free hit
counters
V8-GT vs S4S Initial comparisons - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
pureguava

V8-GT vs S4S Initial comparisons

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Great post Alastair and thank you. That's an ace combination to own!

@Barrykearley I would like your objective take on this too please (avoiding your V8 supposed fragility and upkeep cost bad mouthing of course!). From what you have posted in the past I think that you probably agree with most of this, particularly your preference for an Esprit (S4/S4s) that you have to work at rather than the easy power of a V8?

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

I know what Barry will say .... unless he recently sold the 4 and bought an 8 ? I can't find a couch hiding emoji but Barry will stick one in soon for me to copy/paste ....tee hee!! 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, pureguava said:

Acceleration: this surprised me.  The S4S is feels so much quicker - at least it feels like it? The 4 cylinder boost comes on hard at 2500 revs and scares me regularly. Maybe this V8 is just smoother in its delivery but it just doesn't give the same feel of mad thrust.  Could this V8 need adjustment on the turbos / actuators? I can put my foot to the floor on the V8 without it going too crazy which I can't do on the 4. I suspect low boost or maybe even a poorly adjusted throttle not getting to 100% WOT .... will figure this out. 

Wasn't the torque restricted at lower RPMs on the V8? 

My old S4s would spin the wheels in third gear on a dry road when the turbo started boosting, now that was fun. :driving:

PS. Good post. :thumbup:

Edited by jonwat

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

1 hour ago, jonwat said:

Wasn't the torque restricted at lower RPMs on the V8?

It was quite restricted on the early V8s but the post Sport 350s ('00 on) inherited the higher torque in the lower gears (2nd to 4th) chip which Alastair's should have.

image.png.4eeec7ccdb0e8e73498f1726c43c2ea8.png

image.png.43d86e0371f75d3ca6e22bbc4ba1da81.png

http://www.freudhoefer.de/lotus/esprit/products/chips/v8.htm

2 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

Great post Alastair and thank you. That's an ace combination to own!

@Barrykearley I would like your objective take on this too please (avoiding your V8 supposed fragility and upkeep cost bad mouthing of course!). From what you have posted in the past I think that you probably agree with most of this, particularly your preference for an Esprit (S4/S4s) that you have to work at rather than the easy power of a V8?

He’s nailed it perfectly 

• Like 1

Only here once

3 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

It was quite restricted on the early V8s but the post Sport 350s ('00 on) inherited the higher torque in the lower gears (2nd to 4th) chip which Alastair's should have.

How did it know which gear was selected?

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Engine rpm against road speed.

Incidentally, Federal post 00 V8s didn't get the uprated chip hence the PUK upgrade option.

1 hour ago, jonwat said:

How did it know which gear was selected?

VSS and engine revs

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

After finally getting the scan tool to work I have found the reason for the underwhelming acceleration on the V8 - there is something stopping the throttle going past 31% open.....😳!!!!

Will update once fixed - I can't wait to see what it will be like with 2/3 more throttle......

• Like 1

He’s broken it.... :sofa:

Only here once

1 hour ago, Mightymetro said:

Looking forward to your update 👍🏻

It's fixed - was a hose clamp stopping throttle movement ! Still surprised how well it went before the fix. 

now it goes like it should - and it goes well.

The acceleration is different from the S4S it's the torque down low you get and it's fantastic.

There is not as a pronounced turbo kick (massive boot in the back side you get with the S4S) with the V8 it just pulls from the start  

They are different and I feel the V8 is more refined in power delivery but the S4S is more "thrilling" ? 

I don't know which I like better as I haven't had a chance to really test the V8. 

• Like 1

On 14/09/2019 at 21:52, pureguava said:

It's fixed - was a hose clamp stopping throttle movement ! Still surprised how well it went before the fix. 

now it goes like it should - and it goes well.

The acceleration is different from the S4S it's the torque down low you get and it's fantastic.

There is not as a pronounced turbo kick (massive boot in the back side you get with the S4S) with the V8 it just pulls from the start  

They are different and I feel the V8 is more refined in power delivery but the S4S is more "thrilling" ? 

I don't know which I like better as I haven't had a chance to really test the V8. 

You need both really :D

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8