free hit
counters
Trackdays & spare wheels - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Martrack

Trackdays & spare wheels

Hi,

I'm new here.
I never drove a Lotus, but I used to run a Megane R26R, on roads and trackdays.
For trackdays, I always brought at least 2 spare wheels, R26R wheels all have the same dimension so it's rather practical.
2 wheels easily go into the boot, even 4, perfect.

I'm today looking and wondering about an Exige.
My question is then simple, how do you manage spare wheels for trackdays ?
Seems difficult to bring 2 spare wheels in the car itself, in addition front and rear wheels do not have the same size...
If you leave home with 50% used tires, and finish them during the trackday, you're almost stuck...
I even do not talk about punctures...
So I wonder 🙂

Thank you very much for your experience sharing !

Mart

Edited by Martrack

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Mart,

Welcome to the forum!

You're absolutely right, there's no way of carrying track wheels in the car, most people either trailer their cars and wheels, or make sure the tyres that they set off with have enough tread on them to get to the track, have their fun, and get home again legally.

The good news is that Exige's are not too hard on tyres, you can expect to get at least a couple of track days out of a set, providing that you are not lighting them up at every opportunity.

20 minutes ago, KennyN said:

you can expect to get at least a couple of track days out of a set, providing that you are not lighting them up at every opportunity

You can certainly get 5-8 dry track days on PSC2, without holding back at all with the amount and level of activity of driving. No need to carry spare wheels. The same for brake pads. You only need something for the fuel or will go to the petrol station after every two average duration (15-25mins) sessions.

• Like 1

As @vd9 says these cars being so light don’t hammer through consumables.

the only thing that would cause you to swap a wheel would be a puncture but I’ve not heard of anyone suffering from that. 

If you want a second set of wheels - then I respect that.

However, I drive to European track days with the wheels on the car, an electric tyre pump and a can of sealant (and a recovery service membership when I remember).

The wet is also fine.

I run an Elise Cup on R888R (sorry interloping here on the V6 forum) - I recently had a track day at Bedford and rain was torrential on the way up - my first wet one in ages - I was grimly looking out at the deluge from the pits and wondering if I should have just stayed in bed - but a friend coaxed me out on track and in fact we had a brilliant time. The tyres genuinely gripped much better than I expected, doing a decent job of clearing the water (ok maybe easier to push at Bedford where there is a wide track and plenty of run off). 

When it dried in the afternoon, we were on the perfect tyres.

Following that, my friend who in the past has religiously incurred all the hassle of second guessing weather conditions and then changing wheels / tyres before the day also decided that he wouldn't in future bother and would just leave the R888R on.

if you run something like a ZZR that has more flat surface and clears water less well, then it might be a different situation.

I assume that something iike a Cup 2 on the Exige would perform similarly to the 888 on the Elise in the wet.

You can do a pretty good season on the Elise and change the R888R's once a year or a bit less(!!). Welcome to the world of Lotus...

Edited by Five50
  • Like 2

Thank you very much for all your answers, really appreciated 👍

On 21/08/2019 at 16:00, KennyN said:

You're absolutely right, there's no way of carrying track wheels in the car, most people either trailer their cars and wheels, or make sure the tyres that they set off with have enough tread on them to get to the track, have their fun, and get home again legally.

From my point of view, benefit of having a street-legal car is to be able to go to the circuit with the car itself.
Once you have a trailer, you're not so far from having a proper race car, with spare slick / wet wheels in the van etc... That's certainly another debate :)

On 21/08/2019 at 16:22, vd9 said:

You can certainly get 5-8 dry track days on PSC2, without holding back at all with the amount and level of activity of driving. No need to carry spare wheels.

Well, I'm really surprised ! 5-8 dry track days !
With an Exige, let's say the Sport 410 ?
That's a lot. R26R front R888 would do between 2 or 3 track days, no more (well, it's a FWD car, rather light though).
Perhaps we could eventually have a second set of wheels at home, and swap before going to the circuit if we are not sure to securely finish the trackday / legally come back from it with the mounted tires, and swap again once back. OK...

On 21/08/2019 at 17:29, BatMobile said:

As @vd9 says these cars being so light don’t hammer through consumables.

the only thing that would cause you to swap a wheel would be a puncture but I’ve not heard of anyone suffering from that. 

I also never experienced this on track. I did on the motorway, going to the track ! Bad luck (thankfully I had my spare wheels).
But this could happen anytime...

20 hours ago, Five50 said:

If you want a second set of wheels - then I respect that.
(...)
I run an Elise Cup on R888R (sorry interloping here on the V6 forum) - I recently had a track day at Bedford and rain was torrential on the way up.
(...)
When it dried in the afternoon, we were on the perfect tyres.
(...)
Welcome to the world of Lotus...

I was more talking about spare wheels of the same type / with the same tires, than a set of dry and a set of wet tires :)
Being able to "finish" tires on track, swap wheels during the trackday, and come back home safely.
But according to the different answers, seems useless to think like this :)
Thank you very much !

Edited by Martrack

4 minutes ago, Martrack said:

Well, I'm really surprised ! 5-8 dry track days !
With an Exige, let's say the Sport 410 ?

Mine is Sport 350, maybe more powerful cars would take care of the rubber faster. Also depends on the surface in the places where you are going to (I mostly visit Castle Combe, Silverstone, Donington). Overall, I'd not bother about spare tyres for Exige.

If you still feel like you'd like to have a bit more of a safety net, perhaps these can be fitted somehow on top of the boot lid. Some people were carrying Chistmas trees there. :thumbsup: