free hit
counters
Spilling, Grammer And Sintax - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Spilling, Grammer And Sintax

AH... Good point!

"You're and your"

There's a friend of mine who uses your for *everything* and her spelling is dreadful - she has just graduated with a FIRST in media and communications!

I use Txt spk and MSN chat constantly - it's just shorthand. Quicker to type, takes no extra time to read. Get over it Grandads :);)

1337 sp33|< is entriely about not being able to be read 'by machine'. It was invented by proper hackers to make sure their communications couldn't be spied upon so easily. It was then adopted by the *most* annoying of the spotty teenagers to try to big themselves up!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who thinks up these signs.

The alternative parable I heard about "Eats, shoots, and leaves" was regarding a disagreement between a prostitute and a panda, with the panda refusing to pay for services rendered due to his written

We called a colleague Panda ever since a party where he had relations with the hosts sister in law in the conservatory and left without saying goodbye. He hated it.

Posted Images

There's a friend of mine who uses your for *everything* and her spelling is dreadful - she has just graduated with a FIRST in media and communications!

A career at the Guardian, perhaps?

<snip> Get over it Grandads :);)

In my day our cars had doorhandles.... ;)

Here is another example of incorrect or inappropriate use of punctuation. The multi-story car park I use in Derby greets me with "Please take a ticket!" and when I am leaving, requests that I "Please insert ticket!". It then says "Thank You!".

I hold my hands up if I'm wrong but although a polite request, isn't 'Please take a ticket/insert ticket' also a command hence the use of an exclamation mark? Inappropriate maybe, but not incorrect.

'Thank you!' is a bit OTT though!

Pete

PS Please add me to the grumpy old men club as I spell and punctuate my text messages in full.

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

the problem with this issue is those with natural forms of disability when it comes to typing or a form of dyselxia or other handicaps where spelling or tryping/writing is concerned.

i know that i make mistakes, there nothing i can do about it, worst thing is when i read it , the scentence looks ok to me i see no errors and there is nothing i can do about this at all.

for those with dyslexia they too are challenged in this area, and those with general handicaps may be un willing to backspace half a page or goto another line just to correct or add a letter to a word.

the general meaning and structure of the thread is always acertainable in whatever form its written, i for one think that shoudl be enough.

yes spell checkers can be used before posting or typing, but then i feel like im being pushed into complying with the norm and being told and made to fit it, srry im not the norm, i already fit in and i dnt like being told how i should do things just to please smeone else.

its not a personal rant , and not a witch hunt but things like this should be left alone and those who suffer with this infliction made to feel welcome despite this obvious difficulty they suffer, as this could then be turned to also reflect n those with speech difficulties, or other forms of handicap, i have seen this happen many times on many forums, a little quip turns into a internet freeforall and friendships destroyed.

im sorry i see no benefit from threads like this which question an individuals capabilities in any form.

Theres all kinds of people on here with all sorts of backgrounds, so as I may occasionally joke about some members bad spelling (Tony Kimberley), its all in good humour. :wallbash:

As long as people are willing to take the time to contribute here, I wont get all bent up If the spelling/grammer is incorrect. :beer:

Sincerely, WayneB (this forum is the first real typing I have done since leaving college in 1980, my wife who is a secretary drafted and typed up all my letters)

glass_house_06.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg
And when organisations like the BBC who really ought to know better do shockingly poor things too.

But who is surprised any more?!

^^ (D'ya see what I did there?!)

I have also heard BBC TV news pr :beer: esenters claim that something WREAKED havoc! :D

...and it's I could HAVE done (x,y or z) NOT I could OF done it! The slang is I could've or could 'ave not could OF! (Sorry - that one kinda bugs me lol!)

But who would of known?! :ice:

Oi Fishy !

I remember standing next to you when you asked of the counter assistant.....

" Could I GET a cola ?" or whatever it was that you wished to order. :rofl:

Or is that now Cool streetspeak ?? an i dont geddit, innit. cos imer old git? :wallbash:

Mike

"Neglect not thy opportunities"

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

Hahaha - No that's simply a shocking Americanism of which I am hangably guilty!

