free hit
counters
Door opening to far. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi all,

The drivers side door on my 1996 V8 (Uk) opens so far that the leading edge of the door touches on the body pillar. It’s started to damage the door

I’ve taken the interior door card off and had a good look around. The mechanism that stops the door from opening to far, the check strap, is working. It stops the door, but not soon enough. I can’t see anyway to adjust this. 

Has anyone else had this problem and managed to adjust the check strap.

Thanks Andy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have similar issue with near side door.

Another one of those jobs that have been on the "to do" list but just not got around to it yet.

Would be interested to know if you solve.

Cheers

Paul

On my S4, the door strap slides around a bolt that is anchored in the aluminium door beam. I used a socket on the nut on that end. The bolt is held captive in a track in the beam if I remember correctly.. The strap mechanism on both of mine was adjusted in the correct place, but they are not overly sturdy. (add lightness) Once I removed them, I bent them back to their correct shape, put them back in and then opened the door to where I wanted it to stop, tightened everything up and it was fixed.

I don't presume they would have changed the door design?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I had the same problem. The bolt is single shear so eventually bends over. I made an extra bracket so it's double shear now. Fair amount of work though removing the door cards etc.

DanR

Michael,

Yes the door is the same design. So your straps were bent where they bolted to the door pillar? This would make sense, they would then be effectively longer.  

I’ll strip it down completely this time, let you know what I find.

Andy

806BB618-54DE-4B93-8896-4653C6A01B6D.jpeg

Actually from the image above it doesn’t look like the strap 20 can bend anywhere. It looks from the diagram that part 16 can be moved but mine couldn’t be slid back any further. Looks like I may have to modify it somehow. 

Drawing helps me remember a bit. The bolt that comes up from part 16 ends up bending forward. That is where the extra length comes from. That is the bolt that @DanR is referring to.

Once I got it all out, I flattened out part 16 and put it all back together. Not difficult. Used a fair bit of grease so that the spring that rides over part 22 was always lubricated and not dry. That would help with causing the bending of part 16.

If you search through the forum, you should be able to find @DanR's topic on what he did. His solution solved the issue from recurring again.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.