free hit
counters
V8 radiator replacement - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Mightymetro

V8 radiator replacement

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The second link is to an aluminum (aluminium on the right-hand side of the pond :yes: ) radiator. (Can't tell from the description in Cooling Solutions link)

Just a warning...seems as if the mounting style of the Esprit rad reduces the life of aluminum replacements.  I know of at least two owners who went back to brass (recored) units after experiencing failures within two years.

If you DO replace your radiator, hold onto the old one 'just in case' you need to recore it later.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

The first one they can do a triple core radiator for £420 so I think I’ll go with that rather than the aluminium ones.  It comes with the frame too in case mine is unusable 

Give Serck in Hayes a call. I had very good service from them, and you might save a bit on that price by having your original unit re-cored.

Margate Exotics.

Hi,

I used the radtek and very pleased with that option, they do a full package with the cooling fans. Or you can go for coolex in nottingham they are popular as well, alistair will discuss with you your options and will only use top spec material.... All the classic guys are there when I have been with there austins and MG..

On 16/08/2019 at 15:07, Mightymetro said:

The first one they can do a triple core radiator for £420 so I think I’ll go with that rather than the aluminium ones.  It comes with the frame too in case mine is unusable 

So you are saying that the first link is not triple core?

Are you suggesting to ask for their triple core model ? What material is it made of ? Is it, in your opinion, the best solution ? Any overheating issues after that ? Thanks !!

I had to ask for a triple core version.  It should be with me next week so I will post pictures and look at the quality of it.  It is normal steel rather than aluminium.  I have no idea if it is the best solution as there was nothing wrong with my old radiator, it’s just that I am changing everything engine related ready for my refurbished engine to go in.

9 hours ago, Mightymetro said:

I had to ask for a triple core version.  It should be with me next week so I will post pictures and look at the quality of it.  It is normal steel rather than aluminium.  I have no idea if it is the best solution as there was nothing wrong with my old radiator, it’s just that I am changing everything engine related ready for my refurbished engine to go in.

I am also rebuilding engine... and since I had overheating issues before... I might as well upgrade radiator (I think it was never sufficient in the first place)

The triple core is a must, and aluminum would be light and less prove to rusting... Probably more expensive...

I was thinking about this one..

http://www.proalloy.co.uk/cgi-bin/sitewise.pl?act=sect&s=52&id=proalloy

Provided they build the intercooler kit with separate radiator that fits next to the water radiator...

So I am waiting for now...