias.  Makes boring journeys that bit more sociable.

IMG_2115(1).JPG

IMG_2116(1).JPG

Lovely install I suspect it cost a pretty penny ?

i am an audiophile probably like many on this forum however I concluded the spend on improving a car system is defeated by the intrusion of the engine , road and general acoustics of a car.

i did on my novice upgrade install sound installation on the sub area but haven’t touched door speakers which I like to replace with some focal but I need to use my money elsewhere 

nice job and anything that make the Evora a more pleasurable place to be is great 👍🏻

You are correct.  The install wasnt cheap (£2k), but the quality of the components was the main gift to myself.  Cant understand when people take Bilsteins off a car and put a £400 cheap coil over kit on.... why?   My garage would throw me out if I didnt either go OEM or Ohlins; and rightly so.  I took the same approach to the Evora hi-fi.

10 hours ago, Biggriff said:

You are correct.  The install wasnt cheap (£2k), but the quality of the components was the main gift to myself.  Cant understand when people take Bilsteins off a car and put a £400 cheap coil over kit on.... why?   My garage would throw me out if I didnt either go OEM or Ohlins; and rightly so.  I took the same approach to the Evora hi-fi.

Wow £2k !

thats a load of bucks and just in my humble opinion I wonder if there would be a massive audible gain given the factors I explained earlier ?

its just a debate I am having with myself and local Hifi shop as I am currently rebuilding my home Hifi 

the gain I would actually hear if I would spend a few £k on upgrades wouldn’t be massive given the type of acoustics in my home and my hearing levels of mid fifties male means I wouldn’t pick up frequency ranges of high end equipment 

so in conclusion spending a few hundred extra £ on selected items might give me a better gain per £ 

however I totally respect and envy that your prepared to invest into what has made you happy Enjoy ! 

Mine was 2 k labour a few years ago. Time taking the thing apart, rewiring, repacking or actually putting packing in the doors and then set up and test before putting it all back together and test again. Well worth it for me, but horss for courses etc. The good thing for others is that following someone who has already done it will be cheaper if you can diy and just use the known components.

Re the general point with hi fi, it's always a law of diminishing returns. I have a costly hi fi in my French barn conversion. Not an anechoic chamber in sight but even visitors comment on the (good) sound.

Given it’s a £100k car the price seemed in proportion and I could have gone cheaper but I couldn’t face looking at cheap bass boy components and knowing I could have done it properly.  I’m very fussy and you should see my car rebuild projects.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bruss said:

Re the general point with hi fi, it's always a law of diminishing returns. I have a costly hi fi in my French barn conversion. Not an anechoic chamber in sight but even visitors comment on the (good) sound.

Yes Bruss

in an environment you have the system might be luckily or by good choice a great set up 

however in my modest urban detached house converted garage my gains might be more modest and even if I spent £ks on high end equipment & cables etc I won’t be able to fully appreciate the upgrades 

saying that once my Hifi is rebuilt in next few week I know my vintage speakers will be highlighted as weak point but I will wait and see over a period of time ? 

Clive, its just about where we prefer to spend our ill gotten gains.After all  I've convinced myself that my Evora is worth every penny I've spent on it. 😀

1 hour ago, Bruss said:

Clive, its just about where we prefer to spend our ill gotten gains.After all  I've convinced myself that my Evora is worth every penny I've spent on it. 😀

I am only envious of your French barn conversion sounds idyllic when compared to my Uk East midlands semi urban rainy boring box  !l🤨

11 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

I am only envious of your French barn conversion sounds idyllic when compared to my Uk East midlands semi urban rainy boring box  !l🤨

Work from home. Move to France. 🍷