free hit
counters
Radiator Fans - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
1990 Red Excel

Radiator Fans

Hi.

Took my 1990 Excel out for a short run on Sunday as the outside temperature was about 20 degrees and dry for once.

The engine temperature was reading at about 85 degrees constantly by the time I got home, drove into the driveway left the

engine running while I opened the garage door on returning to drive car into garage noticed the temperature gauge was now up

to over 100 degrees. I checked to see if both the radiator fans were working and they were both running fast, but both were running 

anti-clockwise when looking from the side pushing cool air towards the engine and not towards the radiator.

My question is should the fans run anti-clockwise pushing cool air towards the engine and not towards the radiator as I thought

the fans should cool the radiator?

If the fans are working at the wrong direction how can I rectify them to work clockwise pushing cool air towards the radiator?

Your help would much be appreciated .

Ian.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The fans should PULL "cool" air through the radiator and PUSH it into the engine bay, from where it escapes.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Check the fans as above, if the rotate in the wrong direction, you can simply swap the wires around.

Also check coolant level. If both are OK, nexty likely suspect is the thermostat, not opening enough to get a good flow at low engine rpm.

Filip

• Thanks 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.