free hit
counters
Loud squeal+wrench light=no AC? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Champale

Loud squeal+wrench light=no AC?

Hey guys - weird thing happened today. Over 100 degrees F and I was driving my 2017 Evora 400 (US spec) with 5100 miles in 2nd gear at 30mph when I heard a loud squeal from the engine bay, the car felt like something was dragging on the brakes, and then I noticed the wrench light on. This lasted for maybe 3-5 seconds then it went out, I gave it light throttle and the squeal happened again and the car slowed (almost like a brake was dragging or the engine was in a limp home mode). After a few seconds, the light went out and the car felt fine. But the AC was blowing warm air now. Drove a mile or so, parked it for half an hour, then came out and started it again. The wrench light was on the dash for a few seconds, then it went out. Turned AC on, fans blew warm air so I shut the AC off and drove about 3 miles home.

Jumped on both forums and saw some posts about belt slippage causing a fault code because the speed of the belt wasn't correct for the rpm. The solution seems to be clear the faults via the OBD so I pulled out my laptop and Komo Tec dongle and did just that. Then I started the car up, turned on the AC, the idle dropped (compressor kicking on?) and was inconsistent for a few seconds, then I started to smell burning rubber!?! Turned car off, popped the rear hatch and a little smoke came out of the right (passenger) side and the smell was pretty bad. With a flashlight I can't see much from the top side and won't have time to take the undertray off for a few days.

What the heck has happened???

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Compressor pump siezed would be my guess. If the ac compressor clutch is ok then for now leave the ac awitched off.

Gav

8 minutes ago, 21gg said:

Compressor pump siezed would be my guess. If the ac compressor clutch is ok then for now leave the ac awitched off.

Gav

Yep, this, unfortunately.

Not too hard a job on the Evora. Should be sorted under warranty I would have thought.

Dave

Thank you guys for that information!  Yes, car is still under warranty so hopefully I can get it fixed by Lotus - unfortunately the closest dealer is 90 miles away so the drive there won't be fun in this heat but oh well!

Is compressor replacement a clam off job?

35 minutes ago, Champale said:

Is compressor replacement a clam off job?

No, it's done through the engine bay access panel inside the car (behind rear seats, if you have them).

Dave

oh, engine bay access panel.   I'm going to have to go and have a look at that !   This must be how they got access to change out my serpentine belt a while back.

3 hours ago, furious_blue said:

oh, engine bay access panel.   I'm going to have to go and have a look at that !   This must be how they got access to change out my serpentine belt a while back.

Not required for belt change, that can be done through combination of RH wheel arch and from above & below.

But by all means go have a look - it's not hugely exciting!

Dave

You might want to look at the state of your condenser. If that's been smashed up by road debris that could have sent metal particles into the compressor, killing it.

Even if not, the compressor could have done the same to the system, so a flush through is highly advisable.