free hit
counters
Should All Police now be armed? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Should All Police now be armed?

Should all Police now be armed with Firearms and/or Tasers   

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In light of last nights murder of a Police Officer who was sent to a Burglary, plus the stabbing in the head of an Officer earlier in the week AND another Officer suffering life changing injuries by purposely being run over on a traffic stop, Should all UK Police be routinely armed and what with.

Your thoughts are, as always, appreciated in a post as well! 

My thoughts (as a bit of an insider) are all Officers should be armed with a Taser, but I wouldn't want a firearm. If Firearms are routinely carried then there needs to be a change in regulations and attitudes.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@C8RKH they don’t even need a tv license either !! If I ever end up old and skint - you’ll be reading about an event and a politician or two - I’ll be living the rest of my days in a decent high quali

Yep arm them, if your not an @rsehole your not likely to get shot. Further, I work away a lot, lots of different countries over the years. In one country you got 25 years for car theft, guess wha

No. Not firearms as mandatory but yes to tasers and firearm support officers. But then they should be free to use suitable force (including lethal - and if necessary kicking the shit out of scum)

Posted Images

I guess I'd say somewhere between 2 & 3, not limited number with Taser and not all always with Taser. I accept that a Taser may help (or not) in many situations, but there will be a down side to having a Taser where it makes the officers less approachable and where some criminals then simply escalate the arms race and those currently with knives move to guns and so on.

I remember going to Edinburgh airport shortly after the Glasgow car attack, and was taken aback by armed officers patrolling the terminal, but after the first few seconds, it does give a safer feeling that somebody has a way to actually stop an attacker, and the same would be true for defending against a burglar. I think it was a terrible step when the law started treating the possession of a weapon during a crime, in the same way as the use of the weapon during the crime. It means that the offender may as well use it, they have nothing to loose (sentence the same) and everything to gain (possibly get away from the scene). So, if we carry on wit that mentality of ignoring the fact tat the person demonstrated a bit of restraint in not using the weapon, then we have to provide some sort of item that will allow police to intercept a person using something other than hand-to-hand and batons.

95% of Taser deployments don't result in a discharge. Normally the "Red Spotting" calms the situation to a level where it doesn't need to be used. 

If you were out there or even listening to a Police Radio on a Friday and Saturday you may change your mind about all Police Officers having Tasers. On Average 5 Norfolk Police officers are injured on a Friday and Saturday. No one should go to work not knowing if they are coming home again and Taser makes a massive difference. However, at present, due to lack of numbers both of Officers and Tasers it can take 10-20 minutes to get a taser unit to an incident and by then you are just dealing with the aftermath. The only way to ensure Protection of the public and Officers is everyone routinely carrying one......IMHO

• Like 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

No to arming them, maybe to some carrying a taser and YES to hanging the culprits and yes to charging all with murder not manslaughter as is likely in this latest case as the "weapon" was a car.

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

Entitled twats! Fook 'em. Really get sick of this behaviour and the indignation at the consequences of their actions.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I voted for firearms and Tasers due to the fact that is what we have here.

I have known several officers and they have a very strict protocol around using their firearms. They also carry pepper spray.

I disagree with what happens to officers after a shooting. Someone always carries on about how it could have been avoided.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Fyodor Dostoyevsky said, "You can judge a society by how well it treats its prisoners."

I am guessing that there may have not been very big prisons and nowhere near the crime rate that many countries have now.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

• Gold FFM

Well we must be the best society in the world then. Nice cells. Sky TV. Three good meals a day. Snacks and tea/coffee. Great medical care. etc.  No wonder so many scumbags want to go there as they get all that and don't even need to work or anything ;)

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Hard one for me to say as i do not reside in the UK anymore,  but the normal police over here in Japan are armed and gun crime is pretty low,  a few months ago some nut ran up to a small police station and managed to pull a police officers pistol from his holster,  and shoot the police officer.

