free hit
counters
2ZZ Toyota Bad cold start - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cottec

2ZZ Toyota Bad cold start

Hi All,

I'm a new Elise 111R Sportsracer MY06 owner from Germany.

Unfortunately this great car is starting to give me a headache. Probably you're more experienced with this engine than I am.

This is what happens every single cold start:

- Idle is just fine.

- If you rapidly push the pedal the engine almost dies if you dont get your foot off immediately

- If you keep on pushing it dies

- If you barely touch it and push it down very very carfully it'll rev like nothing happened, but will fail again when kicking it rapidly.

- After a couple of seconds on a higher rev it's working okay until you apply some load by moving the car. I have to push the pedal a bit more than necessary to prevent the engine from randomly dropping the revs which is probably not that healthy for the clutch.

- after drinving some 100 yards everything is running just fine like the day i got it.

The issue occured the first time after i spent about 400 miles on the Autobahn doing about 90-100mph in average and started it cold the next morning.

- I recently fitted a new TRD Airbox and sealed the connector on the intake manifold

- Throttlebody is clean and not sticking

- New spark plugs last week

- MAF new today

- No errors  when checking the memory

This is a log, you can see the engine dropping when kicking the pedal a bit. the second half looks way better (it already started to get warm, check the time)

Will try to get a more detailed graph mit more PIDs read.

20281-2019-08-03-09-54-45-jpg

Do you guys have any idea what could be checked next on my own? Did anybody experience the same issues?

Cheers!

Edited by cottec

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Does the car have traction control? Is it black or silver dash clocks? The 100 yards bit makes me think about an ABS or wheel sensor issue causing traction control to limit the power? ABS error codes checked?

Dave

Hi Dave,

yeah it has this anti slip control, no esp. dont know the colour of the dash atm.

sorry, 100 yards are not that correct.

the issues are occuring stationaly and when driving out of the parking garage and up the steep ramp. while driving on the ramp the revs drop and increases quite randomly. after being on the streets for only some few yards the car behaves like normal, no issue at the next stop or whatever. when the ambient temperature outside is ~above 20-25°C the problems are not showing at all.