free hit
counters
polarised sunglasses make dash invisible - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Beady

polarised sunglasses make dash invisible

Noticed that my polarised ray banns make the LED/LCD (?) display vanish - cannot see the digital speed or any other digital readouts.

Non polarised glasses seem fine.

This in the 400; didn't notice it in the earlier cars.

Anyone else noticed this problem ? 

construction and property consultants : My company

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had this problem with a TomTom navigator. It occurs when the polarizing screen on the LCD dash is at 90 degrees to the polarizing layer in your sunglasses. You can try 2 things.

Either drive with your Ray Bans on and tilt your head at 90 degrees.  Awkward.

Or try other Polaroid sunnies that may have the layer at the right angle to suit your car dash. How can you check? You want a pair of sunnies that when held at 90 degrees to your Ray Bans, allow you to see through both of the lenses. Hold your Ray Bans in front of your dash at 90 degrees and you will see what I mean. 

I would have thought some sort of international standard would have been worked out, but alas, it does not appear so.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

8 hours ago, Beady said:

Yep, this is a known issue with polarised glasses and flat/lcd screens. It isn’t particular to Lotus. 

FWIW, pilots aren’t allowed to wear polarised sunglasses for the very same reason. Modern aircraft have lcd screens so the same issue can occur. 

Also an issue with our BMW heads up display. Shame cos thats a great bit of kit.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

The polarised sunnies that I have are fine with the Evora and our other cars but not good with my surface pro tablet

Q gave me a pair of sunglasses….

It makes the clothes disappear on pretty ladies, very distracting when driving

• Haha 1

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

60's flashback

71gVeLtzhqL._SL1500_.jpg

Image result for x ray glasses

Edited by comem47

Had this problem on me 400 as well, but don't remember having it on my S. Not sure if I had same glasses then though. It does actually warn you of this in the manual.

22 hours ago, Beady said:

Noticed that my polarised ray banns make the LED/LCD (?) display vanish - cannot see the digital speed or any other digital readouts.

Non polarised glasses seem fine.

This in the 400; didn't notice it in the earlier cars.

Yep, I had the same issue on the 410 I test drove before ordering my current car so was expecting the same when it arrived. Fortunately, though, I don’t have that problem with the new car, however, I do get the same with my iPhone in portrait but not in landscape - all very annoying. 

Thinking I will get non polarised lenses in my sunnies at the next prescription update. 

I was going to mention smartphones. If you go to take a picture or look at the screen when you have them on, it may work one way, but then you won't see anything if you turn the phone 90 degrees.

Same principle.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

21 hours ago, ramjet said:

Or try other Polaroid sunnies that may have the layer at the right angle to suit your car dash. How can you check? You want a pair of sunnies that when held at 90 degrees to your Ray Bans, allow you to see through both of the lenses

They don’t make them (unless you want polarised lenses that don’t decrease glare).

On 19/08/2019 at 05:26, au-yt said:

Oakley as my optometrist suggested, make a sun glass lense that has similar properties to Polarized but are not.. might be worth a followup. I hope this is the correct link

https://www.oakley.com/en-au/prizm

I use Oakley non polarised for driving. They're very good. The frames also allow for quick lens change so if you must have polarised for some situations you can quickly swap lenses.

• Like 1