I offer no excuse m'lud and throw myself upon the mercy of the court.

To mitigate, I would like to highlight the absence of sentences beginning with "and" or "but", the correct use of "your" and "you're" and even some correct use of apostrophes! (Thanks to a remedial class to Paul C's missus (<-- see!)) :beer:

A career at the Guardian, perhaps?

LOL - Ftmch!

Better - She got offered a job by QVC! :ice:

In my day our cars had doorhandles.... :rofl:

I bet they even opened outwards! :wallbash:

_38347633_kevin300.jpg

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

BigSi - as I tried to make clear when I started the thread, this was a global rant and not aimed at anyone here - least of all you (far too big and Welsh!) or anyone with a genuine disability.

I think the number of responses vindicates the original post - and it IS in the General Chat section. Trust me - I'd read some of the posts on here backwards if that's what it took - they're so entertaining/informative/fun.

Wayne - is that a picture of a glass house? Somefink about not frowing stones (aaargh - don't get me started on sloppy speech!).

Stu

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

I am one of the posters that will willingly hold hands up to bad spelling. All through school, any mathmatical equations - no problem. Spelling and grammer - absolutely terrible. In my 1000 odd posts, I'd put money on around 900 having spelling mistakes in. Whilst I'm not in any way proud of this, this is me. i just can't seem to remember words as they should be.

One word I do remember strangly from school. NESESSARY - ie never eat selary eat salard sandwiches and remain young. (strange the things your brain choises to remember)

ps Accept apols for future posting errors :wallbash::beer:

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I don't want to hear anymore about dyslexia. I had a friend with dyslexia. He was very depressed about it and tried to commit suicide. He jumped behind a bus.

Thank you. I will be here all week.

Seriously, if you are offended by someones spelling, grammar, or choice colorful language, stop reading. I think forums in general are such wonderful things in and of themselves. I am getting to communicate with a guy in Australia, Canada, the UK and the guy down the street at once. I don't give a crap if they spell or not.

Cheers,

Clay

Ooh! I forgot....

They're.

Their.

There.

I'm also a graduate of scumbag college!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

One of my colleagues at work will not let me forget one minor typo.

I always run email spell check, sometimes I hit the ignore button too quickly and it turns out that the howler I just skipped was the only thing stopping the email from going, so it's too late. When it comes to sending a draft email to somebody to obtain their views, I tend to ignore spell check.

This was the routine at the end of a day when the report was going to the director the next morning, first thing, the email was going to a colleague so that should he be asked about it, he knew the contents.

ONE LITTLE TYPO. I meant to type account, I missed a couple of letters. OOPS.

When he managed to get in contact the next morning he seemed very concerned, especially that I'd already sent the mail. As always I'd run the spell check, picked up the error and all was well, except for his blood pressure which had been getting progressively worse from 11pm onwards, the time he read the draft mail.

Grammar, I have a plan, if they follow the (badly written) instruction, then it's OK with me.

Give people the instruction to "throw yourself of the cliff if you can't identify any off the mistake's".

Andy

Interesting thread. I try to spell and punctuate correctly but I am never really sure whether I succeed, particularly with the punctuation. I'm a bit free with the commas, methinks. I have to write reports at work and check others' so I get regular instruction in spelling from the spell checker. I've no excuse for bad spelling, really, as I went to a grammar school being one of the last to leave before it was made into a comprehensive.

I have noticed that sometimes spelling, punctuation and grammar fall a bit short of text book standard but I don't let it bother me. It easily could, but the thought that the writer is putting across is the important thing. There are plenty on here who are more prolific posters than I and I stumble over the letters when trying to type quickly so I am sure they have the same problem. My backspace key is the most worn and it does get tedious so I can't blame others for not bothering in the heat of the moment.

As always, folks like Jussi and Rens have the best spelling, putting us to shame.