But i do not want the UK to end up like America,  plus the fact that firearms require lots of training to use properly and lots of operational experiance to know when and when not to pull the trigger,   I remember watching a British police firearms training session for potential recruits on tv,  luckily using paint ball guns,  one demo was a crazy farmer,  armed with a double barrel shotgun. 

He fired one shot in the air ,  they issue a warning,  he fires another shot in the air,  then one of the police officers shoots him !   On the debrief the chief firearms officers says to the shooter officer "  its a double barrel shotgun,  he fired two shots,  the weapon is empty ans then you decided to shoot him "    Plus many other senarios in the training had shocking blue on blue etc. 

Knife crime needs to be looked into,  longer prison sentances need handing out to deter them,   even a sentance for just carrying one should be issued imo.

In the early days in N.I we used to go under the rules of the red and yellow cards,  this made you think twice about putting a round down the spout or anything outside those rules, you would be in serious trouble.

Guns,  never for normal duty officers, well trained firearms teams yes,   Tazers only for a few standard officers,  you can still do pretty well with pepper spray imo. 

A

I don't think Police being armed will lead to a US situation simply because your average person in the street (or anywhere else) simply doesn't have ready access to guns. We do not (thank God) have the same culture.

Villains and Druggists already have access to illegal firearms so why not stamp hard on the bastards? We achieve nothing by locking anyone up. I personally think that anyone who commits crimes outside of the sphere of harming another human physically should be dealt with outside of the Prison system. Depriving someone of their liberty, who for example, commits fraud probably makes matters worse (introducing them to more crooks). Surely making them pay in a way that benefits society (or better still, the victims) would have much improved outcomes (and at less expense to the Tax payer).

As ever there is never a simple answer but IMO a dead armed 'potential' criminal is better than a dead copper - END OF!

There always needs to be checks and balances but just look at how much money we as a Society spend on inquiries or financial compensation (be it in relation to the Law or NHS or what have you) when that money should be being spent on front line services.

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

While we’re on the subject, I see Tony Martin is back in the news again, 20 years after the event. Apparently opinion is divided on the matter. I recall at the time thinking he should be given a pat on the back and a new box of shotgun shells. My view hasn’t changed since then.

Margate Exotics.

There is a common link between that case and this latest one but not sure if in this day and age whether it is pc to say it

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

The story of Jean Charles de Menezes is a cautionary tale as to why our Bobbies can't be trusted with anything more lethal than a stick. Multiple cock-ups and negligence meant he was shot seven times at close range. Then the Stockwell lies, cover-ups and falsehoods followed in an attempt to disguise their incompetence. 

Absolutely no need to have more of that walking around trigger happy. 

I have always been surprised that the UK Police don’t have Firearms

As an Aussie, which has very strict fire arms laws. Every Australian Police officer carries a flock and a Tazer. 

The restrictions and responsibility and investigations following the the use of the fire arm, has the use very limited.

• Like 1

For a non UK citizen like me it sounds extremly strange and some kind of funny that your really have unarmed police officers. I first thought this is a joke.

So who wants to do this job nowadays with all the violance and terror if you can't defend youself and other people  ? So what the hell do your officers do if the criminal is armed and trying to kill him or others ?

Talking ? praying ? giving flowers?  phone a "real" policeman?

In my country you have to learn 3 years becoming a police officer and learn to handle the firearm, train regulary to keep your firearm and certainly there are strictly rules when it's allowed to shoot or not.

It makes no sense for me and probaly the rest of this world to not give firearms and tasers to the people that must protect you.

• Like 2

There are armed response officers but it's not the norm nor is it wanted to have our police carry firearms as an everyday occurrence. Every so often an incident will highlight  this subject and mean questions like the one Tony posted to be asked. The terror attacks in London and Manchester a couple of years ago caused a spike in favour of the idea, but on the whole the public don't wish to be policed by officers carrying firearms.