What does annoy me is bad grammar encouraged by institutions. I am so tempted (but too much of a wuss) to go into a shop advertising, "Everything $1!" I want to pull out a dollar and say, "Here you are. I'll take everything." It's EACH thing $1.

Another one that annoys me is, when you come off the northbound M1 at junction 15 (I think), there is a sign instructing motorists to "Use both lanes." What is one supposed to do? Drive along the white line in the middle of the road? Of course, they mean us to use either lane. Just sloppy English.

The new irritation is misusing "I" when "me" is appropriate. For example, "Mum cooked dinner for my brother and I." Or, "Give to her and I." You wouldn't say, "Give it to them and we," would you? TV announcers are common perpetrators of this offense. What they are doing is teaching bad English.

For punctuation education, one can read, "Eats, shoots, and leaves." The sleeve notes said it was a best-seller in England. The title comes from a story on the back cover about a panda going into a restaurant. Eats a meal. Pulls out a gun and shoots someone and then walks out. Someone chased after him and asked why he did that. The panda replies, "I am a panda. That's what pandas do according to the instructions I have on this paper." He then pulls out a piece of paper upon which it was written, "Panda - member of the bear family. Lives in China. Eats, shoots, and leaves." See, punctuation can make a difference.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

That reminds me. All posts to the "How I will miss these drunken ramblings" topic are exempt from this discussion. If your spelling and punctuation are perfect there, you are cheating. :(

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• 13 years later...

Who thinks up these signs.

IMG_20200729_201611.thumb.jpg.685d206e7f827cc9301e14c40d8cf73c.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

If this sign is indicative of a road closure further up and is telling you to follow the diversion which will be coming up, isn’t this correct?

If it is, you’re  lucky. Going into Melbourne, there are quite a few turnoffs where you are told where you are after you have taken it. Not very useful. 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Well I'll come from the other side my spelling and grama is dreadful and I look back at my school years and all anybody could say was well look at his spelling and grama he must be thick.

Well yes I would love to be able to produce reports with the correct grammar but at 52 years old I don't think that's going to happen now.

And as my new manager found out that laughing at one of my reports as I had spelt a certain word two different ways is not the way to win friends especially as he has absolutely no refrigeration experience and I've 37years with a fully indentured apprenticeship so fast forward to his first big meeting with a well known supermarket pitching for a new Ammonia refrigeration plant and he asks me to go along to help support him in his £57k job he made a complete ass of himself Infront of the customer and consultant at which point outside he turns and asks me why I diddent I nterject I said I was to busy laughing.

He doesn't laugh at my reports now come to think of it since his abysmal meeting he doesn't laugh much at all.

• Haha 1

I've had a little rant today that because the person that wrote a certain (circa 15 words) sentence found themselves unable to use punctuation, I've had to cover all possible meanings of the sentence in my assessment. Let alone the ambiguous nature of the sentence irrespective of the omitted punctuation.

I'm expecting any response to contain a sentence that starts with the word "But", at which point I may need to walk away from the P.C. for a few moments.

There are times when what appears to be an error of grammar or punctuation can reveal a hidden truth. For instance, one of the elementary schools I attended in my youth had a sign at the roadside saying "Slow Children Playing". 

Indeed, many of them were. 

• Like 1

Mike

'97 V8

'73 Europa TC

'10 Elise SC

On 01/07/2007 at 06:09, USAndretti42 said:

For punctuation education, one can read, "Eats, shoots, and leaves." The sleeve notes said it was a best-seller in England. The title comes from a story on the back cover about a panda going into a restaurant. Eats a meal. Pulls out a gun and shoots someone and then walks out. Someone chased after him and asked why he did that. The panda replies, "I am a panda. That's what pandas do according to the instructions I have on this paper." He then pulls out a piece of paper upon which it was written, "Panda - member of the bear family. Lives in China. Eats, shoots, and leaves." See, punctuation can make a difference.

The alternative parable I heard about "Eats, shoots, and leaves" was regarding a disagreement between a prostitute and a panda, with the panda refusing to pay for services rendered due to his written definition. Probably not one they teach in class.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Signature not working...